Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009

Rhoda
Default First pool meet

Well, my first pool meet is over, and I think I did okay. It was held in the campus pool of the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, a 35 meter pool that is split by a bulkhead into two sections; a conventional 25m lane pool and a 10m shallow splashing pool. This pool feels really fast, although that might be perception. It sits below the deck about 60 cm/2 ft and has a fairly deep gutter.

My first event was the 50m butterfly. I started in the water, having little experience with dives and not wanting to try something new outside of practice. My estimated seed time was 1:10, based times done in practice. I ended up with 1:04.08, but I may have been disqualified due to a breast-stroke like arm movement at the wall - I've only just recently been able to do a continuous 50 meters and haven't quite got the hang of the turns yet. I'll have to wait 'til the results are posted to find out. It was all over so fast, I felt as if I was only just getting going by the finish.

The next event was after several other races, a 200 choice. (Most people picked freestyle, but in the first 200 choice, at the beginning of the meet, I'd seen a fellow doing 'fly!) I was in the first heat of this round, and again decided to start in the water. I also went back to open turns, as my flip turns, though getting better, are still not consistent. I would not have believed it was possible to lose track of laps in such a short event, but at one point found myself wondering if I was near the end or had two more to go. When I saw the faster swimmer in the next lane heading back down to the turn, that was my answer. I put on a sprint in the last 25 meters, which tells me that I was probably not going fast enough for the previous 175 - I'm pretty sure one is not supposed to have that much energy left at the end. My estimated seed time was a conservative 4:20. I didn't get to find out my official time because the next race started immediately after, but my "team support guy" (my better half) timed me at about 4:01.38, which was a pleasant surprise. We left shortly after this, as we were both getting hungry.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. I'm not sure I'll do the next few in this season, as I'm more concerned with getting ready for the Swimtrek tour, but I'll probably do more next season, and will probably join a masters club to learn more about turns and dives.

Last edited by Rhoda : 03-08-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2009

Grant

Congratulations and welcome to the racing world. Now you are playing in both worlds. Does life get any better than this?
Old 03-08-2009

Richardsk

Good going, Rhoda! I hope your breaststroke movement in the 50 fly escaped the eagle eye of the stroke judge.

As for the difficulty in counting lengths in a 200m race, I can confess that I've lost time by thinking the race was over after six lengths and loitering at the wall. It probably would have been a best time at the time, too.

I hope you do decide to pursue pool swimming and have lots of fun doing it.
Old 03-08-2009

naj

Great job Rhoda! Your my inspiration to getting into racing this year and I'm looking forward to it :)
Old 03-08-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Nice work. There is nothing wrong with open turns. Diving in, that might be something fun to work on. (I won't even think about diving in until I get some health insurance.)

Participating in a race: Win. Doing your best: Win. Not winning the race, but taking it well: Win. Winning the race: Well...it's time for faster opponents! hehe