Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011

bruno85674
Default swimming with a snorkel

Dear TISwimmers,
I have started swimming TI way several months ago after discovering it on YouTube. My freestyle did not exist then. I was able to swim using a breast stroke, but could not do it due to a back injury. The first time I tried a freestyle TI was an epiphany for me and now I swim ca. 4x/week for 15-20 min on my lunch breaks. However, I still have a problem with breathing. If I swim slowly, then my breathing is not frequent enough; trying to do it faster make me loose breath at get tired.
I am an middle-age overweight guy whose fitness level went down the drain after the injury.
I was thinking about using a snorkel so that I can breathe whenever I need too, and when I build enough cardio endurance I would forgo the snorkel.
How does a snorkel fit into the TI way of swimming? Any thoughts about my problem?
Old 02-15-2011

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno85674 View Post
Dear TISwimmers,
I have started swimming TI way several months ago after discovering it on YouTube. My freestyle did not exist then. I was able to swim using a breast stroke, but could not do it due to a back injury. The first time I tried a freestyle TI was an epiphany for me and now I swim ca. 4x/week for 15-20 min on my lunch breaks. However, I still have a problem with breathing. If I swim slowly, then my breathing is not frequent enough; trying to do it faster make me loose breath at get tired.
I am an middle-age overweight guy whose fitness level went down the drain after the injury.
I was thinking about using a snorkel so that I can breathe whenever I need too, and when I build enough cardio endurance I would forgo the snorkel.
How does a snorkel fit into the TI way of swimming? Any thoughts about my problem?
They make a snorkel that is designed to be positioned straight up over your forehead between your eyes. This keeps your arms free from getting tangled in the shaft, plus it allows you to position your body more streamlined. You can find them at almost every online swimgear retailer.
Old 02-15-2011

tddfleming

Like you I started this a couple months ago. I could swim, ie. keep myself a float, but as far as any strokes, nope. Before I found TI I had signed up for swim lessons at the Y with the hopes of leaning the different strokes. One thing that I struggled with was beathing, I drank more water than anything. Could not do a lap. What I found to help me learn to breath was doing catch up drills and breath on each stroke. It was slow enough to practice my stroke and not struggle. I take a stroke and breath on one side, once my hand reaches my front hand in the water I take my second stroke on the opposite hand and breath on that side. I also found using fins while doing this helped me just concentrate on the stroke and breathing without worry on my feet.

Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2011

flppr

If you want to improve your breathing, work on your breathing. The O2 in H2O dvd helped me go from not being able to swim 25 yards without being completely out of breath to swimming continuously without losing my breath.

Last edited by terry : 02-16-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

The DVD O2 in H2O: A Self-Help Course in Breathing Skills covers breathing from soup-to-nuts. The first lesson is about how to overcome the typical beginner's fear of choking on water, rather than inhaling air. That lesson even includes exercises to imprint the basic patterns for breathing to the front, as in Breast and Fly, and to the side, as in Free. Subsequent lessons show you how to breathe with skills displayed by elite swimmers in those strokes.

See the trailer for that DVD here.

In the Easy Freestyle DVD, Lesson 6 is devoted to improving Freestyle breathing skills. In the Self-Coached Workshop DVD, Lesson 3 teaches how to breathe comfortably in both drills and whole stroke.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-16-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Best Way to Use a Snorkel in TI Practice

I think the best use for a swimmer's snorkel in TI Practice is to allow longer practice reps of Skating and Switch drills.

Here's one example of how:
In Skating practice, being able to go as much as 25y/m without having to interrupt for breathing allows you much opportunity to experiment with different hand positions and discover the 'optimal geometry' of your leading edge in freestyle.

A slightly deeper lead hand can often make the legs feel much more 'weightless' but there's a fine line between deep enough and too deep.

A slightly wider lead hand can greatly improve lateral stability. But the benefits are maximized when the hand is directly forward, or millimeters outside, the shoulder. Wider than that brings no greater stability and can reduce 'effortless' power for the stroke.

With a snorkel, you can discover just the right position - and begin to imprint that position in muscle memory.

If you progress to SpearSwitch, practicing with the snorkel allows you to repeat many repetitions with a keen focus on spearing your hand to the exact position - or target - you imprinted in Skating. This turns a basic skill into a dynamic skill and deepens the muscle memory.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-25-2011

maniago

A stroke tube (front snorkel) is key. At least it is for me. I posted yesterday my experience with it (25 to 1000M in one day). I ripped off another 1000m today after 45 minutes heavy lifting, then 1hr spinning class. Then I swam. Don't know my time, but it as no more than 30 mins in the water and was a walk in the park. I even zoned out a few times - like sleeping in motion. I'm going to try 2000M next Tues (my next time at the gym ) but I have no doubt it will also be walk in the park, albeit longer. Go buy the tube (I got the Finis basic one - best $35 I've spent). You will not be sorry. Then you can use it to get your exercises, strokes and such down, then work on transitioning off of the tube. All possible because youre no longer fighting to breathe.