Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009

jacoby
Default Waterproof notebook?

I have read 2 swimming books which recommended a "waterpoof notebook" to help records times, stroke counts, etc

I had no luck at a local sports store or at the TI store on-line

Any recommendations on what other people to do record their "progess" --I am trying to swim all 4 strokes so it would be nice to have something at the pool
Old 08-04-2009

lindahogan

I saw these in a bookstore, and I believe they are available at Amazon.com.
Old 08-04-2009

sasquatch
Default Rite-in-the Rain

I use these at work when out on construction sites in all kinds of weather

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/RITE_IN_THE_RAIN/?CID=9OG602TNRITEINTHERAINSCH&s_kwcid=rite-in-the-rain|2959928338

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3pzmujwqkx_b

They have special pens as well, but you should be fine with a regular pen/pencil. If you don't want to wait for them to ship, try to find an engineering/survey supply store near your home.
Old 08-04-2009

Rhoda

A SCUBA diving shop might also have them.
Old 08-04-2009

jacoby

THANKS for the help!!!

Have others done the "Rite in The Rain" notebooks or other waterproof notebooks to record details of their swim progress??? Or is this "over-kill?"
as someone else suggested just to use a note card with a ziplog bag, and then transfer data to a dry notebook later--

THANK YOU again!
Old 08-06-2009
Coach

CoachBobM

I use the SportCount Chrono 100 lap timer to keep track of my times. It fits on your finger like a ring, so that you can press the button to start a new lap without stopping. It keeps track of up to 100 laps (as the name suggests), and I let it continue to run between sets (so it counts my rest time as a "lap"). After I finish my practice, I can cycle through the times from the day and record them in a dry notebook. As for stroke counts, I just commit those to memory as I'm swimming.

Keep in mind that the "etc." is at least as important as the stroke counts and times. One of the most important things a notebook does is provide a place to record things you noticed while you were drilling and swimming. If you make a point of reviewing your most recent entries before each practice, the "etc." points from your last few practices can become your focal points for your practice that day. Were there moments when you felt like you were moving with particular ease? If so, what did you do differently that made this happen? Were there times when you felt like something you did was putting on the brakes? If so, what did you do that made this happen? Even if you're not sure what you did differently, your notebook entry can remind you to be analyzing it during your next practice.

Bob
Old 08-12-2009

ayesr
Default Recording on site once, redoing it again some place else...

CoachBobM cites the importance of getting the info that you need, accurately down on record for future reference. This is vital, whether you do it once, on-site or redo it again, someplace else.

Enjoy, learn and share...

End.