Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2016

IngeA

I don't have any problem in getting rid of the fins. I only use them rarely to get better awareness of my body.
For the arm stroke you can take fistgloves. With them you can train to use the whole forearm for propulsion and when you take them off, it feels like you have paddles on your hands. Both together is a good training for the arm stroke an you get a better awareness of the stroke.
I can't clench my feet like the hands, so I took this tool which helps me.
I have the BetterFly DVD, I went piece by piece through all the exercises and I found it really very good.
I had an other try with the first TI-Butterfly-Method before, but I didn't get along. I couldn't integrate the arm cycle in the body wave. There was no rhythm at all.
With the DVD this was very easy. But my body wave was queer, I can't really explain. I tended to kick from the knees and I tended to go out of the water to high with the shoulders. My head was in line, but the body was too erected. My head was high enough out of the water, but nevertheless breathing was difficult because of the high "bow wave". I didn't realise what was the fault only the stroke didn't feel well. Something was disturbing.

On the DVD is the exercise with the dolphin dive and then one stroke. You should try to dive in after the stroke as you do after a flat dolphin dive. The problem is: I knew how it feels to enter after a flat dolphin dive but I didn't know what to do that it feels like this after the stroke. I didn't know what I should change.
With the fins I found out what to do.

The second was, that I was to hectic. This also I fixed with the fins. Some stokes with fins, then lots without trying to find the same "peace".

For many people the exercises on the DVD may be enough, especially with a coach who can correct the faults. For me the DVD was a good start, but without a coach I had to take other methods to get a relaxed stroke.
I'm still on my way to butterfly, but it gets better, I am sure. At least it feels like that.
Old 07-14-2016

Richardsk

By the sound of things, Inge, you are further advanced in butterfly than I am, which is true of most people, I think.

Today I spent quite a lot of practice time on the glide after the dolphin kick and on trying to make arms come out of the water almost of their own accord. The timing of the kick is obviously important to achieve this. It is a very good feeling when it happens. I must re-visit the two TI DVDs, both of which I have, and also Shinji's downloaded one. I agree that a coach would be very useful, but it seems I am not destined to find one. I did pay for some lessons a couple of years ago from a coach who follows the Shaw system. He was a very nice person but I'm afraid his efforts were in vain.
Old 07-14-2016

IngeA

It will take me some time to really fly, too.
I can go to the pool once a week. And often I can't go at all, when I worked late or night shifts. I never go to the pool overtired.
When the pool is too crowded I can't work on the fly.
Not the best conditions to learn something new and difficult to built up condition.
Old 07-15-2016

Richardsk

At the moment I am doing most of my fly practice in the University pool here, which is very nice but a 25 yard pool, one of the few still left, as far as I know, although there may be more than I think. There are three pools within a small radius of my home but two of them are small and the only 25 meter pool is small (four lanes) and only has lane ropes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. At weekends there is usually a single lane for the lap swimmer(s). The Uni pool has no lanes, although I'm sure it is possible to fit them and at the moment because it is vacation time it is not very busy, so ideal for fly practice. I have to pay for the use of the Uni pool but the town pool is free for aged persons, except during school holidays at the moment. This is a new arrangement because funding was cut because of the present financial crisis. It can only get worse.

Being able to swim fly or something related for two hours is worth the price in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2017

Patri ckCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hello again

After some fairly intensive slow practice I discovered yesterday and today that I think I now know how to 'kick the hands out'. When it works it is a very pleasing feeling and I intend to concentrate on this aspect for a few weeks....
Hi Richardsk,

Would you mind sharing your skill and experience on how to kick the hand out in slow practice? I still have problems on hand recovery. My hands and arms feel deadly tired, and stops me from going any further than 50 meters without struggling.

Regards,
Patrick