Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010
Coach

CoachBobM

I'm convinced that at least half of what we call "the aging process" isn't really aging.

I used to coach a kids' chess team, and every spring we would go to a college near Boston where the kids would play in a tournament against kids from other areas. We went there on a Wednesday and came back the following Saturday, and during the intervening time, my personal habits were significantly different than they are when I'm at home. There was no pool at the college, so I couldn't swim. And the only food available was what they served at the college cafeteria and snack bar, which was definitely nowhere near as healthy as what I ate at home. When we returned, I'd invariably find that I'd put on a few pounds and lost a little ground with my swimming.

Now, imagine if I made these changes to my lifestyle, not for several days, but for several decades. I'd certainly deteriorate physically, and since I was older I could attribute that deterioration to aging. But it wouldn't be true!

There is a genuine aging process, but I'm convinced that much of what we call aging is really preventable, if we take the proper actions.

Bob
Old 03-18-2010

BradMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
There is a genuine aging process, but I'm convinced that much of what we call aging is really preventable, if we take the proper actions.
I most whole heartedly agree but I'm struggling to find my TRUE potential in amongst the various changes my body goes through. In the end, I just keep trying ... just not as hard as before and I feel I'm losing ground because I'm losing confidence. Still, I'm not giving in!
Old 03-18-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM;9661
I most wholeheartedly agree
but I'm struggling to find my TRUE potential in amongst the various changes my body goes through. In the end, I just keep trying ...
just not as hard as before and I feel I'm losing ground
because I'm losing confidence. Still, I'm not giving in!
do n't lose the confidence! you are not alone...
why else would I be brave enuf to belly dance at 54ish
when I would n't dream of it at 24ish!
we are out there!

so what's next?
ya never know!

Last edited by splashingpat : 03-18-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Smile

I can jump rope better now. Why? Slight changes in technique and more relaxation. I'm slightly older than when I started, I've been overeating, and I haven't been exercising as much--at all. Now I can imagine getting more out of jumping. Apparently I didn't need to become younger, stronger, or to try harder. I just needed to be more mindful of the actual experience and find the groove. But as a result, I'm sure my heart and legs will become stronger, my coordination and timing will improve, and I'll feel better overall. It might also help my thinkerer. It also highlights how indirect the process can be for people.

We're not just machines that rely totally on raw computing power and a supply of synthetic oil for our precision parts. We're dynamic, imperfect, and a bit mysterious. That's kind of cool. heh
Old 03-18-2010

BradMM

I couldn't do chins/pullups as a kid but, at about age 50, I started doing them and I do them all the time now. Maybe we can even get BETTER at some things!
Old 03-18-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I couldn't do chins/pullups as a kid but, at about age 50, I started doing them and I do them all the time now. Maybe we can even get BETTER at some things!

OK, your attitude and motivation have been repaired. Get going! hahaha