Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012

janedoemuc
Default Re: Olympic Open water Achievable?

It is achievable but you will make the most and fastest progress if you take lessons with a coach - preferably a TI coach.

You need to learn right from wrong first before you can improve your swimming. As long as you do not know what causes your problems AND how to fix it, you need feedback from someone else but you. And that someone needs to see you in person.

Swimming is a very complex movement, which is easier to master if you have some help from a person with sound (TI) swimming experience. Especially in the beginning of your swimming experience. Good luck.
Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-16-2012

pennelldj

Hi everyone, thank you so much for ALL your advice. I've weighed it all up and what I am going to do is postpone my olympic distance for next year and enter the super sprint distance which is 400 metres but still open water, its in a wetsuit.

I think this is a good compromise, however still a big challenge as I still cant make 25 meters, but have purchased the freestyle DVD, which is great.

My next question or call for advice is how to use the drills at the pool, just do one drill per visit? etc? I don't really have anyone to go with so just need to plan my session before I go.

Thanks again for all your help, I plan to start my TI journey tomorrow :-)
Old 05-16-2012

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennelldj View Post
Hi everyone, thank you so much for ALL your advice. I've weighed it all up and what I am going to do is postpone my olympic distance for next year and enter the super sprint distance which is 400 metres but still open water, its in a wetsuit.

I think this is a good compromise, however still a big challenge as I still cant make 25 meters, but have purchased the freestyle DVD, which is great.

My next question or call for advice is how to use the drills at the pool, just do one drill per visit? etc? I don't really have anyone to go with so just need to plan my session before I go.

I think the decision your making is sound and wise. There will be time to do the Olympic distance another day. That being said, the 400 meter swim is no joke. I swim open water year round and no two open water swims are the same. Prepare for it like one would prepare for the Olympic distance.

As for the DVD and the drills, you should do a drill as long as you need to or move on to another and come back to one that is frustrating you. You might nail some of the beginning drills very fast and some of the later slowly. Either way take your time, ask questions from those of us on the forum and know you have the ability, confidence and desire to make the Sprint Tri swim a lasting "first" awesome open water memory :)

Naji
Old 05-16-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennelldj View Post

Hi Darren,
I'm not a coach, but enjoy helping other swimmers out in there journey. That's what the forum is all about helping each other out.

The TI DVD lessons are taught in steps. I know sometimes drills (building blocks) can appear tedious but they are key in your learning to swim properly. I would suggest work on one drill at a time and once you feel comfortable with it go on to the next. The brain learns better when it has one task to do rather than many at once. Try doing 15minute/1/2 hour/drill then intergrate some stroking and see how that feels.

Good luck and have fun!