Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009

naj
Red face Question about OW Swimming

This is for all you Open Water (OW) swimmers out there. Swimming in the S.F. Bay can be a huge challenge. For one, there is no visibility, quite cold -- 54 degrees -- and the seals...God love'em but they can freak a person out. Anyway these things I don't have an issue with but my main problem has been the current and my need to relax more. When I'm swimming I tend to try to drive through the water and get to where I need to go. Subsequently, my stroke gets shorter, I'm not utilizing my glide, and I get tired quickly. Now I know its a new environment for me and it will take time to get use to. However, Leslie Thomas -- my coach -- told me to slow down and utilize my glide more, really reach out after my recovery arm re-enters the water. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Naj,
The only other thing I have done is swim at Treasure Island beach. You get the same cold and lack of visibility, but you don't feel the current there. Perhaps dealing with one thing at a time may help.

By the way, I didn't realize you were local. Where do you pool swim?
Old 03-18-2009

naj

Actually Coach Eric I'll be at Treasure Island tomorrow (Wednesday March 18th) No current will probably help boost confidence, but still I won't walk away from Aquatic Park, for me I have to overcome any obstacles I encounter in swimming. As per where I pool swim; Garfield Pool at Harrison and 26th St in The Mission.

I apologize to everyone else on the forum who is not from the Bay Area about all this inside stuff.
Old 03-18-2009

madvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
-- and the seals...God love'em but they can freak a person out. .
Do the seals ever do anything to harm swimmers or is it just startling to see them?

Once while visiting the area (I live in Wisconsin) I swam by the Monterey wharf and I saw a black shape whiz by. A few seconds later I looked up and there was a seal (or sea lion?) about 10 feet away looking right into my face. Then it took off. Very cool, but I can see how it could be unnerving especially if they actually bothered anyone.
Old 03-18-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

My brother was scuba diving in Monterey once and said a seal started playing with his fin. He considered it part of the welcoming committee. For me, I think they are just trying to figure out what the @#$% bipeds are doing out in the water. It is not a place most seals are used to seeing us yet so they tend to keep their distance.

Naj,
I'm at mission bay. I have a tight schedule but we should swim together some time.
E
Old 03-18-2009

naj

The seal thing doesn't bother me and for the most part -- like Coach Eric said -- they're more curious than anything. I thought I saw one on Monday when I was swimming but we were in a pack (15 swimmers) so its hard to know. Coach Eric I'd be honored to swim with you email me and we'll try and coordinate najiali@riseup.net.
Old 03-19-2009

ynotcat

Naj,

I sometimes use a Tempo Trainer for open water swims to keep my stroke rate from going too high. I set it to beep at either 30 or 60 second intervals, and then count the number of strokes between the beeps to get my stroke rate. It is easier to have a relaxed recovery (longer glide) at a lower stroke rate.

Remember, you won't have seals or cold water when you make the trip over to swim in my neighbor hood!
Old 03-19-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

ynotcat,
I am curious as to why you prefer to count strokes per 30 seconds with the trainer instead of letting it beep every stroke? I have not heard that method before.
Old 03-20-2009

ynotcat

I use the beep every stroke method in the pool, but in open water, it is annoying to me. In OW, I use it mainly as a check. I will consciously try to swim at a specific stroke rate, and then see how close I am by counting between beeps. If I were to use the beep every stroke method in OW, it would be a pain to have to stop swimming, take off my cap and adjust the timer every time I wanted to try a different stroke rate.

I also use it to help concentrate on focal points. For example, with the timer set to 60 second beeps, I will say to myself - I will think of absolutely nothing but _____ (focal point) until I hear the next beep.
Old 03-20-2009

naj
Cool

ynotcat, I'll have to give the timer a try. I don;t have one yet but I was thinking of getting one for pool practice anyway. Still trying to see if this summer is feasible for me to go to Hawaii and swim in that race with you, hopefully I can. Hey maybe I should have a collection taken here in the forums. i'm sure I could raise at least a $1.23 LOL!