Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2016

lloyddinma
Default Michael Phelps: Tokyo 2020

Let's be clear. The only reason why he did not take home the gold and lost to Schooling is because he was physically and mentally fatigued . If that was his only race he would have won!

There is talk about Tokyo 2020. Initially, I speculated he was coming back. Sadly, after watching the Spooling event, I have switched again to thinking his retirement is eminent. I think this because I feel that many including himself believe the loss signifies a subtle writing on the wall. It is not!

Clearly, we are living in very strange and different times with a much wider generational differential. Furthermore, the "truths" no longer apply -- hint Ledecky. Most of the dissection and analysis I read and watch,although somewhat valid, have a 20/20-hindsight feel to them. Not to sound metaphysical but sometimes, it is just not your day: Nathan Adrian. He sort of narrowed the lead Phelps built in the 4 × 100 metres.

In this informational or personal development age, 30 is sort of like the new 23. Phelps is still young. He can still come back. He should come back, perharps narrowing down his races and competing event by event. If that leads to Tokyo 2020, so be it.

And there are all these theories as to why Phelps is the most decorated. One is that swimming has more categories than other events. Interestingly, that's all the more reason he should be applauded, he spreads himself so thin.

Am I biased towards Phelps? Somewhat. But, it is more than the medals. I like his narrative and attitude.

:)

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.

Last edited by lloyddinma : 08-13-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: ...
Old 08-15-2016

Danny

I'll take a different stand on this. As I watch all the journalists asking Phelps over and over again whether or not he will come back, I find myself trying to figure out what I would tell these people if I were in his shoes.

So here is what I would tell them if I were Michael Phelps :o) First of all, olympic competition is not a lifetime profession. The decision that Phelps is confronting right now is not unique to him. Everyone who has ever aspired to compete in Olympic competition has to decide when it is time to move on. So in this sense, Phelps is just one more athlete trying to figure this out. Second, preparing for olympic competition is incredibly hard work and I suspect that most outsiders have no idea how difficult this can be. The right time to quit is when you have other ideas about what you want to do with your life and you are interested in giving them a try, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find and thrive in that new life. I don't know what ideas Phelps has for his new life, but I do think that the longer he waits to get on with it, the more difficult the transition will be. Hopefully by the time he gets to be my age, his olympic medals will have diminished in importance in comparison to all of his other personal achievements in life, including his family.
Old 08-16-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'll take a different stand on this. As I watch all the journalists asking Phelps over and over again whether or not he will come back, I find myself trying to figure out what I would tell these people if I were in his shoes.

So here is what I would tell them if I were Michael Phelps :o) First of all, olympic competition is not a lifetime profession. The decision that Phelps is confronting right now is not unique to him. Everyone who has ever aspired to compete in Olympic competition has to decide when it is time to move on. So in this sense, Phelps is just one more athlete trying to figure this out. Second, preparing for olympic competition is incredibly hard work and I suspect that most outsiders have no idea how difficult this can be. The right time to quit is when you have other ideas about what you want to do with your life and you are interested in giving them a try, but the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find and thrive in that new life. I don't know what ideas Phelps has for his new life, but I do think that the longer he waits to get on with it, the more difficult the transition will be. Hopefully by the time he gets to be my age, his olympic medals will have diminished in importance in comparison to all of his other personal achievements in life, including his family.

The stand is noted. However, It does seem that you're attacking strawmen here. The issue is not whether training is a cakewalk or whether Phelps must and has the right to retire. It is whether or not he has it in him to continue on. (Keep in mind, he had a family when he decided to come back.)

I think he does. Many differ and have differed extending to when he announced he was coming back from retirement --- the latter including seasoned members of his profession who know that training is hard work, like you have rightly pointed. The accuracy of those prophecies speaks for themselves. I confess I was one of those "outsiders" who believed he made the right move.

Now, I am not aware there is any such thing as a lifetime profession in any endeavour or field. There must be retirement at some point. Yet, winning just a bronze medal has lifetime ramifications.

On the subject of having a yardstick for deciding when to quit, I am unable to verify that having other ideas necessitates that it is time to move on. First, one has to condsider if their other ideas are relatively superior.

Now this is my subjective opinion: Winning a gold medal or medal of any kind is a huge deal. Winning 23 is beyond quantifiable! More than that, we have the right to be speechless.

These other "ideas" probably fall into 2 categories: ultimately money and family obligation. The latter is justifiable. You can't put a price on family. Wrt the former, what groundbreaking idea do we have? Does he have an idea to own acompany maufacturing goggles? Does he need the money, which is chasing after him right now and more than ever?

We can never know what his thought process has been. However, one good indication could be from an ESPN documentary he gave prior to coming back. During his low point, he read the popular Rick Warren book, "Purpose Driven Life." Apparently, that was his spiritual motivation to come back. A lot of the insiders thought he was out of his mind. I think Ryan Lochte was in that cadre.

The underlying point I was trying to put across was to the notion of avoiding old paradigms. Afterall, Michael Phelps has defied at least one.

-- Lao Tzu
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 08-18-2016

Richardsk

It's probably selfish of me but I hope Phelps doesn't retire completely and is in a position to consider coming back in 2020. I realise that he has a life to live and a wife and child to consider but I'm sure he can fit it in with his coaching duties and all the other things he has to do. After all, the great coach,James 'Doc' Counsilman, found time to keep in shape and swim the English Channel as a relatively old man. At the time he was the oldest to swim the channel at 58, but many others considerably older have succeeded him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Counsilman
Old 08-18-2016
ti97

Don't believe the media!

Four years is a long time, and MP is not a loafer without ambitions.
Old 08-21-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
Don't believe the media!

Four years is a long time, and MP is not a loafer without ambitions.
What do you mean by " ...not a loafer without ambitions." ? Could you clarify please?

-- Lao Tzu
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 08-22-2016
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyddinma View Post
What do you mean by " ...not a loafer without ambitions." ? Could you clarify please?
no way this guy is retiring....too much drive....see the death stare he gave that South African?
Old 08-22-2016

Richardsk

Well the South African was being very silly and deserved a death stare. He didn't actually die but missed out on a medal in that race, which serves him right.

Apart from that silliness he seems like a very likeable person and I'm sure will continue to be a leading swimmer. Whether he and Phelps will meet again in Tokyo is another matter. If they do meet I hope I'm still here to watch on TV.
Old 08-22-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Well the South African was being very silly and deserved a death stare. He didn't actually die but missed out on a medal in that race, which serves him right.

Apart from that silliness he seems like a very likeable person and I'm sure will continue to be a leading swimmer. Whether he and Phelps will meet again in Tokyo is another matter. If they do meet I hope I'm still here to watch on TV.
Richard:
Actually, the South African and Phelps are on good terms. He was jusy trying to get into his head. I respect him but I feel that he would have stood a much better chance of winning by staying in his zone. A real champion should not resort to such tactics. This is not boxing.

TI97:
I will watch that again. I agree. The guy is in top performance and condition.

-- Lao Tzu
-- J. Ch__st.
Old 08-22-2016

gary p

When 2019 rolls around and nobody's going under 1:55 in the 200 IM, and only one or two guys are going under 1:56, I think he'll be very tempted to come back.