Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Yes, exactly that =).

I will try your suggestion for altering breathing frequency based on effort. Right now I am only using bilateral every 3 strokes.

have fun and tell us what you learn!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-07-2013

haschu33

Charles,

I am not saying that the overgliding campaign of SS is for marketing only, I am not saying that people shouldn't make their living with coaching swimmers, I am not saying that what SS is doing wouldn't help people, I am not saying that there aren't people out there who developed a long, long stroke and gliding too long, I am not saying that there is something wrong with SS.

But you can not tell me that the whole story is that the 'market' demanded some help for overgliding and SS just responded to it. It is just not such an innocent story.

And, machelett, yes, if you just look at the swim types you don't really see a difference. I am not a frequent visitor to the SS website but to my memory this anti-overgliding campaign started a lot earlier before they developed the swim types.

What I find a little disturbing is that they talk a lot about overgliding, 'glide is a dirty word', pause in the stroke, dead spots etc but at least on the website I cannot find a clear definition of those terms. I still don't know what they exactly mean. And I don't know if that is just being a little sloppy (they are Aussies after all ;-) ) or on purpose.

That all might be different in the SS forum, as forums tend to be more down to earth. But I never visit that so I don't know.
Old 05-07-2013

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post

PS: What's about the pool in BB?
Werner, moin

They still repair the leakage and the whole thing is closed.

But - they have a sauna attached to the pool and I went there yesterday with my wife. When you visit the sauna you can swim in the already heated shallow outdoor pool. Hilarious! 50x25 m of pre-season fresh, clear water, no visitor, no need for bathing suit, all alone out there, the sun was just setting - amazing.
Unfortunately my wife was cold so she stopped quite early and they don't want people to swim on their own, so I had to go also.

There is still hope...

Last edited by haschu33 : 05-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2013

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Start the catch sooner and drag commences earlier, ...

Start the catch later and drag commences later ...
Doc, I understand all you wrote except for this.

What do you mean with 'start the catch and drag commences ...' ?

Are you saying that the catch itself creates drag, or is the drag a by-product of the catch?
Old 05-07-2013

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
And, machelett, yes, if you just look at the swim types you don't really see a difference. I am not a frequent visitor to the SS website but to my memory this anti-overgliding campaign started a lot earlier before they developed the swim types.
I bought the SwimSmooth DVD set a few years ago and on and off I've looked at most of the SwimSmooth stuff, including the forums, and found no indication that their marketing is targeting TI customers or that they are mocking TI.
What I see are some TI swimmers that visit SwimSmooth because they are looking for elements of what is called "traditional swimming" (or something to that effect) here. That includes me and I find that legitimate.
The lack of civility and respect towards the other side only flares up on the TI forums. Most people on the SS forums didn't know TI existed before some TI forumites--quite politely, I'd like to point out--started posting there.

The main problem from my point of view is that the term "overglider" has been adopted here as synonym for TI swimming. And when Paul Newsome says "glide is a dirty word" furor kicks in and you hear "TI is dirty".
But that's not what he said and probably not what he means but you're going to hear it anyway.

I tried to rationalize from the business side and present evidence that counters your perception that the sale of overglider guides was pushed over all others. But people will defend the way they feel, no matter what, and there's no arguing with that. I'm old enough to accept that but still not old enough to sit idly and be a spectator to unfairness. :)

BTW, there used to be one actual SwimSmooth "attack" on all other swimming sites that nobody ever mentioned:
A picture Paul with a clothespin on his nose in a front of a computer, captioned "other swimming sites do exist on the internet..."
I found that hilarious. I do not see that anymore so I believe they took that piece of fun down so people are not offended. Even as a competitor, one would have had to be a very negative person to find that offensive...
Old 05-07-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
It is just not such an innocent story.
Eummm, yes I believe it is.

Daily Squad coaching sessions have been ongoing for several years now, which bring about 1000 persons to be supervised in direct coaching interaction, every year. Both guys have been very consistent claiming that their 'Office' is not between 4 walls in front of a pc, but rather on the deck with a stop watch in their hand. Their schedule for video analysis is booked several weeks (if not months) in advance.

As a coach I get most of my inspiration from the clientele itself, trying to provide them with my best best best in order to help them. I believe it's the case for most coaches (or so I hope).
Old 05-07-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Doc, I understand all you wrote except for this.

What do you mean with 'start the catch and drag commences ...' ?

Are you saying that the catch itself creates drag, or is the drag a by-product of the catch?
Both. The catch is outside the streamline of the body, and in itself doesn't create propulsion. It slows the body down! Mind boggling isn't it? But it's a necessary phase of the stroke to add back in propulsion.

Same thing with the breaststroke kick. The set up for the kick creates so much drag that you see many breaststrokers stop completely between kicks (check your pool next time) and every kick is starting from zero.

Making the kick smaller and more streamlined feels less powerful, but it retains more forward movement and less energy input is required to keep moving forward...like riding a skateboard or spinning a basketball. The actions to get it started are different from the actions to keep it moving.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-08-2013

haschu33

Thanks, doc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
.... Mind boggling isn't it? ...
And yes, it is. :-)