Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010

gogglesnoseplugs
Default Progression to completely "overcompensating"... or that is how I describe it

I have spent the last year taking everything into account that I have read and acquired from many folks on here, hoping that things would finally click. But something is just not quite right. I find myself going back to the fundamentals over and over - revisiting drills and skills that I feel I should have moved beyond at this point. I get to a stage in my swimming where I feel comfortable in the water ready to actually move beyond the "introductory" level of swimming, then I slip back.

Here is a summary of where I got stuck a few months ago, and now where I am at. A person, that is at the pool who swims the same time I go, and I had a conversation about drag and resistance; where I felt exhausted rather than relaxed. The issue about my left arm came up, and I eventually have been able to work with that situation pretty well, but another resistance issue surfaced. I have been swimming with board shorts just more out of feeling self-conscious and modest; yet the pool partner suggested I start using a Speedo, even if it was a jammer type to start with. I did not think the type of suit made a difference in the end, and I'm still trying to figure all of that out. He still insists on the suit thing, believing it will be one more step in a "right direction." What is your folks' take on that? But this is not what the heart of the post is about because I am figuring my resistance issue stems from this next piece.

The heart of the matter is that I'm in a rut right now when it comes to my breathing in freestyle. I always roll up to my right side because the weak left arm get in the way of actually rolling up to the left and getting enough air. But to go a bit further here, as I roll up to get air I am still practically rolling my head up roughly 135 degrees in order to get air in while rolling my torso roughly 90 degrees; and I know it really does not require anything beyond 60 degrees for the torso and anything beyond 90 degrees for the head... Hence, I return to the basics to correct this overcompensation, and feel like I am not getting anywhere beyond a handful of laps before I call it quits. Now what?
Old 03-22-2010

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
I have been swimming with board shorts just more out of feeling self-conscious and modest; yet the pool partner suggested I start using a Speedo, even if it was a jammer type to start with. I did not think the type of suit made a difference in the end, and I'm still trying to figure all of that out. He still insists on the suit thing, believing it will be one more step in a "right direction." What is your folks' take on that?
gogglesnoseplugs, a jammer or a speedo will decrease drag. Your swim buddy is right. Think of board shorts as a huge parachute strapped onto your hips. The more streamlined your body is the better you are able to move through the water. I'm not a fan of tight fitting clothing in general but in the water, the tighter the better!
Old 03-22-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Ask yourself this question...when you see other people in the pool who maybe are a little overweight, have a belly hanging out, wobbly triceps or thighs that brush together...do you think to yourself, "I'm so embarrased for that person, they shouldn't be wearing a swimsuit, they should cover up!"

I'm guessing not. So why feel that way about yourself? Just get over it, buy a speedo and get to getting better in the pool!

It's hard to give you specific advice withotu seeing you, as I'm not sure what you mean by a "weak left arm" getting in the way of rolling up for air. Arm strength has nearly zero to do with good form or with breathing.

My guess is that you may be having issues of drag at your hips, which could be the shorts you are wearing...this is only going to cause a cascade of problems and will never allow you to overcome the first principal of TI, which is finding balance.

Go get some speedos, have a swim, then let us know how it goes!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-22-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Ask yourself this question...when you see other people in the pool who maybe are a little overweight, have a belly hanging out, wobbly triceps or thighs that brush together...do you think to yourself, "I'm so embarrased for that person, they shouldn't be wearing a swimsuit, they should cover up!"

I'm guessing not. So why feel that way about yourself? Just get over it, buy a speedo and get to getting better in the pool!

Go get some speedos, have a swim, then let us know how it goes!
Okay, you might be saying "Excuses, excuses..." But I am reluctant to spend $20 or more on a suit to just try it, and then may end up hating it; and those things are not able to be returned for health reasons. My budget is tight, and I want to make "sound" purchases rather than buying something just to give it a shot. I am not a large guy by any means, so the belly or other physical build characters are not the issue, but I am a modest person... But in the end it comes down to wise spending. I know it may sound strange, but anyone got a spare pair sitting around that they are willing to let go of, since folks are so encouraging?

Last edited by gogglesnoseplugs : 03-22-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some wording
Old 03-22-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I don't have a spare one, but if I did, you could have it. ;)

I understand tight budgets, but honestly I can't imagine how/why you would hate it. Yes, you are modest...but...it's a swimming pool...the right equipment will make all the difference! Even if it doesn't instantly "fix" your swimming issues, I wouldn't recommend "going back" to the shorts. Just get the gear that works. How many women do you see wearing t-shirt and shorts to swim in? (Yes, i know, a few...but not the ones that want to be graceful swimmers).

One of my new favorite quotes may get you over the hurdle..
"We swim because we are too sexy for a sport that requires clothes."
-Author unknown.

:)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-22-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Putting the suit issue aside, as much as I still am open to someone handing one off to me if possible, I just got done with some laps at the pool. I tried to be attentive to my rotation to see if I could reduce the amount of rotation when breathing in, but I still am rolling pretty far up; I might as well be switching over to backstroke at this point... :/

Ideas?
Old 03-22-2010

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogglesnoseplugs View Post
Putting the suit issue aside, as much as I still am open to someone handing one off to me if possible, I just got done with some laps at the pool. I tried to be attentive to my rotation to see if I could reduce the amount of rotation when breathing in, but I still am rolling pretty far up; I might as well be switching over to backstroke at this point... :/

Ideas?
Spearing too deep can pull you too far underwater and then you have to almost roll upside down to breathe. Try spearing straight out to 3:00 if you think this may be the problem.

Swimming too slow can be a problem too, you may not have enough momentum to stay near the surface.

ames
Old 03-22-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
Spearing too deep can pull you too far underwater and then you have to almost roll upside down to breathe. Try spearing straight out to 3:00 if you think this may be the problem.

Swimming too slow can be a problem too, you may not have enough momentum to stay near the surface.

ames
Ames-

I never really thought about that, but now that you mention it, I am slicing in at 11:00 to noon (left arm) and noon to 1:00 (right arm) sweeping or sculling directly below my torso. That pulls the "low side" of my body toward the bottom. That forces me to rotate that 135 degrees. Thanks for the insight, and I'll give your suggestion a try when I go to the pool next.

Still will consider a Speedo, though along with Ames' suggestion, if anyone is willing to let one go...

-gogglesnoseplugs
Old 03-23-2010

PASA
Default Try swimoutlet.com

They often have clearance suits for relatively little $.
But for my money, I'd get a Speedo Endurance fabric suit - jammer or brief. Jammer would be best for modesty (that's what I wear). The fabric lasts much longer than typical suits.

It may feel odd at first, but the drag reduction could be dramatic compared to board shorts.

Also, I recommend using a product called Suit Solutions for a rinse. It neutalizes chlorine. Put about 3 cap fulls in a bucket of water to use for a week to rinse your suits. Change the water out once per week. Really prolongs the life of the suit.
Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASA View Post
They often have clearance suits for relatively little $.
But for my money, I'd get a Speedo Endurance fabric suit - jammer or brief. Jammer would be best for modesty (that's what I wear). The fabric lasts much longer than typical suits.

It may feel odd at first, but the drag reduction could be dramatic compared to board shorts.

Also, I recommend using a product called Suit Solutions for a rinse. It neutalizes chlorine. Put about 3 cap fulls in a bucket of water to use for a week to rinse your suits. Change the water out once per week. Really prolongs the life of the suit.
Thanks for the suggestions pertaining to care of the suit, yet I have looked at some clearance stuff and it is still $20 or so. Therefore, since I rather not spend $20 and then not like the suit, I just threw the request out there after a couple folks were so encouraging.