Old 03-14-2010

MarkkuS
Default The Truth About Swimming And Weight Loss

Losing weight with swimming or not?

See: http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...h/swimming.htm
Old 03-14-2010

tteagord
Default this article makes sense to me

Most people say I am tiny at 5'1" and 98 pounds. I was a martial artist and got injured in March of 2009. Before the injury, I weighed 103 pounds then immediately dropped 5 pounds. I began swimming in August of 2009 and lost 4more pounds. Then, winter hit and I have put on 4 pounds. The temperature of the (outdoor) pool is cooler in the winter than in the summer. As the temperature of the pool decreases, the appetite increases. I wonder if my appetite will decrease as the pool gets warmer. I could guess I eat 2000 calories a day with a cooler pool, and about 1800 calories in a warmer pool. Before swimming, my body fat was 12%, I wonder where it is now. Very interesting article. I never put the two together. Thank you for posting.
Old 03-14-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Have a light snack to calm the hunger and you should be fine.
Old 03-20-2010

Rhoda

I'm not sure I agree about the increase in appetite. I don't feel any hungrier after swimming outdoors in cold lake or sea water than I do after swimming in an indoor heated pool. However, I have gained weight on Swimtrek tours, even while consciously trying to eat no more than usual.
An Irish couple on the last trip were describing their local open water club, and mentioned a clubmate who had a thick layer of fat all around his torso from swimming every day, year 'round, in the Irish sea with no wetsuit. He referred to it as his "bioprene".
When Lynn Cox was training for her extreme cold water swims, she was carefully monitored by hypothermia researchers. She added body fat even with no extra calories. So perhaps the body tries to protect itself by adding the insulation.
In any case, it's subcutaneous fat, which has no ill effect on health. It's the viscous fat - the classic "beer belly" - that does the damage over time.
Old 03-23-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Have a light snack to calm the hunger and you should be fine.
I totally agree with Shuumai--a post-swim snack is essential. A few other things I've found:
1.) If I swim first thing in the morning and then eat a good breakfast afterwards, I'm in good shape hunger-wise for the day. If I swim on an empty stomach any other time of the day, my appetite is positively insatiable for the rest of the day.
2.) Anytime I push myself harder than I'm used to, I get extra hungry. For example, a normal swim for me is about 2200 yards at a relaxed pace. I can swim further or faster without hitting that wall, but not both. Yesterday, I swam 2800 yards in masters practice, at a faster pace than I'm used to. I'm sure the number of extra calories I consumed to calm my hunger was greater than the number of extra calories I burned in my more intense workout.
3.) I don't experience a difference on the cold vs. hot water. During the summer in Arizona, our overnight temperatures can stay above 100 (38c), so the pools get really warm. If anything, I get more hungry swimming in a hot pool; I seem to hit that wall on less intense workouts.

I find it very easy to maintain my weight while swimming. If I'm trying to drop a few pounds after the holidays or a vacation, though, I have to manage my calorie intake carefully to keep from feeling hungry. I usually eat a lot of snacks and small meals. During that time, I either avoid pushing myself too hard or just accept that I'm going to go over my calorie target on those days.

I personally have never been able to lose weight thru exercise alone--I always have to count calories, regardless of the type of exercise. All exercise makes me feel hungry right afterwards, but swimming is the only one that can give me that insatiable feeling if I'm not careful.
Old 03-24-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
I usually eat a lot of snacks and small meals.
That's something I'm always suggesting. It was summed up on the telly the other day as the "rule of 2's." Eat twice as often, eat half as much, and chew twice as long. And, in my mind, that doesn't include snacks! haha
Old 03-24-2010

haschu33
Thumbs up Don't count, eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
I'm not sure I agree about the increase in appetite. ...
I don't have increase in appetite - not from swimming. There was a time when I went to work by bike, it took me about 45 min fast riding. I developed an incredible appetite at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
When Lynn Cox was training for her extreme cold water swims, she was carefully monitored by hypothermia researchers. She added body fat even with no extra calories. So perhaps the body tries to protect itself by adding the insulation.
Like my dog did in autumn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
I find it very easy to maintain my weight while swimming. If I'm trying to drop a few pounds after the holidays or a vacation, though, I have to manage my calorie intake carefully to keep from feeling hungry. I usually eat a lot of snacks and small meals. During that time, I either avoid pushing myself too hard or just accept that I'm going to go over my calorie target on those days.

I personally have never been able to lose weight thru exercise alone--I always have to count calories, regardless of the type of exercise. All exercise makes me feel hungry right afterwards, but swimming is the only one that can give me that insatiable feeling if I'm not careful.
I am neither obsessed with a low stroke count nor with my weight. So I never count calories. When I want to loose weight I even more don't care about calories. Eating less makes me hungry and then I start to eat junk food. I simply watch what I am eating, not how much. I eat 'good' food (my wife cooks really well), lot's of vegetables, no sweets and sugar, absolutely no junk food and I go out to eat only very rarely. I don't like fatty food anyway. I am vegetarian but that doesn't make a difference for the weight, I guess. And, no snacks.
The disadvantage of eating less is the decrease in the basic metabolic rate. The effect of that is that the body immediately starts to store (fat) if you eat more. So then you always have to stay at eating less, and you are always a little hungry. No fun.

There is a German nutritionist who was asked what he would do to loose weight. He simply said: eat more.

Good news of the day :-))
Old 03-28-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
I don't have increase in appetite - not from swimming. There was a time when I went to work by bike, it took me about 45 min fast riding. I developed an incredible appetite at that time.

Like my dog did in autumn...

I am neither obsessed with a low stroke count nor with my weight.
So I never count calories. When I want to loose weight I even more don't care about calories. Eating less makes me hungry and then I start to eat junk food. I simply watch what I am eating, not how much. I eat 'good' food (my wife cooks really well), lot's of vegetables, no sweets and sugar, absolutely no junk food and I go out to eat only very rarely. I don't like fatty food anyway
I am vegetarian but that doesn't make a difference for the weight, I guess. And, no snacks.

The disadvantage of eating less is the decrease in the basic metabolic rate. The effect of that is that the body immediately starts to store (fat) if you eat more. So then you always have to stay at eating less, and you are always a little hungry. No fun.

There is a German nutritionist who was asked what he would do to loose weight. He simply said: eat more.

Good news of the day :-))
a vegetarian . . . I am not
My dad was a meat cutter...

My dog loved when my DAD came home...& so did I
he always brought home the best cuts of meat!

I guess I was brought up wrong!
Old 03-29-2010

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashingpat View Post
a vegetarian . . . I am not

I guess I was brought up wrong!
There is nothing wrong in not being a vegetarian ... Just enjoy it ...
And, let me put it this way, once you are being brought up there is no question of right or wrong any more, it's too late anyway ;-) Just enjoy whoever you are and make the best out of it. And don't blame parents or destiny or the administration or the weather or whatever and whoever ... for something being wrong - its not gonna help you.

But I guess it was not serious anyway, Pat. There are worse things than being fed the best cuts of meat...
Old 03-29-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

I actually have put on weight as I continue to swim, which seems odd. I put on 2 waist sizes, and had to buy 2 pairs of new board shorts in 6 months. I can squeeze into one pair still. Do you think this weight shift is odd?