Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2016

jenson1a
Default Use of snorkel

For the last few days I have been trying to incorporate activate rest intervals in my practice sessions. I use the snorkel to get my breathing back to a less than panting state. I swim 2 to 4 lengths with the snorkel and my breathing returns to normal. One thing I notice is that my spl goes up with the snorkel--2 to 3 strokes. Is this normal or does it indicate some flaw in my technique?

My normal rest intervals consist of so many nasal breaths between sets. But after 40 minutes or so, the normal 6 to 8 breaths lengthen to 15 or 20. This means that I am just standing at the wall for 1 to 1.5 minutes doing nothing. that is when I decided to use the snorkel for more of an active rest.

so to summarize I have 2 questions. Why is my spl going up when using a snorkel and secondly is the active rest interval a good idea or should I continue with the longer nasal breaths?

Sherry
Old 05-01-2016

WFEGb

Hello Sherry,

just two assumptions:

#1: Is your head with snorkel as relaxed and you're looking down same way as without? If not, this might cause 1-2SPL more easyly...

#2: I don't have a snorkel, so my active rests are most times "froglike backstroke with relaxed head and without using arms" because this is totally different to FS and pure relaxation (for me) without any breathing issue. It shows the start for the next round feels easier than just standing at the pool's egdge for same time.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-02-2016

jenson1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Sherry,

just two assumptions:

#1: Is your head with snorkel as relaxed and you're looking down same way as without? If not, this might cause 1-2SPL more easyly...

#2: I don't have a snorkel, so my active rests are most times "froglike backstroke with relaxed head and without using arms" because this is totally different to FS and pure relaxation (for me) without any breathing issue. It shows the start for the next round feels easier than just standing at the pool's egdge for same time.

Best regards,
Werner
I like your 2nd suggestion--maybe not the froglike backstroke, but something like LLR or skate or even better skate, stroke, stroke, stroke, skate.

Tks for replying

Sherry
Old 05-04-2016

s.sciame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post

so to summarize I have 2 questions. Why is my spl going up when using a snorkel and secondly is the active rest interval a good idea or should I continue with the longer nasal breaths?

Sherry
Hi Sherry, some possible causes for spl going up:

- shorter pushoff
- less body rotation
- the snorkel itself could add some drag depending on head position

To assess if the first one is true for you, take the pushoff out of the equation: swim some lengths pushing off from the ground and not from the wall, with and without the snorkel and compare spl. If you hit the same spl, the first cause is true.

As for the 2nd question: yes, imho active recovery is a good idea, especially when you otherwise would rest at the walls for one minute or more.

Regards,
Salvo
Old 05-04-2016

jenson1a

Hi Salvo

Tks for suggestions. I thought of the pushoff, but did not consider less body rotation, and/or added drag depending on head position. Will explore these next time in pool

Sherry