Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010

naj
Default The 10% progress really works!

I've been doing open water swimming consistently for over a year now. I must say when I first started I was thrilled but wondered if I'd ever be able to do some the swims that the likes of Terry Laughlin, Dave Cameron, Dave Barra, Lynn Cox, Penny Palfrey and the like could do that is doing marathon swims in cold water.

I relayed this to a man who has been coaching me in open water, Bay Area swim legend Bob "Napa" Roper, about trying to build up my tolerance for longer swims in cold water. Bob told me that no matter what just try and go 10% further than you did previous week. By 10% he meant time in the water. I had been hovering around the 50 minute mark in 55F for several months. Then I went to 55, an hour, and then progressed to 1hr 15min. Now this morning I went as far as I have gone thus far and reached 90 minutes with no shaking or incoherent speech, no disorientation and the like. And when I talk about 90 minutes I'm not talking about dragging myself out whipped and cold, I'm speaking of comfortably getting out and being able to go longer!!!!

Holy cow! The 10% progress really works. I figure that I need to get up to 2 hrs before the end of May to make sure that I can last on a 3 to 3 1/2hr nine mile swim. six months ago I would not have thought this was possible but as you have more time in the water and push just a little more you'd be amazed at how far you can go.

Also, keep in mind I am a strong advocate of swimming without a wetsuit so that makes this even more of a joy for me. Though I don't mean to disparage anyone who wears a wetsuit

All this will help me continue my confidence for taking on The Cook Strait in 2013 and The Santa Barbara Channel next year.

10% a week...who would have thought

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 04-30-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

I've done 20 minutes in Upper Lake Michigan in late October, and boy was that cold. I am amazed by your progress and applaud you.
Old 05-01-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Naji
Congratulations. I haven't swum in "thrillingly cold" water since visiting you in San Francisco the first week of December. Though I hadn't swum in below-60 water in 6 weeks prior to that, I quickly adapted to the 52F water that prevailed that week.
The water in LaJolla Cove remained at about 58 from the beginning of my San Diego sojourn Feb 1, to the end, April 8, so there was not much adapting to be done. Though I did do a 3h15m 11km swim within two weeks of my arrival.

Now that I'm back in New Paltz I expect to begin swimming in my favorite Shawangunk Mountains lake this weekend. Water temp is likely to be 50-52. My anticipation is keen.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 05-02-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Naji
Congratulations. I haven't swum in "thrillingly cold" water since visiting you in San Francisco the first week of December. Though I hadn't swum in below-60 water in 6 weeks prior to that, I quickly adapted to the 52F water that prevailed that week.
The water in LaJolla Cove remained at about 58 from the beginning of my San Diego sojourn Feb 1, to the end, April 8, so there was not much adapting to be done. Though I did do a 3h15m 11km swim within two weeks of my arrival.

Now that I'm back in New Paltz I expect to begin swimming in my favorite Shawangunk Mountains lake this weekend. Water temp is likely to be 50-52. My anticipation is keen.
Thanks Terry,

Keep in mind it was you that first planted the seed about me "going naked" i.e. without a wetsuit over a year ago. Nowadays I can't imagine swimming with one! The glory of being here in The Bay Area is that one can swim year round and not have to worry about losing 6 months due to ice

Your fresh water swims back in the Shawangunk Mountains will - I'm sure be a challenge - since fresh water is colder than salt water. Karen Rogers would love to see you back out here soon. She is attempting to swim from The Farallon Islands on July 2nd and I will accompany her in a Zodiac boat.

For those you unfamiliar with The Farallons this is the place where Great White Sharks come to breed and feed If she is successful on her 22 mile journey she will be the first person to make the crossing solo! Here's hoping to being a part of history!!!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
Old 05-02-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post

For those you unfamiliar with The Farallons this is the place where Great White Sharks come to breed and feed If she is successful on her 22 mile journey she will be the first person to make the crossing solo! Here's hoping to being a part of history!!!

Keep Swimming!
Naji
That is super cool. What is she going to do about the sharks?
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-02-2010
Coach

CoachJohnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
What is she going to do about the sharks?
Have a harpoon gun. I hear they make tasty meals.
Old 05-02-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
That is super cool. What is she going to do about the sharks?
There will be four kayakers, my Zodiac boat, and a large support boat. The marine biologists who live on the island have told us that we need three kayaks to her right and one right behind her. From below a shark cannot make out the figure above and will not approach, besides Great Whites prefer to go one on one with their prey. She'll be fine and will conquer this swim! I hope to do a shorte distance at the end of May in an area where Great Whites have been knonw to venture though with a much smaller crew of only one kayak and a support boat. Here's hoping I don't get to be a midday snack

Keep Swimming!
Naji

PS Coach Suzanne when are you coming out to the Bay Area to swim naked (i.e. without a wetsuit)?
Old 05-03-2010

AWP

Hey guys, took my first plunge of the OW season today (hoped to go yesterday and stick to my 'promise' of May 1 but schedule wouldn't allow) and am thrilled to say my season has begun! Although brief it was a welcome relief in our unusually warm air temps (80+/-) for today. Sound temp, post swim, was 56.6F, just about where I left off this past November. Water Q was clear with zero wave activity so one mile of smooth, examined sailing!
Old 05-03-2010

ewa.swimmer

I think you guys might all be a little touched in the head. If the water gets below 72 we think we might freeze.
Old 05-07-2010

Brad evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
There will be four kayakers, my Zodiac boat, and a large support boat. The marine biologists who live on the island have told us that we need three kayaks to her right and one right behind her. From below a shark cannot make out the figure above and will not approach, besides Great Whites prefer to go one on one with their prey. She'll be fine and will conquer this swim! I hope to do a shorte distance at the end of May in an area where Great Whites have been knonw to venture though with a much smaller crew of only one kayak and a support boat. Here's hoping I don't get to be a midday snack
Wow - I'd be a touch nervous to say the least!! My large-ish swim is in Port Phillip Bay (South east coast of Australia) which is populated with a modest community of sharks. Great Whites of 4 meters in size have been filmed and photographed as recent as a few months ago so its been on my mind a bit! For a few reasons such as depth, temperature, food supply, and history i think i'm pretty safe...

Go Karen! That's guts.