Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012

Flan600
Default Wetsuit advice

Hi all. I have entered my first olympic tri this summer and am on the hunt for wesuits. My TI instructor has told me to buy one with neutral buoyancy as I've been working on acheiving a good body position in the water. Ive been reading lots of reviews and the one that keeps coming up is the 2xu T2. Most of the reviews say that it suits swimmers with a good body position but on the 2xu website it mentions having 39 cell front buoyancy panels and doesnt mention being neutrally buoyant. Does anyone have one or has tried one or knows someone with one and if so can you give me some advice on what its like or any other suggestions? Many thanks guys!!
Old 04-17-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flan600 View Post
Hi all. I have entered my first olympic tri this summer and am on the hunt for wesuits. My TI instructor has told me to buy one with neutral buoyancy as I've been working on acheiving a good body position in the water. Ive been reading lots of reviews and the one that keeps coming up is the 2xu T2. Most of the reviews say that it suits swimmers with a good body position but on the 2xu website it mentions having 39 cell front buoyancy panels and doesnt mention being neutrally buoyant. Does anyone have one or has tried one or knows someone with one and if so can you give me some advice on what its like or any other suggestions? Many thanks guys!!
Hi Flan,
The TYR hurricane Cat5 is an excellent suit (neutral buoyancy). Sleeveless is about $300.00 with sleeves $600.00.
Old 04-17-2012

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flan600 View Post
You could always ditch the idea of a wetsuit and just swim naked. That being said most wetsuits will raise your hips and legs so get something that you feel comfortable with. But I still say go without.

Best of luck!
Naji
Old 04-17-2012

andyinnorway

I bought the blue seventy helix because it was neutrally buoyant and because its awesome, and is renowned for winning lots and lots of races (probably because they have a keen sponsorship department)

Its a high end suit 400pounds in the uk but as a new swimmer last summer I found it a really easy suit to just get in and swim.
Old 04-17-2012

TheFrog

The best wetsuit is the one that you are most comfortable swimming in. Different people have different builds and no wetsuit fits everyone. The right wetsuit feels good to swim in. The wrong wetsuit can actively get in the way of swimming well. I would suggest swimming in several wetsuits before buying one if possible.

My first wetsuit was free. It also was near impossible for me to swim in. It somehow managed to feel way too tight and take on way too much water at the same time. While I could move my legs fairly freely, my arms were a different story. I had spent all my free funds on other gear, though, so I ended up using it for entirely too long.

While it would have probably worked well for someone with an average build (it came with quite a few good reviews), my build is not average. Being over six feet tall, having a huge ribcage, and shoulders better suited to contact sports than triathlon, finding a wetsuit that fits properly is less than easy. After my less than pleasant experiences with my first suit, I decided to spend some time trying out several different brands this year.

I travel a fair bit and was fortunate enough to find a place that sold wetsuits and had an endless pool for trying them on in. (I'm now of the opinion that they should have a setup like this at every place they sell wetsuits.) After trying on several suits, I found one that fit well and didn't get in the way of swimming. I'm looking forward to taking it out into the open water when it warms up just a bit. (Even with a wetsuit, water that is barely above freezing is cold.)

So... To summarize, don't buy a wetsuit just because it comes with good reviews. Buy one that is comfortable for you to swim in. Good luck with your wetsuit hunt!
Old 05-15-2012

janedoemuc
Default Wetsuit advice

"The Frog" already said it: The wetsuit needs to fit you - not the person who reviewed it. You will find out if a wetsuit fits you or not only by testing it by yourself - not by reading.

A lot of triathlon sports shops rent wetsuits for a fee, which gets discounted if you buy it afterwards. Others host a "wetsuit test swim event" in a pool or in open water. There you can test several brands and models/designs.

I think it is very important that the wetsuit has a high flexibility in the area of the shoulders, because it gets really straining if you have to fight against the inflexibility of the material with every stroke you take.

My preferred wetsuits are a T:0 (not a T2!) of 2XU (model of 2010) and a speedskin of Camaro (also of 2010). Only 2mm neoprene especially in the area of the shoulders. Rest of the body is also 2-3 mm neoprene. Very flexible material and easy to put on and remove.
Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc

Last edited by janedoemuc : 05-17-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: correction of the wetsuit model
Old 05-15-2012

gmehje
Default Wetsuit

I have the 2xu t2 2010 model. Bought second hand for £70 in UK. First wetsuit so nothing to compare it with but it's certainly been a great buy. Buoyant enough, flexible enough and done me for swims up to 1.5 hrs in the sea and lakes. Go for it!