Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014

Danny

Machelett,

Wow, what a great picture! May I ask where that lake is, especially since you were swimming in mid April?

Also, how did you post the picture on this forum? Is it an attachment or did you use some other method? Is it a jpeg file? How big?
Old 11-07-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Wow, what a great picture! May I ask where that lake is, especially since you were swimming in mid April?
It is the Baggersee Leopoldshafen in the southwest of Germany, very close to the Rhine.

I think it was my first outdoor swim of the year and even though we had a mild spring, I wouldn't have been able to handle it without a wetsuit. :)
The water was probably around 13/14° C, which translates to 55/57° F.

Quote:
Also, how did you post the picture on this forum? Is it an attachment or did you use some other method? Is it a jpeg file? How big?
I did not post the picture on the forum but merely linked to it and the forum software displays the linked picture. The picture itself is on Twitter's image site (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlLaup5CEAAQRB4.jpg:large).

When you compose a forum post, you can embed external pictures by clicking on the "Insert Image" icon (a rectangle with two mountains and a sun, just above your message). You will then be prompted for the URL of the picture. (You can get the URL of many pictures by right clicking on a picture in your Web browser and then selecting "Copy image URL" or something similar.) Simply paste a copied image URL and click "OK".
When you click on "Preview Post" afterwards, your linked/embedded picture should be displayed.

The size and format don't matter much but you shouldn't pick images that are too wide. I probably wouldn't go much beyond 1000 pixels because a large width has a negative influence on the layout of the thread, which gets stretched horizontally. People might have to start scrolling right and left to read posts, which can be quite annoying--and they'll blame you. :)

If the picture is not online anywhere but stored on your computer only, you can use a free service like tinypic.com. Upload the picture there and then you can link to it.
Old 11-08-2014

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by machelett View Post
It is the Baggersee Leopoldshafen in the southwest of Germany, very close to the Rhine.

I think it was my first outdoor swim of the year and even though we had a mild spring, I wouldn't have been able to handle it without a wetsuit. :)
The water was probably around 13/14° C, which translates to 55/57° F.

I did not post the picture on the forum but merely linked to it and the forum software displays the linked picture. The picture itself is on Twitter's image site (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlLaup5CEAAQRB4.jpg:large).

When you compose a forum post, you can embed external pictures by clicking on the "Insert Image" icon (a rectangle with two mountains and a sun, just above your message). You will then be prompted for the URL of the picture. (You can get the URL of many pictures by right clicking on a picture in your Web browser and then selecting "Copy image URL" or something similar.) Simply paste a copied image URL and click "OK".
When you click on "Preview Post" afterwards, your linked/embedded picture should be displayed.

The size and format don't matter much but you shouldn't pick images that are too wide. I probably wouldn't go much beyond 1000 pixels because a large width has a negative influence on the layout of the thread, which gets stretched horizontally. People might have to start scrolling right and left to read posts, which can be quite annoying--and they'll blame you. :)

If the picture is not online anywhere but stored on your computer only, you can use a free service like tinypic.com. Upload the picture there and then you can link to it.
Was it really that beautiful a day when you swam, or is that just the picture they use? In summer I love to swim in the lakes in Bavaria, but only when it warms up! The lakes in Michigan, USA, where I live, all have something in them I am allergic to, and my sinuses tend to swell up if I don't wear a nose clip. In Bavaria I have no problems at all. They claim that the water is almost drinking quality in their lakes.

Thanks for the tips about pictures.
Old 11-08-2014

machelett

Quote:
Was it really that beautiful a day when you swam, or is that just the picture they use?
I don't remember exactly how beautiful a day it was but it must have been pretty nice to get me out there in April. The aerial picture is not recent; I imported my route into Google Earth. You can see when the picture was taken when you look at the bottom. It says 1/1/2009 there.

Quote:
In summer I love to swim in the lakes in Bavaria, but only when it warms up! The lakes in Michigan, USA, where I live, all have something in them I am allergic to, and my sinuses tend to swell up if I don't wear a nose clip. In Bavaria I have no problems at all. They claim that the water is almost drinking quality in their lakes.
Water quality in lakes and rivers is pretty good in Germany. I'm usually not a fan of bureaucracy but in this area German bureaucracy works. There are hefty fines for water pollution and lakes and rivers are monitored regularly regarding water quality. Near most lakes you'll find a pamphlet that contains the latest lab test results for that particular lake. Much of the time, the water is indeed almost drinkable although I would shy away from that because of the fish and snakes that live in it and the ducks and geese who use the lake as their toilet. ;)

I'm far from being an environmentalist but I think it is important to keep the environment clean and healthy because, well, we live in it. I cannot understand how in a country as developed as the US, people allow their bodies of water to become and remain so polluted. After all, it's not the 60's anymore...
I'll keep my fingers crossed that something changes and you get to swim in clean lakes in your country!

Last edited by machelett : 11-08-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-08-2014

Danny

Quote:

I'm far from being an environmentalist but I think it is important to keep the environment clean and healthy because, well, we live in it. I cannot understand how in a country as developed as the US, people allow their bodies of water to become and remain so polluted. After all, it's not the 60's anymore...
I'll keep my fingers crossed that something changes and you get to swim in clean lakes in your country!
In Michigan there are two main sources of water pollution. (1) The sewage systems in towns and cities are old and broken. Especially in heavy rains, they overflow and run into the lakes. There is no money available to fix them. (2) The use of fertilizer which washes of into the lakes.

This year, I think for the first time, an algae bloom in Toledo Ohio made drinking water in the city poisonous. The situation is obviously becoming critical. The US is a rich country, but our politics don't function very well. We seem to be in permanent gridlock.
Old 11-09-2014

Talvi

Quote:
I have to chime in here: GPS works great in open water if you put the GPS watch (or receiver pod, depending on your system) under you swim cap. ..
True, and the Finis Tracker is designed for that use specifically. It clips onto your goggles' strap, so no need for a hard lump under your cap. Then again with some ingenuity a watch could probably be strapped onto your goggles' strap too.

I believe that 910XT owners who swim the sort of distances you do (e.g Andyinnorway) have no problem with the GPS while using it on the wrist. It's just not really designed for folk like me.

Thanks for the TinyPic site.

p.s
I have to scroll on your picture! :D But it is pretty (and impressive)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-09-2014

machelett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
True, and the Finis Tracker is designed for that use specifically. It clips onto your goggles' strap, so no need for a hard lump under your cap. Then again with some ingenuity a watch could probably be strapped onto your goggles' strap too.
Ah, I wasn't aware of the Finis Tracker. Nice! But since I'm equipped with a GPS watch already and on top of that I ordered the new Garmin 920XT, which will burn a large hole in my pocket, I couldn't justify the expense. :)
I have found that the "hard lump" isn't noticeable at all. I put the 310XT flush on the back of my head and after a minute I don't feel it at all.
It could probably be attached to the goggle strap somehow, for example by putting it in a sturdy plastic bag and running the goggle straps through holes in that bag. I don't worry about it, though, and just suck it up and put a cap on whenever I want to record the course; when the water is cold, I'm wearing one anyway.

Quote:
I believe that 910XT owners who swim the sort of distances you do (e.g Andyinnorway) have no problem with the GPS while using it on the wrist. It's just not really designed for folk like me.
The difference lies in what you expect: The guys who wear the 910XT on the wrist are mainly interested in getting the distance right. The watch applies some clever algorithms to compensate for bad reception and determines the distance correctly.
I don't care about the distance so much because when it matters, like in a race, the distance is predetermined. I do, however, like to see where I couldn't navigate properly or where I wasn't able to swim straight. I also like that I can see how I was blown off course on a windy day and what normally would have been a relatively straight line becomes banana shaped. When wearing the watch on the wrist the recorded course gets too jagged and is useless without a lot of manual correction.

Quote:
I have to scroll on your picture! :D But it is pretty (and impressive)
Sorry but it's not entirely my fault. :)
There was another picture in the thread already and I picked the size that would match it. Otherwise, I would have chosen a smaller format, 800 pixels wide, for example.

Last edited by machelett : 11-09-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2014

Talvi

Quote:
.. the new Garmin 920XT....
Nooooo!

Any idea how it is an improvement on the 910?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 11-09-2014

machelett

Quote:
Nooooo!

Any idea how it is an improvement on the 910?
Owners of the 910XT would probably have a hard time finding reasons to switch to the 920XT. It's easier for me because I own a 310XT and the Garmin Swim; I had deliberately left out the 910XT and waited for the 920XT because the 910XT didn't add enough features compared to my 310XT/Swim combo.

DC Rainmaker, once again, has a very thorough review of the 920XT and a comparison to other popular GPS watches, including the 910XT.

I guess current owners of the 910XT will only buy the 920XT if they have money to burn or can sell their current device and replace it with the new one.

The reasons why I'm getting it:
  • Acquires GPS within a few seconds by caching satellite positions
  • Lighter and smaller than the 310XT
  • Additional data for running efficiency, for example, vertical oscillation
  • Does not require a foot pod for cadence measurement
  • Better display
  • Metronome function

I hope that in a future update, Garmin enables pairing of the 920XT with heart rate monitors in pool mode, which currently is not supported.
I would then place a MIO LINK or some similar device right next to the 920XT and record heart rate, as well. That is not possible with 310XT (no pool swimming function) or the Garmin Swim (no pairing with heart rate sensors).

We'll see if Garmin makes that possible. That would be the icing on the cake. :)
Old 11-09-2014

Talvi

Thanks. The time it takes to acquire a sattelite is slow but you're right, not a lot that's tempting. I'll check the Rainmaker's comments though. I just wish mine would get the arithmetic right!

BTW you probably know this but the reason the Garmins don't connect in water is because of the frequency they use. The Poolmate Pro uses a different frequency that works in water and it has with a heart monitor (belt). Just to throw that in your mix. It can't deliver on any other of your requirements though, bit it's cheap. You could have one on each wrist! :D

~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 11-09-2014 at 08:50 PM.