Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012

Richardsk

I'm sure cultural issues do play a role but as a general rule people in Britain are rather docile and co-operative. In swimming pools they seem to develop their wild and savage side.

The serious swimmers do tend to co-operate, though.
Old 12-11-2012

4murphdoggy

Wow. Thanks for all the wonderful viewpoints and replies! At the time, I felt she was completely in the wrong, but after reading about the various pool schemes and dynamics, it's obvious there isn't a right or wrong answer. From now on, I'm just going to be polite regardless of the circumstances.

On a bright note, that day I was so upset by this woman's behavior that I completely forgot to think about breathing when I started my next lap. By the time I got to the other side of the pool, it occurred to me that I had unintentionally accomplished "rhythmic breathing" for the first time without any thought of trying to do so! Since that "Aha" moment, I've been able to swim this way! Before that, breathing correctly, let alone rhythmically, was a HUGE source of anxiety. I now know that the act of worrying about taking my next breath was actually holding me back. Needless to say, I'm stoked!! Now, I'm able to really focus on my form instead of fearing that next breath.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012

Caro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
I'm sure cultural issues do play a role but as a general rule people in Britain are rather docile and co-operative. In swimming pools they seem to develop their wild and savage side.

The serious swimmers do tend to co-operate, though.
LOL, yes we Brits are so docile, especially noticable at football matches, Friday and Saturday night in almost any town and on holiday in Spain.
I guess it's alcohol and swimming that bring out the wild side.

I actually think what goes on in our pools is quite civilised, as no-one expects much most people are pretty tolerant and good natured about what people get up to, as long as it is not dangerous in which case hopefully the life-guard will step in.
Old 12-14-2012

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
...Our local pool refuses to have fast, middle and slow signs as they claim this is 'discriminatory', in that no-one has the right to judge another swimmers speed as fast or slow, instead they have 2 lanes for 'exercising' and 1 for 'movement', or as I like to think of it a special lane for people who don't want to get their hair wet.

Its such a shame, if people were only encouraged to pick a lane that matched their swim speed everyone would enjoy their swim more, ...
It wouldn't make any difference. Here we have that and for the most part people ignore the signs and get into any lane that seems emptiest. So you'll get some middle aged guy doing head-up breast stroke in the fast lane, causing genuinely fast people to come to a screeching halt behind him. Or someone getting into a slow lane with fins on and 'racing' people who just want to relax and swim their own pace.
I try to time people and find a lane my speed, but it can change as people enter or leave. If I want to drill, I'll get in the slow lane and then move to the medium lane for actual swimming.