Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Ames, no worries, I had a frustrating day in the pool today too. There is an upside to every swim like this...you've identified things you can improve upon, and that's always a good thing.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-15-2011

haschu33

Sorry, ames, didn't mean to frustrate you. But what to do ?

Okay - talking about frustration, I am now in month 18 or so since I started my TI freestyle journey and still unable to breathe without lifting my head and never did any longer swim... and, and, and my legs are a lot worse than yours, and so forth. And I hate swallowing water while breathing... So, want to talk about frustration?

But on the other hand, than there is this one lap, where it's so easy, where I have this good grip on the water and there is this amazing glide... I just need one of those laps, or half a lap and I will say: this was a good swim!

And, I consider my kick to be rather weak, so yesterday I was doing core balance drill and I noticed that I was passing a young girl who was swimming breaststroke (and, yes, she was swimming the same direction as me), I was faster with core balance flutter kick than she was with swimming breaststroke, can you imagine that? Feels like existence provides us with some little jokes to lighten us up from time to time.

And don't try to solve it all at once.

Hang on in there...

P.S. It is not a bubble, play it in slow motion... ;-)
Old 02-16-2011

cynthiam

ames,

Nice! Thanks for posting these -- the vids and comments are very helpful to a sort-of newbie like me. I especially like how relaxed and quiet you are.

I've fiddled around with how deeply I spear because my head felt too low for a long time, and I'd lift my head to breathe (esp. on the left). Now my spear is more shallow, and that has helped my breathing. I do, however, have to be more mindful of really pressing on my chest/armpit to keep my back end up. Focusing on "long and lean" also helps.

Either Terry or Shinji recently wrote that his spear is more shallow on the breath stroke and deeper on the next stroke. I've tried this a little, and I think it'll work for me. But I have many other things to practice as well!

One last thing, I agree with others about how your hand entry seems to be a little too far away from your head. The way that I adjust my reach is to focus on leading with my elbow (and keeping it high). If I do that, I simply don't reach too far.

Would love to see more video of you. I'm working on getting some of myself so I can post it for feedback.
Old 02-16-2011

ames

A much, much better day at the pool. No, haschu, you didn't frustrate me, quite the contrary. You pointed out my biggest problem, which is the first step in finding a solution. When I looked at the underwater video again, it was obvious that my spearing hand was making a beeline for the bottom of the pool, and my poor head was getting pulled down with it. I was excited to get to the pool this morning and see what it felt like staying near the surface. So much easier! Even on SG I was riding higher and felt like I was flying.

I think it is probably a common error among TI students to take the "total immersion" thing literally and be too deep. There is one other TI enthusiast at my pool, he been doing it for 5 years and he is like a submarine and has to turn almost completely upside down to breathe.

I will work at it another month or two and then post a new and improved video.

Thanks everybody!
ames
Old 02-16-2011

haschu33

ames, great news!

Yes, I think that spearing too deep and pulling the body/head down happens here and there, there were other videos already where this could be seen. Terry points that out in the 'Easy Freestyle' DVD but it seems it can easily get overlooked.

Good job!