Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2017
eytygy

Default Who will be the new face or chief innovator of TI - with the void left by Terry

Hi all,

Just a thought - albeit this may be quite difficult and challenging to answer - who will eventually be the new face or chief innovator and mover of TI with the demise of Terry?

We all know how much Terry has brought TI to where it is now and as he himself being known fondly for coming up with ways to becoming better - in swim or even in life, and I am sure that he may still have a lot to say/contribute, but he had to simply go - who will now fill that void? Can we say that the state of TI as it is now can be considered "complete"? If not, who will lead the way as Terry had?

Am basically curious, it is quite different with Terry not around. He seems to have new ideas, insights, visions, thoughts, etc from time to time which has led to the development and innovations in TI and swimming over the years. Who will that person be? Or who will those persons be, perhaps?

We should be glad for the forum - as the body of work that Terry leaves - somehow gets to live on and further grow/evolve.

Cheers!

Happy ~o^ and more >-^o_
Old 12-07-2017
bujanglokal

At least in Asia, Shinji.
Old 12-07-2017
Coach

CoachTeresa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eytygy View Post
Hi all,

Just a thought - albeit this may be quite difficult and challenging to answer - who will eventually be the new face or chief innovator and mover of TI with the demise of Terry?

We all know how much Terry has brought TI to where it is now and as he himself being known fondly for coming up with ways to becoming better - in swim or even in life, and I am sure that he may still have a lot to say/contribute, but he had to simply go - who will now fill that void? Can we say that the state of TI as it is now can be considered "complete"? If not, who will lead the way as Terry had?

Am basically curious, it is quite different with Terry not around. He seems to have new ideas, insights, visions, thoughts, etc from time to time which has led to the development and innovations in TI and swimming over the years. Who will that person be? Or who will those persons be, perhaps?

We should be glad for the forum - as the body of work that Terry leaves - somehow gets to live on and further grow/evolve.

Cheers!

Happy ~o^ and more >-^o_
Although Terry is no longer with us, we have his wife, Alice and three daughters, Betsy, Fiona and Carrie. They have always been an influence and voice along with Terry. We need to give them time to mourn.
Also, TI has an international network of collaborative coaches that are innovative and progressive. I can't answer if there will be one face or many in the future but I can speak for myself. As a TI Coach on the continual path to mastery, innovation and evolution is always part of my swimming and coaching success.
Old 12-07-2017

sclim

Judging from the wealth of collective wisdom (from the whole host of TI coaches around the world) that has expanded on, clarified, and generally augmented Terry's excellent laying down of principles, I have great optimism that the huge initial groundwork that Terry built has made possible a great momentum of like minded thinkers who will work with each other, discussing always, and learning from each other, acknowledging the minor differences of each other's approach, and continuing the progress of common understanding that has been and is TI.

I think we just have to leave it some time for us to understand exactly how it will evolve from here.
Old 12-12-2017
eytygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujanglokal View Post
At least in Asia, Shinji.
True, but then, this is what I was a bit concerned - that over time, TI or the network of TI coaches/advocates/adherents/practitioners/etc. may become fragmented/divided over what is TI eventually - whether this will be done geographically, or by following certain TI personalities, or by emphasizing a certain or several principles. With Terry around, as he fondly calls himself - the chief innovator for TI - all look up to him, but with him no longer around - looking up to many (he/she or those who may rise to the occasion) may become confusing eventually.

Don't get me wrong though, Shinji is fine by me, as in terms of embodying TI as developed, there may be no other practitioner of it as him (there are obvious differences one can see in the synchronized freestyle swim video clip of Terry and Shinji, as Shinji's seem to take the least effort and Shinji's legs are not as spread as that of Terry's - these among others will be noticed after seeing/viewing the said video clip several times). This does not mean to degrade Terry though, he is after all the one who started it all, for without him, Shinji will not be swimming the way he is swimming today.

I could only hope that my concerns are unfounded - and that there will be some sort of unity despite Terry's passing away in terms of what holds TI as it was when Terry was alive.
Old 12-12-2017
eytygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTeresa View Post
Although Terry is no longer with us, we have his wife, Alice and three daughters, Betsy, Fiona and Carrie. They have always been an influence and voice along with Terry. We need to give them time to mourn.
Also, TI has an international network of collaborative coaches that are innovative and progressive. I can't answer if there will be one face or many in the future but I can speak for myself. As a TI Coach on the continual path to mastery, innovation and evolution is always part of my swimming and coaching success.
True, very true, indeed as well (as was in my earlier reply to another message). However, as I have mentioned, I have concerns that it may become confusing should there be many to look up on, whereas before when Terry was around it was simple and easy. Yes, individually, whether we be coaches or anyone who has taken on swimming by way of TI, I agree with what you say regarding the path to mastery, innovation, and evolution - which is perhaps what Terry was able to share and have been able to impress upon us.
Old 12-12-2017
eytygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
Judging from the wealth of collective wisdom (from the whole host of TI coaches around the world) that has expanded on, clarified, and generally augmented Terry's excellent laying down of principles, I have great optimism that the huge initial groundwork that Terry built has made possible a great momentum of like minded thinkers who will work with each other, discussing always, and learning from each other, acknowledging the minor differences of each other's approach, and continuing the progress of common understanding that has been and is TI.

I think we just have to leave it some time for us to understand exactly how it will evolve from here.
Yes, I hope and pray so, for the sake of Terry and TI as a whole. Thanks so much for this, and coming from a senior member of the forum, this is quite reassuring.
Old 12-12-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eytygy View Post
True, but then, this is what I was a bit concerned - that over time, TI or the network of TI coaches/advocates/adherents/practitioners/etc. may become fragmented/divided over what is TI eventually - whether this will be done geographically, or by following certain TI personalities, or by emphasizing a certain or several principles. With Terry around, as he fondly calls himself - the chief innovator for TI - all look up to him, but with him no longer around - looking up to many (he/she or those who may rise to the occasion) may become confusing eventually.
Actually, Terry called himself the Chief Executive Optimist. So be optimistic, and stay tuned! :-)

Bob
Old 12-12-2017
eytygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
Actually, Terry called himself the Chief Executive Optimist. So be optimistic, and stay tuned! :-)

Bob
I stand corrected, thanks so much Coach Bob for pointing that out - really highly appreciate it - and thanks for the advice too ;-) - I will indeed stay tuned - though I guess a lot of us here - will / will be.