Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing > Pool
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013

Grant
Default BC provincial championship meet 2013

As Nationals are in Montreal this year the meet I swam in this weekend will be my last till early Dec. it was a 2.5 day meet where you could swim a max of 7 events (1-3-3). Plus relays but as I was the only swimmer from my club I did not swim any.
Had mixed results. First off I was the only entry in the 75-79 age bracket in five of the events so I was either first or last. Depends on the spin. :0)
I finished first ahead of a swimmer in the 50 Free but the time at 39.21 was one second slower than last year and the slowest I have ever swum it.
The other race where I had competition other than myself was the 50m Fly. In this case I finished either third or last and missed the silver by 0.05 sec. Was a fun race. The winner whipped us by about 3 sec with a :45.+ my time at 48.77 was about .60 sec slower than last year.
In the competition races against myself (100,200,400,800 and 1500 Free) I was slower than last year in all of them.
I had practiced thru out the year for all the distances and this lack of narrowing my focus to either sprint or distance events showed in the results.
I have still not decided as I like both formats. The intense increased turnover of the sprints and the long rhythmic strokes of the distance races, I find very enjoyable. From the 400 on up I use a two beat kick the others a flutter kick.
In the horoscope model this is the dark side of the Libra who is about balance and ends up being unable to choose. :0)
I will end this now before I make this post into a spam sandwich.
Old 05-01-2013

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Your post illustrates well the loneliness of the antique swimmer, battling against advancing years and one's own times. It's fun nevertheless and your crack about the spam sandwich is very apposite in view of the recent invasion, which seems to continue endlessly.

I think until my next meet I'll work on trying to develop a little bit of speed, but also of course all the other desirable qualities such as superior stroke length, stroke rate and elegance.

I had a fairly good day today from the stroke length point of view but nothing to write home about, really. I managed several lengths at 18 SPl and one or two at 17. Most were 19 or 20, though, especially towards the end of the session.

Yesterday was a speed day but not really what you'd call fast. These concepts are all relative and very individual.
Old 05-01-2013

Grant

Hi Richard
I am just back from my first swim since the weekend. Found myself rather aimless as I don't race again till Dec and didn't have the same drive to follow a regime. I talked with the coach of the Tri swimmers in the next two lanes and he suggested that it would be good to stay out of the pool for a month. Then I would be really eager. Can't bring myself to that. As an alternative I might do the following. My breast stroke is terrible. 38sec/25m. So I am thinking I may take the next month and work solely on Br. I have the TI breaststroke DVD so will follow that progression and see what I can burn in. Then come June return to Fr, Fly with some Br and Bk.
Good luck on your speed development.
Old 05-01-2013

dprevish
Default Championship Meet

Grant,

That 50 free is not a time to disappointed about in my perspective! But I know what it is like to miss your goals. I have swim goals to and some days in the pool they seem pretty far off.
I have to say that the Libra thing I can relate to as I am too. As a 1500 to 5K runner, I have enjoyed the high of the open legs and high octane, but there is something incredible about a 3 hour run too.:]
You live in a sweet spot of the world up there, bet though open water w/out a wet suit is only possible in the late summer...if that?
Old 05-01-2013

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprevish View Post
Grant,

That 50 free is not a time to disappointed about in my perspective! But I know what it is like to miss your goals. I have swim goals to and some days in the pool they seem pretty far off.
I have to say that the Libra thing I can relate to as I am too. As a 1500 to 5K runner, I have enjoyed the high of the open legs and high octane, but there is something incredible about a 3 hour run too.:]
You live in a sweet spot of the world up there, bet though open water w/out a wet suit is only possible in the late summer...if that?
Hi Dave
That is right on Dave about the open water swims up here. I had swum in the ocean sans suit but amongst the Gulf Islands. I would wait till it was in afternoon and a receding high tide. Cold but doable. When we moved to the strait of Juan deFuca I envisioned swimming in the same manner. One July day it had been really hot for here in the low 80's for several days and really muggy so it went down to the beach. Something in my head told me to take my wife's cooking thermometer. I went in up to my ankles and geez it was cold. The thermometer reading was 46. This after a warm spell and well into summer.
The lakes are better but most wear suits and there are some that have conditioned themselves as Naz has demonstrated and swim naked.
Old 05-02-2013

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Your breaststroke project sounds like a good idea. A man with your freestyle times ought to be quite fast in breast with a decent technique.

My best time for long course 50 meters is still faster than my best time for freestyle, but mostly the freestyle is faster. A couple of years ago I managed a better time for 100 meters SC in breast than in free, but haven't managed to come close since.
Old 05-02-2013

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
Hi Grant

Your breaststroke project sounds like a good idea. A man with your freestyle times ought to be quite fast in breast with a decent technique.

My best time for long course 50 meters is still faster than my best time for freestyle, but mostly the freestyle is faster. A couple of years ago I managed a better time for 100 meters SC in breast than in free, but haven't managed to come close since.
Richard
For years I have bought into the theory that one is either a freestyle or a breaststroke swimmer. Most people I have talked to say they are either or. It also seemed to me that there were more good Br women swimmers than men. I know I am talking generalities here. It will be interesting to see how I can progress by following the steps Terry lays out.
Going to also spend maybe 1/4 of each session burning in the 6 beat kick for my sprint events.
I also hear the little voice in the back of my head saying " don't get scattered".
Old 05-03-2013

Richardsk

Grant

iI think the breaststroker who isn't much good at crawl is quite common but lots of the chaps I know here can do both pretty well. The modern frog kick is not as different from freestyle and fly kick as it used to be but freestylers usually have very good upper bodies, which is useful.
Old 05-06-2013

Richardsk

Hi Grant

I just came across this interview and thought you might find it interesting, especially in view of your thoughts about the breaststroke:

http://swimswam.com/olympian-and-mas...inute-barrier/
Old 06-25-2013

Grant

Hi Richard
I just found this. Some how I had overlooked your post.

My breaststroke practice is coming along. When I began I was doing 45 sec for 25m and 12 strokes. I am now at about 41 sec and the same 12 strokes. As you can see there is progress and some hope. Would love to get it down to 33 sec.

Am going to start another thread re low testosterone levels and sensible expectations re swim speeds. The link you provided shows what 40 and 50 year old can achieve. Want to explore what knowledge is out there re 70/80 year olds.
Thanks for the link.