Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018

WFEGb

Hello liolio,

Quote:
I don't know something related to my account. I use chrome by the way, I worked in IT support for a while I used to be comfortable with technology...
I gueess you guys will cope with the missing words, misspelling, etc. lol
Last try: Seems you're privatizing your IP-address in some way? ... Am missing the "Edit"-button too, when logged in with Tor-browser...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 08-16-2018
whoiscathy

Default New accounts - editing problem

There's no edit button for several "newly" registered accounts and your name is not clickable. I'm the same. it's some kind of account activation/settings problem. I've already tried to sort it with Keith, without success. I tried 2 different laptops, 2 phones and 1 tablet with all sorts of browsers, to no avail.

A trick I found is to edit it through:

I first need to figure out the post number. I can see that when I hoover the mouse over the Quote button. My post is, say, #64967. Then I just put this link in the titlebar https://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/ editpost.php?p=64967&do=editpost (remove the spaces!) and voila, I can edit.
Old 08-16-2018
whoiscathy

I've been around since November 2017, that's why I put "newly" in quotation marks.... it's a VERY annoying bug!!!
Old 08-16-2018
liolio

Great thanks!
How is your swimming by the way?
Old 08-16-2018
whoiscathy

One word: horrendous!
Old 08-17-2018
liolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiscathy View Post
One word: horrendous!
Well you say that as you are unhappy with the pace at which you are closing in with your goals or because you don't enjoy it?
For me enjoying it is the more important, listen to the skin, the proprioception, the feel of it all. A teacher is insightfull so is you body.

I spend quite sometime fighting with front crawl it start to come together though had I only focus on front crawl I would dare to say that my swimming history would be much more frustrating.
WHen I swim I like to enjoy, so a do some work on front crawl (and for months I pased actually) but I do lot of dolphin undulation at the push when I feel like it. I train to do dolphin on the back (which still feel my sinus... though for some reason less than my dreadful flip turns... lol), I do lots of breaststroke (the most natural stroke for me), I also do a lot back stroke.
Whenever I feel like it I train to dive/starts.

That is a lot of thing to do whereas only my front crawl bothers me, I was slow at first in backstroke, dolphin.. the same it took me a while before I had the arm in front. I did supa slow 50m length doing crappy dolphin kick and breast arm... I mean that can be punishing in many way, it is tiring done wrong and you can get passed by gramma doing gramma's breast => you feel the butthurt slightly lol I see plenty of people that can't go through that they put on palm and what not.
I was not concerned either with my speed in backstroke, I used it a relax stroke, no stress on breathing, supposedly good for you back, etc.
The thing is the feel for the water is the same and you will sure learn things that you will use consciously or not use during front crawl.
Flip turn are also interesting (mine is still quite ridiculous but I know where to go further leverage the head up then down and a lot more relaxation.. such a key word in swimming).

Point is my goal is to be able to swim say a triathlon, short open water event. Now I realized I want and can learn all 4/5 strokes and that I could enjoy also shorter event if my swimming level allows.
It is a state of mind don't get too focused on a single goal or technical element, indeed you can do exercices about this and that but ultimately it is one stroke, as for swimming it is not "reall" about your goal, or even feeling comfortable in the water, it is about YOU spending your freetime in an element you have to like so enjoy. Enjoy is the best motivation there is and there are a lot of thing to enjoy. It is great to have a playbook you want to follow to get from A to B, it never worked for me, it worked for you and might very well keep working though water is many things among which stuborn, it won't bind to anybody's will.

Keep the playbook but you could consider "letting go" a lot more. Swimming is a bout swimming, front wrawl is only.

PS I do not care if you post/hijack in thread in the slightest :) Makes things a little chaotic but that is life and the only known way to get a conversation going. Not everything happen in an expectable manner that is fine (with me at least).
Old 08-18-2018
whoiscathy

Default Liolio

Mainly my body position that has broken down - I'm not nearly horizontal anymore, but uphill. Stroke count is up, and I'm much slower (ca 30% slower) than I used to be, although I can consistently get air now, and over a long distance, however me swimming that long distance is such a pain to watch. Can't swim with my earlier stroke count/tempo/speed now even if I hold my breath and go one length without breathing.

Could have to do with a substantial, stress-related weight loss and weight distribution change (lost 10% of bodyweight when I had already been very skinny to begin with) and likely, the associated loss of strength (which I can feel), and/or some detrimental technical flaws I got myself into when swimming without coaching/feedback for months, all the while trying to learn to breathe.
Old 08-18-2018
whoiscathy

Default Stroke count

To give you an idea:

I used to do 25m with 16 strokes without effort, 17-18 as I was getting tired, and could do 15 if I made an effort.

Now 20 is default, 19 is pushing it, and 17 took ALL my mental effort and concentration and I could only do it once during the last month's sessions, for one single length.
Old 08-19-2018

Tom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiscathy View Post
To give you an idea:

I used to do 25m with 16 strokes without effort, 17-18 as I was getting tired, and could do 15 if I made an effort.

Now 20 is default, 19 is pushing it, and 17 took ALL my mental effort and concentration and I could only do it once during the last month's sessions, for one single length.
I haven't counted my strokes for a long time, I suspect it's over 20 for 25 metres, but at that count I can sprint 25 metres in under 20 seconds from a push off. Last time I raced my daughter in the 50 metre pool I think it took about 42 seconds.

Fair to say I don't count strokes and don't care how many it takes, learning to swim in my late 40's and now being in my 50's able to swim continuously albeit slowly or knock out a fast 50 metres gives me an exercise option for the rest of my life.

Perseverance and not setting goals too high got me to this point.
Old 08-19-2018
whoiscathy

Good for you. I can't sprint to savd my life. I have non-existent catch and I feel real time as I slip. But even if I had good catch I couldn't recover my arms fast enough for sprinting. I feel tremendous tension in my shoulders. Somrtimes so much it almost hurts.