Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010

ames
Default So THAT'S flow!

I have been working for some time at making breathing in freestyle as comfortable as in breaststroke, so that I can swim as long as I want, instead of getting gassed after 2 laps. A few days ago, I put into practice this post by phenixrising from another thread:

"First, I slowed WAY down. I swam at a ridiculously slow pace and relaxed. I quit thinking about form for the time being, and relaxed."

Right away I swam 100 meters pretty easily for the first time and then did it again. I thought about relaxing and not caring a hoot how fast I went. I thought of it more as a breathing drill, like a head-bob drill but breathing to the side instead of up and down.

Chuffed, I went to the pool again last night and today. There has been a qualitative shift in my whole experience of swimming. I truly felt what Terry means by flow, and it was amazing. The feeling came and went, but now I know what it is and can work on burning it into muscle memory. It comes more easily when I slow my pull down and that is what I focused on the last two times. I slowed down at first to help with my breathing and didn't care too much about form, but it had the unintended consequence of improving my form greatly! All sorts of issues I had had seemed to resolve themselves... I found myself automatically keeping to wide tracks and not drifiting towards the center, I stopped over-rotating, my timing was much improved, my lead hand stayed patient just a moment longer, and I felt a more solid catch, also no scissor kick, just a toe-flick. I felt balanced and smooth. When I got tired I rolled over and did backstroke, slowed that down too and it felt great.

For an idea of how slow I have been going, 25 yds. takes me about 34 sec., at 17-18 spl, about the same time as my slow, easy breaststroke. Not that I am watching the clock, just an indication of the pace that works for a beginner like me.

I don't think I could have done this a couple months ago, before I had really learned to relax my head. It is just too hard to swim very slowly if your balance isn't excellent. So that was another piece of the puzzle too.

ames
Old 08-08-2010

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
I have been working for some time at making breathing in freestyle as comfortable as in breaststroke, so that I can swim as long as I want, instead of getting gassed after 2 laps.
A few days ago, I put into practice this post by phenixrising from another thread:

"First, I slowed WAY down. I swam at a ridiculously slow pace and relaxed.
I quit thinking about form for the time being, and relaxed."

Right away I swam 100 meters pretty easily for the first time and then did it again.
I thought about relaxing and not caring a hoot how fast I went.
I thought of it more as a breathing drill, like a head-bob drill but breathing to the side instead of up and down.

Chuffed, I went to the pool again last night and today.
There has been a qualitative shift in my whole experience of swimming.
I truly felt what Terry means by "flow" and it was amazing.
The feeling came and went, but now I know what it is and can work on burning it into muscle memory.
It comes more easily when I slow my pull down and that is what I focused on the last two times.
I slowed down at first to help with my breathing and didn't care too much about form,
but it had the unintended consequence of improving my form greatly!
All sorts of issues I had had seemed to resolve themselves...
I found myself automatically keeping to wide tracks and not drifting towards the center,
I stopped over-rotating, my timing was much improved, my lead hand stayed patient just a moment longer, and I felt a more solid catch, also no scissor kick, just a toe-flick. I felt balanced and smooth. When I got tired I rolled over and did backstroke, slowed that down too and it felt great.

For an idea of how slow I have been going, 25 yds. takes me about 34 sec., at 17-18 spl, about the same time as my slow, easy breaststroke.
Not that I am watching the clock, just an indication of the pace that works for a beginner like me.

I don't think I could have done this a couple months ago, before I had really learned to relax my head
It is just too hard to swim very slowly if your balance isn't excellent.
So that was another piece of the puzzle too.

ames
It's so refreshing to hear what someone has to say
when change comes and YA just want to absorb it, be part of it.
Makes me want to swim!

i thought i had the qualitative attitude about swimming done,
and then someone will ask
well pat now what about the quantity of it!

because I really never even think about swimming fast and be competitive with it
until once in a while I will want to beat the swimming in the next lane....
maybe it's in there, and just wanting to be lit?

i bet ya guys
didn't even know
your all secretly loved!

dancing
swimming,
and competing?
me (pat).....................Jump in anytime!

to quote you from above . . . post by phenixrising from another thread: so which thread was this?

Last edited by splashingpat : 08-09-2010 at 04:00 AM.