Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010

aerogramma
Default TI in busy lanes

Hello everyone,
I've been practising TI for about 2 months now (with the dvd help, no TI classes here unfortunately!).
I can already see some huge changes in my swimming, every now and then I get a few strokes right and the gliding feeling is really great.

However the pool where I swim is quite busy so you happen to swim with up to 2 more swimmers in the same lane.

This leads to 2 issues to solve, for me at least:

- Achieving wide tracks action is harder as you often bump into the lanes plastic divider

- I now swim with my head deeper under water, more 'face down' than before thus I tend to have lesser clear idea of where I am in the lane with respect to the other swimmers.
I noticed that I practice TI teachings much better if alone in the lane

I was wondering if anyone else here has encountered similar issues and has advice to share

thanks and all the best!

val
Old 03-11-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

First, if you are only having to share with 1 other person in a lane, that isn't busy. That is a blessing. 3 or more per lane is when it is busy.

If you do find yourself having to share, make the suggestion to take sides. That way you don't have to worry about where the other person is in relation to you. You will have half the lane to yourself and the other person will have half the lane.

If a 3rd person joins the lane, circle swim. If you keep the strip on the bottom of the pool in your vision and stay on the side of it you are suppose too, then you won't have a problem with approaching traffic. If you are worried about catching up to someone, you will feel their wake as you approach them.

If you are worried about being caught, the person closing in from behind will probably see before catching you. That person will either go around you at this point or wait to pass you at the wall.

If you get to the wall and realize a faster swimmer is closing in to the wall, let that swimmer go. You won't have to worry about you and that person trying to push off the wall at the same time.
Old 03-12-2010

Edd78

The reason why you don't swim as well when they are other people in your lane is because your stress level probably raises up one notch, I know I get the same when in a busy lane so I always start swimming with a heavy focus on relaxing in those instances (close on yourself try to forget the other swimmers around you).

As to busy lane, 2 people in your lane is not busy! I swim in 3 different swimming pools, 2 around where I live where you usually get 3 or 4 people in my lane, and the last one downtown Paris where I work, where I get up to ... 10 people in a lane! I usually swim there purely for fitness because it's impossible to keep a focus on being relaxed ^^.
Old 03-15-2010

aerogramma

Thanks for all the advice!

I was of the lanes' etiquette as I have been swimming in pools all my life :) and yes perhaps 2 people is not that busy!

I'm probably spolied now to be in a country where swimming poools are so common, not so long ago while in London it was almost impossible to swim as pools are few and overcrowded.

After today's practice I still noticed that I tend to bump into the lane dividers.
It's probably because before TI, I used to swim close to those dividers to give me some visual feedback on my speed and flow.

I'll try to be more in centre of the lane from now on, probably it's also a useful excercise to improve your balance while skating.

all the best from here

val
Old 03-16-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
I'm probably spoiled now to be in a country where swimming pools are so common, not so long ago while in London it was almost impossible to swim as pools are few and overcrowded.
Which country are you in now that has so many pools?
Old 03-16-2010

krzych

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogramma View Post
- I now swim with my head deeper under water, more 'face down' than before thus I tend to have lesser clear idea of where I am in the lane with respect to the other swimmers.
When you catch up with a slower swimmer you can feel his splashing.
In that case you can start doing a drill to slow down.
When someone yields you then it is his problem to overtake you.

What really annoys me in busy lanes are people who swim tragically, splash water around and not even stop for a moment to think about how they swim.
Old 03-17-2010

daveblt

What annoys me are,

Swimmers who don't realize ( or maybe they just don't want to for some strange reason) that you have to circle swim when there are 3 or more

If there is one other swimmer we split the lane but this person is swimming in such a way that takes up almost the whole lane by spreading themselves out with something like elementary backstroke or a real wide breaststroke and keeps bumping in to me .

We are circle swimming and a faster swimmer passes a slow one by cutting over in to the opposite lane and almost causing a head on collision with me

When I swim I always stay in my lane and if someone is waiting on deck and there are already two swimmers I will ask them if they want to circle

IT JUST TAKES A LITTLE COMMON SENSE AND COURTESY, THAT'S ALL !

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 03-17-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2010

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Which country are you in now that has so many pools?
Italy, Rome :)
Old 03-17-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzych View Post
When you catch up with a slower swimmer you can feel his splashing.
In that case you can start doing a drill to slow down.
When someone yields you then it is his problem to overtake you.

What really annoys me in busy lanes are people who swim tragically, splash water around and not even stop for a moment to think about how they swim.
One doesn't have to slow down when overtaking a slower swimmer. This is a good time to practice a sighting stroke. Take a peek to see if someone is coming in the opposite direction. If no one is approaching, then swing out and pass the slower swimmer.

If someone is approaching, then one can practice drafting or swimming at a different tempo.

Why does it annoy you if people are swimming without thinking about how they swim? Everyone swims for different reasons. Not everyone cares about how the swim. Sometimes people just want to move up and down the pool withouth worrying about little details.
Old 03-17-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
What annoys me are,

Swimmers who don't realize ( or maybe they just don't want to for some strange reason) that you have to circle swim when there are 3 or more

If there is one other swimmer we split the lane but this person is swimming in such a way that takes up almost the whole lane by spreading themselves out with something like elementary backstroke or a real wide breaststroke and keeps bumping in to me .

We are circle swimming and a faster swimmer passes a slow one by cutting over in to the opposite lane and almost causing a head on collision with me

When I swim I always stay in my lane and if someone is waiting on deck and there are already two swimmers I will ask them if they want to circle

IT JUST TAKES A LITTLE COMMON SENSE AND COURTESY, THAT'S ALL !

Dave
Dave
You could ask 'em if they are interested in learning to drill
and could split the lanes and swim real slow (like ya do!)
You could do that!
splashin' dancin' and one day swimming the TI WAY LIKE DAVE!
and posting Pat

Last edited by splashingpat : 03-17-2010 at 02:15 PM.