Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011

ames
Default My video--seeking suggestions

Here is where I'm at after 1 1/2 years with TI... not sure what I need to work on most. I would appreciate any insights. Obviously I have not worked on breathing to my left yet, but that's a goal for 2011.

The first clip is 25 m and the next 3 are 25 yd., for you stroke-counters.

ames' ti swim

Thanks!
ames
Old 02-14-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
Here is where I'm at after 1 1/2 years with TI... not sure what I need to work on most. I would appreciate any insights.
Looks nice and relaxed.
Consider less of a wide swing of the recovering arm, keeping the hand more on a straight track between exit and entry - closer to the body.

Also test how it feels to spear not quite so deep, taking care not to let the elbow drop.
Old 02-14-2011

Scotty

Congratulations on a smooth and relaxed stroke. I've watched the video three times and saw virtually no splash during hand entry.

I think your hand extension into the water could be steeper and closer to the head. Your left hand entry is much flatter than the right hand.

On your third 25, that pesky scissors kick is evident. Maybe it's due to the different hand entry positions. In the underwater shot your rotation appears symmetric, so I don't think the scissoring is attributable to that.

Thanks for providing the underwater footage. It really provides the total perspective of the stroke.
Old 02-14-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I agree you have a pretty, splash free stroke. It's wonderful to watch.

I'd suggest working on the same thing I did just a few days ago. on your entry, your palm is turned slightly to the outside. In the underwater view, this outside facing palm continues on your pull through...sending water ot the outside of your body line, rather than behind you. Most of it is sent behind you, but if you correct this slight angle, I think you'll find a pleasant addition of propulsion to your stroke.

it's more than just a matter of correcting the hand on it's entry and followthrough...but the body works symmetrically...so by entering with the palm slightly facing out, the opposite palm will reflexively face out as well. By fixing one problem, you fix the same issue on the opposite side simultaneously.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2011

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Also test how it feels to spear not quite so deep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
On your third 25, that pesky scissors kick is evident.
I had a breakthrough a couple weeks ago (spearing less deep was part of it) and my scissors kick went away (so I thought), but I haven't been able to recapture that feeling since. If I focus on letting my legs just draft behind me, my kick is minimal, but then I feel like my head is totally submerged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
on your entry, your palm is turned slightly to the outside. In the underwater view, this outside facing palm continues on your pull through...sending water ot the outside of your body line, rather than behind you. Most of it is sent behind you, but if you correct this slight angle, I think you'll find a pleasant addition of propulsion to your stroke.
That is exactly the kind of thing I hoped that others might point out to me. My stroke doesn't look as much like Terry's as I would like, and I'm trying to pinpoint what specific things I can change to improve it. I have used a "hand parallel to the wall behind me" focal point before... I need to revisit that one.

Thanks for the tips, everybody, keep 'em coming!
ames
Old 02-14-2011

CoachKris

Looks good

If you have a chance upload underwater side view

Left hand entry looks a bit to far for me and right palm slightly twisted out - but both have been said already ;)

Work on bilateral breathing to improve symmetry of your stroke

Best

Kris
Old 02-14-2011

ames
Default Underwater video

Ok, ok, here is the rest of my underwater video. My cameraman had a hard time filming me from the side with the lane markers in the way :)

ames' ti swim underwater
ames
Old 02-14-2011

CoachKris

Ok now we can see a bit more there, staying balanced while breathing is probably hardest thing to get but it is possible. Try to keep your left arm as patient as your right one is. What you can see on that video is that your legs are sinking a bit while breathing then you are trying to fix it up with your left leg kicking strongly from the knee, however when you bending that knee to get your leg ready for that kick you are making your legs to sink even more

It would be great if you could ask your camera men to stay a bit further back it will make it much easier to see it clearly

Best time way to make a video is to talk to the lifeguard if he would let you stay extra 5 minutes after closing the pool and taking the ropes out, you can also try to shoot from the bottom of the pool with a cheapest tripod you can get ;)

I have to say it looks very clean on entries so you are on the good way to find your perfect path through the water

Best

Kris

p.s.

remember that we all make mistakes when I'm watching my own video I can still find elements that I'm not happy about, Important thing is to enjoy fixing them up ;)
Old 02-15-2011

haschu33

ames,

First thing I noticed - maybe the camera angle - loong arms, loong legs - that's good for streamlining...

Anyway, it is a very nice rhythmic, easy and relaxed stroke. Quiet legs, with small movements, splash free, all very good!

Since you asked for it, here is what I see for improvement.

In the videos you always breathe to the right, and you always breathe when you are on your right side. Your stroke has some differences on the right and left side.
On the left side you enter with your hand flat but very far in front. Also when you are not breathing, you are quite low in the water, your head is sometimes about 10 cm (that's about 4 inches for you Anglo-Saxons and/or Transatlantics) underneath the surface. That results in lifting your head when you breathe. Your left spearing hand goes down when breathing, it works as a lever for the lift to air.
The right hand enters not flat but in an angle - 90 degrees - as Doc Sue mentioned already. But closer to the head than the left entry.

So I think what should be worked on is not spearing so deep with the right arm, keep the entrypoint for the right arm, but enter with a flat hand. Enter closer to the head with the left hand but keep the hand flat as it is. Try not to lift when breathing, but the reason I think is that you are a little too low in the water. I once did a lot of Superman glides and after that I was higher in the water. Maybe breath bilateraly?

I added some pictures from your video.

First is the right hand angled entry, second is the left hand flat entry too far in front. Also in the second picture you can see that your head is completely buried. Third picture also shows the low head position, while #4 and #5 show the lifting of the head when you are breathing..

I don't think you have a scissors kick. That little scissors kick movement goes mainly to camera angle. I think the kick is quite good. Once the lifting for breath is gone you can check again if there is some scissors kick left.

BTW - what is that flying object at the end of the first video? First thought you've lost your teeth (just joking) but that object actually passes you like a rocket and then tumbles down. Looks a bit like a nose clip - someone in the next line had a good nose blow?

Anyway - good work! Keep it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a4.JPG (21.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg a8.JPG (14.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg a10.JPG (16.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg a9.JPG (15.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg a11.JPG (20.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by haschu33 : 02-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2011

ames

Had a rough day at the pool. The first time I ever didn't enjoy my swim. I think everyone's observations were spot on and I tried to correct my lopsided stroke, but nothing felt right. The only times I felt like I was getting a good stroke length was when I was muscling through the water--it certainly wasn't effortless. I don't feel like I'm getting much glide, like I'm already coming to a stop before I stroke again.

Then I came home and read haschu's comments and I think my German friend is right in pointing out how low my head is in the water. I think that is the source of my problems, and when I get back in the pool I will do a lot of SG's, keeping a patch of air on the back of my head, and try spearing not so deep. I am hopeful that the next session will be much more rewarding. Once I'm riding higher in the water, then I can work on weightless arm, high elbows, and a straight pull.

I would strongly encourage anyone who hasn't done so to film yourself swimming if your pool allows it! Even if you don't post it for the world to see, it is really enlightening. (Though frustrating too.)

[quote=haschu33;17423BTW - what is that flying object at the end of the first video?[/QUOTE]ha! I dunno. I think it is just a bubble. I had the pool almost to myself.

ames