FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Great tips Naj and Westywoods! A couple more things I thought of:
1.) Practice sighting in the pool before you go out on the lake.
2.) If you get tired or anxious, float on your back; it uses less energy than treading water, plus it has a calming effect (for me, anyway)
I got in the pool for the first time in a long time today. I actually sighted naturally, though I usually had trouble when I /tried/ in the past. I felt that I had to look around for obstacles. Also, my stroke felt more automatic, until I starting /thinking/ about it. (It seems like my mind is the problem with my stroke. heh)
Old 06-20-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Wear a bright cap, use a pilot or guide when swimming in OW and water you can not stand in.
That could work out very well because I also want to take my son out on an inflatable boat. Then I could let him use the boat while I take a swim.
Old 06-30-2010

sbechtel78
Default lake swimming

Just finished my first sprint triathlon with an open water swim in the lake. Be prepared for the lake grass floating around and tangling around your hands and feet. I kept thinking that I was swimming in the wrong direction toward the shore instead of toward the buoys and then when I would site, I would see that I was on track. The lake grass never ended on the first half but on the return track there was less of it. Then when I reached the finish it was pretty bad. One time I really had to slow my stroke down to shake it off of my hand. The smell was horrific, too. I didn't notice any drastic changes in temperature and was glad that I wore a speed suit over my tri-suit because the smell didn't stick to my tri-suit. I didn't notice any snakes or fish or birds, though one of the triathletes ended up with a feather down her suit. and another emerged from the water looking like the creature from the black lagoon. I think the reason this lake was so bad is that it is a man made lake and doesn't have a fresh water source like streams and stuff. You will survive, if you get freaked out - flip on your back until you catch your breath and then go right back in to your TI stroke. That's what I did and toward the end, I felt like I could go all day and wasn't all tired out when I was done.