Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008

weinzwei
Default More Breathing Issues

Help!!, coach Bob gave me some tips to get my SPL down to about 18 SPL per 25 meter pool which is great!! I feel smooth and efficient.

However after 50 meters i feel like i need to stop and catch my breath. I am breathing every other stroke and still don't seem to be getting enough air.

I am a strong runner and cyclist so why do i feel out of breath? I am breathing out under water. My heart rate after i swim 25 meters is about 84 to 104 beats per minute and recovers quickly. When i stop i am not desperatley needing air i just need to take a few good breaths. What gives??

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-16-2008

madvet

And what is your "swim golf" score (SPL plus time per length)?

How big are your breaths?
Old 12-17-2008

daveblt

I seem to have the same problem with running out of breath ,but sometimes when you focused on something new like you mentioned about lowering your SPL you may unconsciously forget about other aspects of your stroke like making sure you are exhaling fully and not holding your breath at any time when your face is in the water.

Dave
Old 12-17-2008

ewa.swimmer
Default Me Too

I can swim for 3 miles and not be out of breath but when I work on TI drills I will often find myself out of breath after 25 yds. I think it is because in drills I go so much slower than whole stroke so there is a longer time between breaths. Sometimes I'm concentrating so hard on my focus I will forget to breathe.

Try calculating your breathing rate while you're doing drills and I bet it's much slower than when you are doing a fast walk.
Old 12-17-2008

Lloyd
Default breathing issues

I have the same problem at 54 and just learning to swim last feb. I now swim the mile three times a week but have resorted to using a snorkle because I cant beat my breathing problem. I dont see any reason to enroll in any workshops and open water swimming is out without the snorkle I havent really learned to swim yet.
Old 12-17-2008

AWP

[quote=weinzwei;752]Help!!

This isn't all together uncommon. Maybe now try just swimming the 50m with a focus solely on ease without regard to spl. That's not to say to swim 'slowly' but do it with deep concentration in particular with regards to your breathing; rhythm.
Now try it again with the same effort but this time count your strokes. Don't try to hit any particular spl just see how many you take with this concentration. Once more.
Don't be alarmed if your count is back up. How was your breathing? Breathless? Over all sense of balance and alignment?
Now perhaps try another length trying to reduce your count by one. Do this with the same effort and attention to balance and 'slipperyness'. How's your breathing? Over all sense of balance and alignment?
Maybe try continuing this process always mindful to keep the same effort bringing the count down only by your 'intent' not by straining.
The minute you feel breathless take it back up (spl) and refocus on your ((effort)); overall sense of balance alignment and slipperyness.

As mentioned the 'strain' can keep you away from air more than you'd like without realizing it.

Perhaps mark your "strained" spl and your "effortless" spl and work to close that gap not by trying but by swimming more efficiently thus effectively.

50m sounds like a good repeat distance for this practice adding timed intervals or breaths (while resting). Soon you'll decrease the intervals an subsequently the distance will increase ... with ease : )
Much luck!
Old 12-17-2008

weinzwei

Ronnier, I swim every M,W,F, Sun, for a total of 3 hours, I have only been working on the TI method for several months. I have also attended the 2 day workshop which was great. Drills that i feel very comfortable with include , Fish, Skate, Underswitch, Zipper Switch, Stop Stop Swith, Triple Switch.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-17-2008

weinzwei

I will get back to you on the golf score.

Jon
Old 12-17-2008

weinzwei

EWA.swimmer - I will try counting my breaths and get back to you.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-17-2008

weinzwei

Thanks , AWP - i will try some of your advice. You are right. If i raise my stroke count i can go farther. In the summer most of the Tri's were only a mile long( with a wet suit). However with a higher SPL i was able to practice 1600 meters without stopping and not feel breathless.

Thanks,

Jon