Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013

Rupertdacat
Default Power generation (propulsion)

When swimming crawl at a moderate pace, is power generation (propulsive force) with kick/hip-drive/rotation/spear/(pull) ideally "effortless," or is it expected that some "oomph" must be put in to it? If the latter, at what point do you feel you are exerting the greatest oomph?

Rupe

Old 07-30-2013

Rincewind

definitely not effortless, but no spurious oomphs, just one smooth continuous ooooooooooommmmmmmpppppphhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 07-30-2013

CharlesCouturier

One thing (to add to the above), one thing that's special with swimming, is that the firsts few meters at any given pace, are often incredibly effortless, then you start to feel it when effort level kicks in (generally after 100-200m).
Old 07-30-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertdacat View Post

When swimming crawl at a moderate pace, is power generation (propulsive force) with kick/hip-drive/rotation/spear/(pull) ideally "effortless," or is it expected that some "oomph" must be put in to it? If the latter, at what point do you feel you are exerting the greatest oomph?

Rupe

For me, the start of the oomph is right after the moment my recovering hand drops in the water and i kick the 2BK. then there is the long ooooooomph after, as Rincewind suggests until the hand stops pushing water back and starts moving forward to recover.
Old 07-30-2013
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
For me, the start of the oomph is right after the moment my recovering hand drops in the water and i kick the 2BK. then there is the long ooooooomph after, as Rincewind suggests until the hand stops pushing water back and starts moving forward to recover.
Excellent description Coach David! I would only change the "oooommmmphhh" to "zzzzzzzzziiiiiiig" like being shot out of a cannon on each stroke :-)

Stuart