Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Lilio,

Swimming 40 s in 50m is a 1:20/100m pace, thatís excellent. Given your description on breathing difficutly is certainly the exchange is not quite right yet. The source of the lack of exchange is usually tight chest, shoulders and neck - even if youíre in posture. One thing I have discovered that helps swimmers reduce this tension is to breathe on oneís, swimmer dosesnít have time to get out of posture and must be relaxed in chest, shoulder and neck to breathe on oneís

What is breathing on oneís? You breathe toward shoulder on one stroke then breathe toward opposite shoulder on next stroke. Itís also a good strategy to get more air when you need in open water, and in the pool before the turn and after the turn. Sun Yang and Katie Ledecky use this strategy going into and bouncing off the wall too; and in the middle of the length when they need air.

Start off the wall breathing on twoís (breathing on second stroke in cycle), then occasionally try breathing on oneís just for two strokes or single stroke cycle. Donít breathe on oneís (everything stroke) for the length or more than two strokes.

Give it a try. If you get air on both left and right shoulder breathing on oneís, you will become aware of the air exchange issues that are leaving you breathless, and will also find you donít have time to be breathless :-)

Stu
Mindbodyandswim.com
Old 08-13-2018
liolio

Thanks for the cheering and advices. I indeed feel tense and a lot of!time air does not come in.
I notice that when breathing happens right it does not take long at all to fill the lumbs, though I've yet to properly gets what isnworng and where the tensions are.

I'll put your advice into practice to rythmically force exhalation as well as keeping alignement while move the head twice in row. I find that breathing twice in row all the time is too much for me for now (I may breathe to hard or as if I were to do 2, 3,4 or more strokes).
I can already tell the extra air convenient. I tend to breath randomly (on short distances in don't get into"a" rhythme) it helps recovering went delayed breathing a tad too long. An awesome tool ( once properly'mastered).

I won't give up on Gary Hall Jr approach so soon though, it can't arm to invest some more time in it. He is an olympian and he uses it. The argument he makes is sound to me. Now it is a different rhythme (faster) than any other stroke I use, I may be used to big gulps of air. I've to relax 😁
Old 08-13-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Lilio,

Yup - it's all about relaxing (the shoulders, neck, chest) which allows a non labored, relaxed exchange of air. I use the Hall Jr pattern as well, 2,2,3,2,2,3,2.... to help maintain symmetry and force me to breathe on the weaker side every 3rd cycle. Frequently I use 2,2,4,2,2,4,2,... where I'm breathing, same side but have 4 strokes every 3rd cycle to reset posture. Also use 2,2,2,1,2,2,2,1,2... where I switch sides breathing on 1's every 4th cycle

Have several patterns to choose from and use the one that fulfills the air requirement given the (changing) conditions and/or event you're swimming.

Stu
mindbodyandswim.com
Old 08-14-2018
liolio

It is great tool. It felt better today, as I force myself to with a lesser breath one "ones" followed by a standard breath one the "two".
It will need quite a lot more work for me for the rythme to settle in but I actually think I may be able maintain close to pure 2:3. The first breath has to be tiny enough to mostly completely exhaled though the nose before the "two".
Taking overall tiny breaths made those breaths short /quick, I could feel the impact on my alignement on a couple moves then the feel slept BUT it motivates mee to keep walking that path some more :)

WHereas I'm more of a natural breaststroker I start to really enjoy front crawl and its feel when things start to come together it is indeed "smoother".
Old 08-14-2018
liolio

Default OFF topic

I do a lot but a lot of misspelling, I also tend to forget words here and there, etc.
Usually in forum I spent some time rereadding and correcting my post, is there an option avalaible here to edit posts?
Old 08-14-2018

WFEGb

Hello liolio,

Quote:
Usually in forum I spent some time rereadding and correcting my post, is there an option avalaible here to edit posts?
... there should be an "Edit"-button right down in all you own posts. (Edit, Quote, Multiquote, Quick Reply) You should be logged in to find...

Best regards,
Werner

Last edited by WFEGb : 08-14-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Works :-)
Old 08-15-2018
liolio

For some reason the edit button is missing (I've the three others). May be I need to reach a given number of posts?
Old 08-15-2018

borate

It's just to the left of the QUOTE button. Are you logged in? Are you looking at one of your own posts?
Old 08-15-2018

WFEGb

Hello liolio,

Quote:
For some reason the edit button is missing (I've the three others). May be I need to reach a given number of posts?
Hmm...which browser do you use? Ever gave an other a try?

Best regards,
Werner
Old 08-16-2018
liolio

I don't know something related to my account. I use chrome by the way, I worked in IT support for a while I used to be comfortable with technology...
I gueess you guys will cope with the missing words, misspelling, etc. lol

Back to business great seance today.
Breathing on consecutive strokes is sinking in and it is super convenient.
I kind of naturally went up to three in row on a length today (guess I needed it).
I can't stick to a pure 2:3, I'll keep trying longer it ma help me to discover tensions technical flows, etc.

I investigate my breathing having your advices about relaxion in mind coach Stuart and I felt much BETTER today. Indeed I was focus on where are my head and shoulder, my alignement, the head elevation, body rotation, etc
Shortly put everything but the actual breathing, like any other part of the stroke it is a technical element. So today I focused on consciously relax while reaching the breathing postion and it works great. Trying to rush to get more air makes things worse, OK you manage for yourself a longer breathing windows but tensions prevent the air to really go in.
As a bonus, that relaxation in turn relax the all stroke, it is like those "fascia release". Not perfect yet but the simple fact to add breathing itself to the list of the conscious technical elements you have sort of did most of the work for me.
It is nothing, just a fraction of second when you think "about letting oneself go" before reach the breathing position but the difference is night and day.