Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2010
CoachBobM CoachBobM is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 647
CoachBobM
Default The effects of endurance exercise training on cognitive function in older adults

An article titled "Chronic endurance exercise training prevents aging-related cognitive decline in healthy older adults: a randomized controlled trial" appeared in the December 23, 2009 issue of the International Journal of Geriatriatric Psychiatry and reported the results of a one-year study in which a group of 60 subjects aged 65-74 years were placed in a supervised Endurance Exercise Training program for one year. Cognitive function was assessed at the beginning and end of the study, both in the 60 patients who were treated and in a control group of 60 patients who did not receive the same treatment. Subjects in the treatment group were 2.74 times as likely to have maintained stable cognitive status at the end of the year than were subjects in the control group.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2010
Grant Grant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sooke, BC. Canada
Posts: 581
Grant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
An article titled " Subjects in the treatment group were 2.74 times as likely to have maintained stable cognitive status at the end of the year than were subjects in the control group.
Thanks for posting this, Bob. It corresponds with my own experience. I have done endurance practices either by running or swimming for 35 yrs and now at 74 it is only in the last year that I have felt a slippage. I would encourage everyone to maintain their practices as long as it is possible. Even tho I experience some reduction in the above I hate to think what it would of been like if I had not been doing the regimen.
__________________
May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2010
BradMM BradMM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 138
BradMM
Default

Too bad it doesn't help REGAIN some of that!

Slipping at 55...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2010
Grant Grant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sooke, BC. Canada
Posts: 581
Grant
Default

A friend at the last Masters meet I was at contributed what I thought was an inciteful comment, which follows.
The person that slows down the slowest is the likely winner.
__________________
May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2010
BradMM BradMM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 138
BradMM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
A friend at the last Masters meet I was at contributed what I thought was an inciteful comment, which follows.
The person that slows down the slowest is the likely winner.
What does that mean to you?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2010
Grant Grant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sooke, BC. Canada
Posts: 581
Grant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
What does that mean to you?
The context of our conversation was the erosion of our racing times as we aged especially upon reaching the 60's or the 70's. We all had had that experience. So his comment was speaking to that trend. The one who could slow down the slide the most would have the best chance to win a race. So what that means to me is to be constantly looking for improved technique and appropriate intensity of practice. As well as good nutrition and loosening/stretching habits (yoga and such) and core strengthening work.
__________________
May we swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2010
BradMM BradMM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 138
BradMM
Default

Slowing down the aging slide is high on my list, too! I'd love to have a whole forum just to stay in touch with people on that very topic. I'm 55 now but the reason that I do what I do (swim, lift, read a lot) is for that very purpose. Most of the fitness forums that I've visited are dominated by the 20-somethings.

Thanks!

Brad
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2010
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Slowing down the aging slide is high on my list, too! I'd love to have a whole forum just to stay in touch with people on that very topic. I'm 55 now but the reason that I do what I do (swim, lift, read a lot) is for that very purpose. Most of the fitness forums that I've visited are dominated by the 20-somethings.
Do you want to create a fitness forum? It really isn't that hard to create a forum like we have here. Inexpensive Web hosting, a domain name, and free software is all it takes.

This reminds of a line from "The Peaceful Warrior" movie. "Those who are the hardest to love need it the most." When it comes to fitness, those who are older, weaker, and less fit need exercise the most, yet they are less likely to be active compared to younger, more fit people. Or at least younger people talk about fitness more on the Web.

You can do your best to be as fit as you can, but to not accept natural aging would be counter productive to having a relaxed state of mind. Aging involves change and eventually death. Sorry. heh (I'm actually trying to express something helpful, but it isn't quite working out.) And stressing over it could make it happen sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2010
BradMM BradMM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 138
BradMM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
Do you want to create a fitness forum? It really isn't that hard to create a forum like we have here. Inexpensive Web hosting, a domain name, and free software is all it takes.
Yes, I've created a few forums but I don't sometimes have the patience to wait until they are "populated." On the other hand, there's a couple that have been around for 15 +/- years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
This reminds of a line from "The Peaceful Warrior" movie. "Those who are the hardest to love need it the most." When it comes to fitness, those who are older, weaker, and less fit need exercise the most, yet they are less likely to be active compared to younger, more fit people. Or at least younger people talk about fitness more on the Web.
Or more succinctly, youth is wasted on the young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
You can do your best to be as fit as you can, but to not accept natural aging would be counter productive to having a relaxed state of mind. Aging involves change and eventually death. Sorry. heh (I'm actually trying to express something helpful, but it isn't quite working out.) And stressing over it could make it happen sooner.
As my children have told me, DENIAL is not just a river in Egypt!

Enjoyed your feedback, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2010
shuumai shuumai is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,077
shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
Or more succinctly, youth is wasted on the young.

As my children have told me, DENIAL is not just a river in Egypt!
Yes, you've summed it up quite nicely.

I'd say that youth is wasted on teen-agers. Younger kids and older people seems to have better insight when it comes to living. Blame the hormones. heh

A question you might ask your children: Do you think you will automatically be as fit as I am when you reach my current age?

To quote the Dalai Lama, "...instead of avoiding these sufferings, we deliberately visualise them--the sufferings of birth, the sufferings of aging, the sufferings of fluctuations of status, the sufferings of uncertainty within this lifetime, and the sufferings of death. We deliberately try to think of them so that when we do face them, we are prepared."

Meanwhile, it can't hurt to get up and exercise a bit!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.