Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Outside-In Kick

I've been thinking about the wide knees I've seen when people do dolphin kicking. I think part of the benefit comes from the reduced frontal area of the thighs. Of course, there is also an element of whip kick action. Combine that with "pidgeon-toeing" which I've been hearing about lately and I'm seeing the dolphin kick in a totally new way. (Not hard due to lack of experience.)

Here's a video detailing the wide-knees kick: http://www.goswim.tv/entries/4240/bu...e-in-kick.html
Old 11-17-2008

dwdvagamundo

Shuumai--

Thanks for that link. I tried this yesterday (first time I've been to the pool since reading your post) and it seems to help with SPL, if not with speed. The concern I have about it is that it feels quite a bit like a frog kick. The swimmers in the video are obviously doing a legal dolphin kick, but I'm not sure about mine, at least at this point.
Old 11-17-2008

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdvagamundo View Post
Thanks for that link. I tried this yesterday (first time I've been to the pool since reading your post) and it seems to help with SPL, if not with speed. The concern I have about it is that it feels quite a bit like a frog kick. The swimmers in the video are obviously doing a legal dolphin kick, but I'm not sure about mine, at least at this point.
Well, there are distinct technical differences. The toes are turned in for the wide-knees dolphin instead of turned out. Also, the motion is more downward than rearward. Frogfly?

I was told that my feet are usually too far apart, though I saw some video in which the feet are together during one kick but not the other. I've been thinking about it ever since. I guess we just need to keep playing until things fall into place. Sorry, I can't Phelp it.
Old 11-20-2008

shuumai

Today I did a pigeon-toed dolphin with a breatstroke pull. It felt good and I got good distance out of it once I stopped diving so much. I don't think it was snapping from the outside in though. I just leg me knees float apart and focused on getting the toes together.