Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2016

rjh18
Default Sinking on zipper drill

Just started the first zipper drill extending my hand and then pulling back. However it seems difficult to get my elbow out of the water since as soon as I begin the movement my body sinks. Any ideas on how to fix this? Tks.
Old 06-03-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh18 View Post
Just started the first zipper drill extending my hand and then pulling back. However it seems difficult to get my elbow out of the water since as soon as I begin the movement my body sinks. Any ideas on how to fix this? Tks.
Skip the drill? What you are experiencing is normal for that drill. What materials are you using? we have not taught zipper drill in 10+ years.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-03-2016
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Skip the drill? What you are experiencing is normal for that drill. What materials are you using? we have not taught zipper drill in 10+ years.
curious, why not?

seems it imprints a high elbow and low hand position....what, if any drill, teaches that sensory skill?
Old 06-03-2016

rjh18

I am using the video Freestyle Made Easy. This is the zipper skating drill.
Old 06-03-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
curious, why not?

seems it imprints a high elbow and low hand position....what, if any drill, teaches that sensory skill?
Maybe because swimmers risk imprinting over-rotation and stacked elbows behind the scapular plane? (Just a guess) I think "high elbow" isn't the goal now, but "high enough" instead. From what I remember, zipper skate also didn't emphasize wide tracks, but a very narrow recovery.

Last edited by Tom Pamperin : 06-03-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2016
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
Maybe because swimmers risk imprinting over-rotation and elbows? (Just a guess) I think "high elbow" isn't the goal now, but "high enough" instead. From what I remember, zipper skate also didn't emphasize wide tracks, but a very narrow recovery.
yes correct on zipping up along the body, but dragging fingers on wide tracks is what I am referencing
Old 06-03-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
yes correct on zipping up along the body, but dragging fingers on wide tracks is what I am referencing
That doesn't sound like the zipper skate drill as I recall it, though.

Am I remembering it wrong, or are you suggesting doing a similar drill but maintaining wide tracks as you do it, rather than keeping the recovery close in to the body as the old drill showed?
Old 06-03-2016
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
That doesn't sound like the zipper skate drill as I recall it, though.

Am I remembering it wrong, or are you suggesting doing a similar drill but maintaining wide tracks as you do it, rather than keeping the recovery close in to the body as the old drill showed?
yes Tom the old drill recovered the arm close to the long axis body line.....

In 1997, Terry called it 'Balanced Recovery' in his workshop material.....he wrote: "taking hand out of your pocket , then dragging the thumb up your side (like pulling a zipper up your side)".....

I 'hybridized' his drill from the discussions here based on the 'wide track' idea to avoid axis crossover while still keeping a low recovery hand to avoid unbalance and a windmilling arm recovery....

how is 'Balanced Recovery' now imprinted in the "New TI"?
Old 06-03-2016

IngeA

Zen Switch?
Old 06-06-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

The drill has really been a part of TI for a long time, but the exact way we do it has evolved over the years, and at some point it was decided that Zipperskate was actually a misleading description of how we wanted people to do it. The current name is Swingskate.

It's not uncommon for your body to sink during this drill. Your body's buoyancy is constant, so when your arm comes up, the rest of your body has to sink to compensate. The important thing is to make sure it sinks horizontally. When your hand returns to your thigh, your body should come back up again.

Bob