Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013

haschu33

I am quite sure from the context that the elbow of the spearing arm - which is about to catch and pull - is meant here. But I have to admit that I don't really get the point. When your arm is already in a forward stretched position how could you move your elbow forward ???
I have no clue what it means in the Shinji picture to move your elbow forward in the acceleration phase. The only thing that comes to my mind is not to drop the elbow in the catch phase - the elbow got to move backward anyway sooner or later... particularly in the acceleration phase.

Amazing that people can get the breakthrough of their life out of this...
Old 06-04-2013

CharlesCouturier

He just means elbow moving forward whilst your hand is moving downward.
Old 06-04-2013

swimust

right.. that was a week ago which is very old when you self learn swimming.

1) CoachSuzanne or me have not invented this action. Read the Suzanne blog. She is doing what Terry told her to do... I guess you should trust Terry, no?.. ;)

2) Its the elbow of the stroking arm, not the spearing arm.

3) You don't have to take my word for it. Maybe CoachSuzanne will convince you more... ;)

4) "Elbow forward" is not my main breakthrough in swimming the Shinji style. Yesterday I found the long axis and how to use it. This is the main breakthrough in my swim. It tells me how to roll the body and get propulsion correctly. That's the engine and its working now :) A week ago, "elbow forward" looked like a main breakthrough to me. Now its downgraded to "just important". Its not my main focal point anymore. I am still doing it but its not the main action in my swim.

Last edited by swimust : 06-04-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2013

swimust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
He just means elbow moving forward whilst your hand is moving downward.
correct. I was "adding the elbow" to the forearm during the catch and it was wrong.
Old 06-04-2013

galax
Default the influence of focal points change

The same happened to me, some months ago the thought : "moving elbow forward" gave me a nice sensation and helped me to increase distance per stroke.

Now, I think that "elbow forward" helps to weight shift, but the influence of focal points change continuosly, this focal point is not as important as it was 2 months ago.

( PS sorry for my english )
Old 06-05-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
I am quite sure from the context that the elbow of the spearing arm - which is about to catch and pull - is meant here. But I have to admit that I don't really get the point. When your arm is already in a forward stretched position how could you move your elbow forward ???
You don't so much actively move it forward as actively NOT move it downward while the catch is starting. Because you have forward momentum int he water, your elbow is still moving forwards...as long as you have not moved it. Tricky, huH?

Since it's easier to think of an action, rather than a non-action, thinking of actively moving the elbow forward helps you grab ahold of an armful of water during the catch action. It also places the scapula in a slightly better position to allow internal rotation.

Try this: Standing or sitting in a chair, raise one arm directly overhead. Retract your shoulder blade so that it is low as if you were going to put your shoulder blade in your back pocket. From here, try to rotate the wrist and forearm to 90degrees with the fingers pointing forward AND while keeping the elbow still. (You can't do it, or can only do it very awkwardly with the forearm very close to your chest. )

Now...shift the shoulder blade forward...what direction does the elbow move? (also forward). As you try to rotate the wrist and forearm to 90degrees, shift the shoulder blade forward a bit more to help ease the movement...what direction does the elbow move ? (hint: forward).

Moving the elbow forward actively by shifting the shoulder blade, and passively by NOT moving it downward, to enable a great catch.

The exact shape & angle of this catch will vary with each person depending on flexibility.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-08-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Try this: Standing or sitting in a chair, raise one arm directly overhead. Retract your shoulder blade so that it is low as if you were going to put your shoulder blade in your back pocket. From here, try to rotate the wrist and forearm to 90degrees with the fingers pointing forward AND while keeping the elbow still. (You can't do it, or can only do it very awkwardly with the forearm very close to your chest. )
I'm not getting this because I didn't find a problem doing it :/ Is there any way you could clarify?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov