Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010

BradMM
Default Shoulder fix

A physical therapist friend of mine turned athletic trainer (mostly writes books now) suggested the following:

Stretch pec minor, strengthen lower trap, strengthen external rotation like in the article, increase your thoracic spine mobility. That should restore most of the issues associated with swimmers shoulder.

Any ideas on how to achieve these? I'm going home to look in my anatomy book.

Here was the link I sent him:

http://www.active.com/swimming/Artic...ticles)&page=2

His comment was, "written by a runner?"
Old 03-05-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Nice article. I have no answers, but I have one experience to share. I learned the feeling of "pulling the shoulder blades back and down" a while back when analysing my difficulty in getting my arms above my head in a tight streamline. It seemed that the more I tried, the more my arms would angle forward. Then I learned to work with my shoulder blades. Instead of reaching and squeezing higher, I focused on pulling the shoulder blades down. It helps and feels totally different.

Terry kind of got me started with shoulder blade awareness. I saw Terry demonstrate shoulder movements for Betterfly training, and he also advocates the "Scapular Push-up" shown in the article. Like many things though, I become aware, practise a little, then a bunch of time goes by before I realise that I had stopped practising!