Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2016

lloyddinma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
So you guys are all perfect swimmers in the arm pull department?
I guess 95% of swimmers are pushing water down form start of pull to arm at shoulder height.
Spearing deep is using the arm as a snow shovel pushing water up, but that force is less than pushing down force I guess.
Any water that is pushed down at the front is helping rotation, and bringing the elbow with the attached forearm/hand to the body after the wide point also has this effect a bit.
For me the driving force of rotation feels more like a four wheeldrive. The rotation can be helped at the rear with the kick/hip, with the arm thrown in at the front and with the underwaterpull, but the arm thrown forward movment is also originating from the kick.
I am a little lost with the snow shovel analogy and wrt how spearing deep pushes water up. (Edit: I think you digging in and displacing water/ snow which has no where to go but up)

I want to believe that the arm thrown movement Is originating from the hip, which in itself is originating from the kick. The analogy I have tried to preserve is the domino effect: one falls on the other to the last one in the cascade.

However, I think you are on to something with the 4WD analogy

Stillness is the greatest revelation.
-- Lao Tzu
The light of the body is the eye.
-- J. Ch__st.

Last edited by lloyddinma : 06-05-2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Re-address.
Old 06-06-2016

Zenturtle

buy a pair of fins and motor forward on your kick.
Now hold you arm in different positions to see what it does to your balance and how much drag you feel.
Its a good way anyway to idle with the arms and see where your usual movement causes drag and where you can add propulsion.