Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014

starrynight
Default How can i improve on my fly? Good technique but slowest in my team?

Just some background info, I only started training competitively in my late teens, no prior competitive experience.

I am told by my peers and coach that i have good techniques but my pulling frequency is slow.
During 50 fly, my timings are very slow even though i am trying my best to sprint, whereas my peers also without competitive experience are able to achieve 3-5s faster..
I just cant pull fast enough, tend to stop at the recovery after my hands enter the water. Hands enter, then rest a moment before i can pull in a S shape again. This is especially so for 100s and worse for 200s.

Perhaps my technique is good because my arms are able to clear the water quite low, but the problem is that i cant lift them any higher even if i want to. My arms will drop and barely clear the water when towards the end of 100s and 200s though.

I try my best during trainings but struggle very hard, and even swim on my own and do some land trainings. Desperate to hear from you guys for some guidance and tips. THANK YOU!!!!
Old 10-04-2014

Superfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Just some background info, I only started training competitively in my late teens, no prior competitive experience.

I am told by my peers and coach that i have good techniques but my pulling frequency is slow.
During 50 fly, my timings are very slow even though i am trying my best to sprint, whereas my peers also without competitive experience are able to achieve 3-5s faster..
I just cant pull fast enough, tend to stop at the recovery after my hands enter the water. Hands enter, then rest a moment before i can pull in a S shape again. This is especially so for 100s and worse for 200s.
It's impossible to know for sure without watching your technique but it sounds like you're pausing as your arms enter the water. Butterfly requires a quick catch so your arms are never resting. Instead, the arms enter the water with the intention of grabbing as much water as possible. Sculling exercises may help you with this. You want to get the feeling of quickly catching the water. Pretend that there are two ropes in front of you when you Butterfly. Reach out and grab the ropes and then pull on them. That's the feeling you're going after.

Also, instead of thinking of an "S" shape, think of anchoring your arms vertically (from fingertips to elbows) and vaulting over them. This requires some shoulder flexibility so stretch your back and shoulders beforehand.

Lastly, Butterfly relies on solid rhythm. You're going to struggle if you don't follow the rhythm perfectly. Counting from 1 to 4 repeatedly works great for me. You can also hum or listen to music as most songs are in 4/4 time.

Last edited by Superfly : 10-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2015

descending

Very tough to troubleshoot your fly stroke w/o a video. Some things to consider.

1 beat kick or 2? When I was coming up there was no 2 beat kick fly and I always cringed when the coach called IM work. I simply did not have the rhythm and timing to keep moving with 1 kick per stroke cycle at any kind of respectable pace. When the 2 beat fly kick came into vogue it transformed me into a kid who suddenly loved butterfly! Think 'kick hands in' and 'kick hands out'. This can really assist you in learning how to not move up and down so much, but more forward. You want to move through the water like a low amplitude sine wave if swimming your fastest fly is the goal. Our squad still has a couple of 1 beat kick flyers and they are painfully slow, but there is nothing wrong with that if they just want to get it done. Fly is a rhythm stroke and 2 kicks per cycle is the glue that helps me keep my body lines taught and high in the water. At 48 I clocked a 28.low 50 yard fly off the blocks last season. I'm not sure I could do a 37 with a single kick fly stroke. It's potentially that huge of a deal to the clock. Fly is completely intolerant of any extra drag and anything you can do to assist the body in keeping streamlined will have a huge payoff for you in terms of speed. My kicks are not extremely powerful, but they are well timed and keep me higher in the water.

As far as your arm action goes there is no way to swim good fly if you are getting stuck down by your hips. Grab the water early, quick catch and quick release. Fly has a lot of great carry over to free with not only catch feel, but overall fitness. Enjoy!

Last edited by descending : 05-13-2015 at 07:16 PM.