Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010

tecmo
Default OW + Breathing

I had my first OW swim since starting TI in early January. I am a decent swimmer and have been making good progress in the pool. Well the OW swim was a real eye opener.

For some reason I could not get my "tempo" going. Normally in the pool I am very relaxed and can do a 3 stroke tempo very easy. In the water yesterday I felt like I was running out of breath if I wasn't breathing every 2 strokes.

Possible reasons:
- My wetsuit wasn't on properly (it felt ok) but breathing on my left side was very problematic

- My heart rate was too high (excitement due to the race) and I was running short on oxygen

- Other???

On the good news; there was a 2 minute stretch when I was swimming well and it was incredible how much faster I was. I was literally swimming over people; and doing probably 1/2 the stroke rate. If only I could have gotten into that tempo earlier...

I have made a commitment now to do more open water swimming once the weather warms up a bit.

cheers

b
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by tecmo : 09-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2010

ewa.swimmer
Default Don't you love it!

A big reason I like ow races is that they are not predictable. As you get more experienced you will be able to problem solve easier and quicker. It's impressive that you had a 2 min. stretch of "flow" during your first race. If you can, get in some practices in open water so you can experiment in less a stressful environment.
Old 03-30-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmo View Post
I had my first OW swim since starting TI in early January. I am a decent swimmer and have been making good progress in the pool. Well the OW swim was a real eye opener.

For some reason I could not get my "tempo" going. Normally in the pool I am very relaxed and can do a 3 stroke tempo very easy. In the water yesterday I felt like I was running out of breath if I wasn't breathing every 2 strokes.

Possible reasons:
- My wetsuit wasn't on properly (it felt ok) but breathing on my left side was very problematic

- My heart rate was too high (excitement due to the race) and I was running short on oxygen

- Other???

On the good news; there was a 2 minute stretch when I was swimming well and it was incredible how much faster I was. I was literally swimming over people; and doing probably 1/2 the stroke rate. If only I could have gotten into that tempo earlier...

I have made a commitment now to do more open water swimming once the weather warms up a bit.

cheers

b
Was the water choppy from wind, and even choppy from splash from other swimmers? Was there a noticeable current? Fighting with those things might be a factor as well.
Old 04-08-2010

tecmo

I got the results (split times) from the race and much to my surprise my time was actually decent. I improved from 16 minutes last year to 12:30 this year (1/2 mile swim).

b
________
FIND HEADSHOP

Last edited by tecmo : 09-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2010

madvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmo View Post
I got the results (split times) from the race and much to my surprise my time was actually decent. I improved from 16 minutes last year to 12:30 this year (1/2 mile swim).

b
Kudos! 8 )