Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2016
mcarmodii

Like to add my 2cents worth to this old thread - How about a multi-activity tracker like Garmin Vivoactive (around $145) or if you are super fit type of person, maybe the Garmin Forerunner 920XT (Approx $375). Both have their own Built in GPS - great for tracking!

Misfit Shine 2 is another nice one too
Old 08-30-2016
mcarmodii

Forgot to mention - for the real swimmers - Finis AquaPulse is a clip on device that tags to your ear for measuring your heart rate and more. http://waterprooffitnesstracker.net/
Old 08-31-2016

aquascum

Ah, I've had such BAD experiences with a Garmin StaNav, I got a Polar tracker by now...
Old 08-31-2016

sclim

To recap, the functions that seem to be desired in swim computer watches are:

Timer Function
Stroke Counting Function
GPS (for open water swimming)
Heart Rate Detection
Recording and maybe later downloading of above

Different people desire different subsets of the above list, so their prioritisation of different products will be different.
Old 09-07-2016

tomoy

Very interested to see what they build in, how the interface handles pauses and touch UI in the wet, if heart rate monitoring works while swimming. Hopefully we'll get third party apps optimizing swimming functions.

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/
Old 09-08-2016
foodtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
To recap, the functions that seem to be desired in swim computer watches are:

Timer Function
Stroke Counting Function
GPS (for open water swimming)
Heart Rate Detection
Recording and maybe later downloading of above

Different people desire different subsets of the above list, so their prioritisation of different products will be different.
100% agree with you
Old 07-27-2017
sudhanshurana9

Default Fitness tracker for swimmers

Happy to mention that, here is the budget fitness trackers for swimmers. Enjoy Guys -
http://myoutdoorlab.com/best-fitness-tracker/
Old 09-11-2017
sansastark

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquascum View Post

Arrowheads?
http://thefitnesstracker.com/best-wa...ackers-review/
The article is useful for you. Best review for waterproof fitness tracker. There are many options to chose with lower price than Garmin.
Old 09-12-2017

sclim

I came back to this thread after a long gap. I really wanted an in water real-time heart rate monitor, and nothing fit this requirement except the rather old Finis Aqua-Pulse which some detractors have said broke quite easily. That was academic because it seemed to be not in stock everywhere. Then I saw one advertised for over US$200. 2 days ago I located one sold by Tri It, ironically located here in Calgary, for Can$49.95 !! Yes, that price is right, so I ordered one. If it doesn't last very long, at that price I haven't lost much.

What I'm trying to sort out is why I get breathless so easy swimming. I'm a good runner, and can tolerate quite a high sustained HR running, so cardio-pulmonary fitness is not the issue. It's likely a combination of stroke inefficiency, residual tension and maybe just psychological discomfort "needing" to breathe more. But I'm surprised after years of practice that it's not improving much.

Lately I've been doing concentrated practice again on breathing on my uncomfortable side, that is, my left. I've built up to one breath every 4 strokes on my left. But when I try to drop my SPL, especially at a given TT pace (I'm using 1.35-1.31 seconds now) I'm limited again by shortness of breath. But I'll try to persist, because if it's tension, I should be able to practice it away, and the one breath in 4 should discourage me from merely powering through to a low SPL, hopefully leading to a relaxed more efficient low SPL. Monitoring my HR ought to give me some insight as to what's going on as I get short of breath.
Old 09-15-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
Lately I've been doing concentrated practice again on breathing on my uncomfortable side, that is, my left. I've built up to one breath every 4 strokes on my left. But when I try to drop my SPL, especially at a given TT pace (I'm using 1.35-1.31 seconds now) I'm limited again by shortness of breath. But I'll try to persist, because if it's tension, I should be able to practice it away, and the one breath in 4 should discourage me from merely powering through to a low SPL, hopefully leading to a relaxed more efficient low SPL. Monitoring my HR ought to give me some insight as to what's going on as I get short of breath.
Are you only breathing every 4th stroke, or are you alternating between left side and right side breathing? I'd get out of breath if I only breathed every 4th stroke.

Bob