Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008

old man
Default Difficulty breathing on ‘weak’ side

Hello, hope someone can offer me advice/guidance for my breathing problem…
my freestyle has improved tenfold over the last 3 months since practicing TI -I’ve the book + a couple of DVD’s (including O2 in H2O).
However, my stroke falls to pieces when breathing on my left-hand (less dominant) side. I understand all the principles (or at least I think I do?), and I even know what I’m doing wrong, but I can’t seem to rectify the problem?
I either a. lift my head (doesn’t feel like I am, but I can feel my hips sinking, so I must be?), or b. over-rotate so I’m virtually swimming on my back, resulting in any rhythm I’ve achieved flying out the window!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2008

lanceryoung
Default Bilateral breathing

I improved my breathing on both sides by putting on fins and with hands by my sides gently kick 25 yards while rotating right side breathing to left side breathing.
Old 12-28-2008
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
my stroke falls to pieces when breathing on my left-hand (less dominant) side.
What happens if you do triple switch drills and roll to your sweet spot instead of doing regular breathing? Do you feel the same asymmetry?

Bob
Old 12-28-2008

old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
What happens if you do triple switch drills and roll to your sweet spot instead of doing regular breathing? Do you feel the same asymmetry?

Bob
Thanks for replies.
I tend to focus my attention on double switch drills always focusing on my left (weak) side, rather than waste time on my right-hand side, which appears to be ok.
And rolling to 'sweet spot' is fine; my problem arrises when going for regular breathing (sneaky breathing's the term isn't it?).
thanks again
Old 12-28-2008

Rhoda

What if you were to continue to breath on your "good" side, just to get the oxygen, but turn your head as if you were planning to breath on the other side? Start by just letting your face follow your shoulder around on the rotation, but don't actually take the breath. See where your head ends up in the water when you do that - deep under the surface perhaps? You'll soon find out if you are moving up and down in the water a lot or rotating on a straight horizontal axis.
After doing that for a while try turning your neck slightly, again without actually taking a breath, but as if you were about to.
When you've got the hang of rotating smoothly with your face just enough above the water, try taking some small bites of air on the problem side.
Old 12-29-2008
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Thanks for replies.
I tend to focus my attention on double switch drills always focusing on my left (weak) side, rather than waste time on my right-hand side, which appears to be ok.
You wouldn't necessarily be wasting your time breathing on your right side. What you really want to do is make your left side breathing like your right side breathing. Alternating sides will allow you to compare the the two sides and therefore may help you figure out what is different about your left side breathing.

Quote:
And rolling to 'sweet spot' is fine; my problem arrises when going for regular breathing (sneaky breathing's the term isn't it?).
thanks again
If you have no problems rolling to your sweet spot on your left side, then I'd suggest that when you do double switch drills, you alternate rolling to your sweet spot with taking a regular breath. Your regular breaths should be just like rolling to your sweet spot, except that you only roll far enough to take in a breath and then point your nose at the bottom and begin the next pair of switches.

Bob
Old 12-29-2008

old man

thanks, that's great. I'll try all suggestions, I'm off to the swimming pool now.
thanks again