Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westyswoods View Post
What is your mailing address?

Westy
E-mail me and I will provide it that way... If that is not a problem... I just don't like giving too much personal information out unless I have to... mmarsha5030@hotmail.com

If you prefer I provide it here strictly, then I'll do so upon your request.

Last edited by gogglesnoseplugs : 03-23-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Additional phrasing or added text
Old 03-23-2010

PASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post
Absolute agreement on the Speedo Endurance fabric, that is great! (but not particularly cheap).
What's a jammer, by the way, I couldn't find any explanation? Is it the suits that look a little more square, meaning they have this little idea of legs unlike the briefs? If yes, I happen to wear one of those and they are really comfortable. And no drag. And need to be tight. Of course, swim wear always needs to be tight.
A jammer goes from waist to the top of the knee. Popular here in the U.S.

Good luck gogglesnoseplugs on figuring out your stroke issues. Video certainly will get you better feedback. Perhaps a lower drag suit will help!
Old 03-24-2010

haschu33

Thanks, PASA, I looked it up at the speedo website, what I am wearing is called 'aqua-shorts'. I don't like swim suits with legs. You see only a few people here with jammers.
At speedo's they have a selection of drag suits, but for some reason they don't call their board-shorts a 'drag suit'.
Old 03-24-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Well, here is something new when I went to the pool this morning; two things that happened ended up "bittersweet." First, I thought I had the overcompensation thing "corrected" because I am not rotating as much. I got a handful of laps in with no problem at all, then something switched like at the snap of the finger. I could not get a steady exhale all the way through to the next breath. As more swimmers got into the water and the pool got somewhat choppy, water was entering my nose and I began sucking water in with each breath.

I decided not to get discouraged, but instead try to adjust a few things and eventually got back into rhythm of things. I am still trying to work on getting video footage of my swimming for you folks to help me out.

But here is the second thing that was not so great, and it might force some down time before I go to the pool next. I stated earlier that the pool was rather active; some lanes were being shared. As I was swimming, another guy was going to get in the same lane as me, and I am more than glad to share. But he apparently was not paying attention to the fact I was swimming toward the wall and the deck on which he was standing; he dove right in and collided with me, and we bumped each other pretty hard yet nobody was seriously hurt. If I had seen him, I would have slowed down and/or moved over. I hope to get back to the pool soon so I can focus on getting a handle on my breathing issues permanently.
Old 03-26-2010

gogglesnoseplugs
Default Definitely a difference

Holy smokes! Despite the temporary headache from the other day, I went to the pool this afternoon and definitely had a true awakening. Westy was kind enough to lend me a couple older pairs of Speedo swimsuits, so I thought I would give it a go to see why people were so encouraging to have me try swimming with such a suit. I was so stunned to find a difference in how I moved through the water; even though my breathing situation still needs fine tuning. The speed due to less drag has helped somewhat in my breathing, but other things need addressed. I am just amazed that it is like I am "cutting butter with a warm knife" now and able to glide. This even has helped me in my flipturns because of the speed approaching the wall. Thanks everyone who encouraged the swimsuit switch!
Old 03-28-2010

gogglesnoseplugs
Default There has to be something that I'm missing

Just to put it out there before I continue, I have yet to be successful at acquiring any video footage for you to help me through critique; I have not been able to get a camera to shoot footage, and on top of that the pool I go to is very picky about cameras. There is a sign in the corridor from the showers to the pool indicating that cameras are not permitted. I am going to inquire as to why.

That being stated, I am about to throw my hands up in the air and say, "Forget this" when it comes to continue to swim. I know that the TI method is not the only way of learning, but it is what I have been told is the best. I really find it to be helpful. But there must be something I am missing, so if I do not say forget it, I'll fall back to basic drills.

The left arm limitations have been addressed as much as possible, but I am still fighting with my breathing. I have tried to be mindful of not rotating so much; and even tried the "keeping one goggle wet" approach. I am taking in water up my nose and in my mouth with this approach; I then dug out a noseclip I had in the bottom of my bag to see if I could at least cure the water up the nose. This cured water up the nose but only created more problems with my mouth because I not only have to exhale with my mouth only, but I have to be quick enough to inhale with my mouth before I start exhaling with my face in the water. This took me back to the over-rotation. Is there some sort of groove or trough that you can make with your stoke pattern to take in air with having your mouth barely out of the water?

I know you all rather see footage rather than just read about it, and I'll see what I can do. Getting one-on-one instruction would be nice, but the budget does not allow it at this point.
Old 03-28-2010

westyswoods

Gogglesnoseplugs,

OK let us back up a few steps before the earth falls apart all water disappears so there is no where for us to discover man is truly a land based creature. I have been at this TI stuff for over two years and still struggle with basics. Went to the pool yesterday and just did not feel like things were clicking not matter how much I tried to focus on specific drills. Decision to switch to whole stroke with one focal point per 25, rest and do another. Point being there are times of disappointment but do not let them turn into discouragement. I believe there is a tremendous difference between the two.

To answer a couple of your questions. With all the technology today society is becoming very cautious about privacy issues, especially in locker rooms and pool settings. I would suggest that you approach the director of the pool and explain your situation and the reason for wanting to video tape.

Breathing drill, push off to whole stroke, take no more than one or two normal breaths stop and head back doing some type of balance drill. Repeat again and again . The extra speed and balance from the push off should give you a better bow wave to breath into.

Keep at it.
Old 03-28-2010

Grant

[
I have tried to be mindful of not rotating so much; and even tried the "keeping one goggle wet" approach. I am taking in water up my nose and in my mouth with this approach; I then dug out a noseclip I had in the bottom of my bag to see if I could at least cure the water up the nose. This cured water up the nose but only created more problems with my mouth because I not only have to exhale with my mouth only, but I have to be quick enough to inhale with my mouth before I start exhaling with my face in the water. This took me back to the over-rotation. Is there some sort of groove or trough that you can make with your stoke pattern to take in air with having your mouth barely out of the water?

I dont know if this has been mentioned in this thread so here goes.
The trick wheather you use a nose clip or not is to breath out while your face is in the water and so all you have to do when the nose/mouth is above water is inhale. Using this method there is lots of time to inhale. Success is just around the corner.
Old 03-28-2010

gogglesnoseplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
/
The trick wheather you use a nose clip or not is to breath out while your face is in the water and so all you have to do when the nose/mouth is above water is inhale. Using this method there is lots of time to inhale. Success is just around the corner.
What do you mean? If I try to keep my speed up, then I have to breathe with the time of my speed; this means my head rolls up for less time. If I slow my speed, then I can get more air time but everything else goes out of whack. If I take into account Westy's suggestions then speed is key, but if I slow my tempo down a bit, I'm wondering if I should play with loosening the noseclip a little to allow me to exhale instead of popping my ears by the air going out the Eustachian tubes; but still prevent water going up my nose. Can you expound on your thoughts, please?
Old 03-28-2010

Grant

[quote=Grant;9879][

The trick wheather you use a nose clip or not is to breath out while your face is in the water and so all you have to do when the nose/mouth is above water is inhale. Using this method there is lots of time to inhale.

Hi: Sorry, what I mean is breath out thru your mouth while your face is in the water. Does that clarify it for you?