Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2010

westyswoods

Coach Dave, shuumai or anyone

I purchased a Swimman 3rd generation Ipod with the intent of using it as a TT. Through a recent tutorial with Mac and the use of Logic I have successfully created a series of tempos from 30bpm to 40 bpm with increases of 2bpm. (30,32,34,36,38,40). Sorry I did not break down to secs. Each track is about 10 mins in length. Could you share some insight as to the best way to use these.

Any suggestions as to how one goes about melding different tempos or how you have used MP3's will be greatly appreciated. TT's just do not work for me due to a severe hearing deficit. The above tracks are more of an experiment and have not even been used in the water yet, as I can't seem to switch from one to the other.

Just ready to start moving forward with SR as I am stuck at about 32.

Thanks to all who take the time to share on this forum.

Last edited by westyswoods : 04-02-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-03-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
Coach Dave, shuumai or anyone

I purchased a Swimman 3rd generation Ipod with the intent of using it as a TT. Through a recent tutorial with Mac and the use of Logic I have successfully created a series of tempos from 30bpm to 40 bpm with increases of 2bpm. (30,32,34,36,38,40). Sorry I did not break down to secs. Each track is about 10 mins in length. Could you share some insight as to the best way to use these.

Any suggestions as to how one goes about melding different tempos or how you have used MP3's will be greatly appreciated. TT's just do not work for me due to a severe hearing deficit. The above tracks are more of an experiment and have not even been used in the water yet, as I can't seem to switch from one to the other.

Just ready to start moving forward with SR as I am stuck at about 32.

Thanks to all who take the time to share on this forum.
Excellent. Well, I never really worked with a tempo trainer personally, but I got an idea from Swim Smooth. Start at a slow tempo. Keep increasing until the pace is too fast. Then back down to the pace that you felt was most comfortable and effective. The idea is that some people might be using a tempo that is either too slow or to fast without realising it.
Old 04-24-2010

westyswoods
Default Tempo Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
I've made MP3s for clients with a tempo in the background before. Many audio programs can repeat any sound the client likes (occasionally even my voice over and over, but I can't even stand that).
Once you've got the beat, a second audio track can be overlaid from time to time to rotate focus. One trick I have is that when I have a focal point that ties in to something that might lengthen or shorten a stroke, i often change the rhythm without announcing it, and the swimmer flows into it better because they're not focusing on their own assumptions about what makes a slower or higher tempo stroke. With the overlaid audio included, I save it as one mp3.
Coach Dave,

Due to a severe hearing deficit the normal TT just does not work for me, nor does the bone conduction some have mentioned. The alternative is using an MP3. I have purchased a SwimMan 3 Gen IPod Shuffle and have been able to produce some tracks which I can hear while swimming. They are very rough and the difficulty is tempo only changes in .1 increments plus with the shuffle there is no way to tell what track you are on unless you have a voice over.

The question is what program are you using for producing those you mentioned in your post?

Are you able to change the tempo in smaller increments such as .01 like the TT's have?

I have found that Apple has software called Logic Express, which I know absolutely zero about, but is supposed to do much of what you mentioned above.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I really need to start working with a TT for moving forward.

Westy
Old 04-24-2010

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
...the difficulty is tempo only changes in .1 increments plus with the shuffle there is no way to tell what track you are on unless you have a voice over.
How about encoding track information in the first few beats, like Morse Code?
Old 04-24-2010

westyswoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuumai View Post
How about encoding track information in the first few beats, like Morse Code?
Great idea, it is just that my knowledge base for this type of process is next to zero and that is negative zero. Been messing with this whole idea for many months as you are well aware. Just really need to get it done as I need to move forward with SR and SPL's.
Old 08-04-2010

aquascum

Can someone who does use a mp3 player for swimming give me advice? I keep flooding mine... as in flooding the ear canal and the plugs.

Halp?
Old 08-25-2015

WeiHung
Default MP3 as TT

Yeah, it is great, thanks for sharing, cheers.
Buddies, this name ringtone download can downlaod free remix, pop, rock ringtone.
Hope you guys can enjoy with it, cheers.Yeah, let rock and party.

Last edited by WeiHung : 08-27-2015 at 02:57 AM.