Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014

abregov
Default I finally get it!

Ok, I do not know if I just had an a-ha moment or not. I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

I started doing triathlons two years ago. Did not know how to really swim at all. Could barely swim 25 yards without looking like an English bulldog (basically going straight to the bottom or dog paddling).

So I purchase the TI book and DVD. I start doing the drills and sooner than later, I am able to actually swim. As I progress, I search for more information about swimming. I am kind of an information junkie. I try to research the heck out of everything I do. I am reading and researching
smooth swim, master swimming, all different triathlon swimming coach’s books. What I end up doing is just confusing the hell out of myself.

I believe all the other styles and methods were confusing me. As I did my TI swimming practices, I would fear I was overgliding, swimming to slow, not pulling hard enough, etc.

I would try to determine if I was an Arnie swimmer (ex-Rugby Player, so I am pretty sure I was an Arnie). Being an Arnie, it said you needed to kick more and ditch the two-beat kick. All this information I realized just clouded my brain with to much stuff I did not need. All I really needed was TI and to shut all the other noise out.

I think I finally realized that TI swimming is all I really needed. I need to stop searching for some holy grail that was going to tell me how to swim correctly. I really just needed to concentrate on TI methods and it would provide the relaxed, calm and less energy swimming I was looking for.

I really enjoy doing triathlons. Once I did my first one I was hooked. The swim was always the one big hurdle I needed to overcome. Now I realize that all I need to do is refine and continue to burn into memory the TI techniques and shut all the other swim methods and styles out of my head.

There is nothing wrong with those other methods and if they work for you great. But for me, I am not going to worry about being an overglider or Arnie, I am just going to be a TI swimmer and cruise my way through my triathlon swims. For those out there that listen and research things to death like me. Stop, TI is all you need if you want to swim and enjoy it.
Old 03-14-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi abregov!

That's great to hear you are getting a lot of traction from TI. About 90% of my students are triathletes, Ironman to those just starting in triathlon swimming their first mile - many frustrated from trying other programs. Great job separating out all the noise - ton of stuff out there. Come back frequently and ask questions - and check out the Total Immersion Academy too.

Keep up the good work!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 03-14-2014

abregov

Hi Coach Stuart,

I am signed up for your Lake Forest workshop, looking forward to meeting.
Old 03-15-2014
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

That's AWESOME! Look forward to seeing at Lake Forest!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 05-05-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abregov View Post
.. I started doing triathlons two years ago. Did not know how to really swim at all. Could barely swim 25 yards ... I really enjoy doing triathlons. ...
Congratulations! Wondering how long it took to get from that 25 yds to your first triathlon?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-18-2014

mjensen2k
Smile

Just a point of reference. I did my first, second, third... triathlons at basically the 25yard limit. It wasn't necessarily pretty, but can be done! Lots of people do it, too.
Old 08-25-2014

SlipryNoodle

Now that's inspiring. Back in the day did you spend a lot of time in sweet spot, or just switch off to a different stroke?

I suppose that thanks to the California drought I could just stand up if I got tired.
Old 03-24-2017

Nockon

Wow, I could have wrote this myself except replace Rugby with Hockey LOL. I'm also suppose to be an Arnie, maybe we can start a 12 step programs "Hi my name is Claude and I'm an Arnie" :-)

Its great to see that I'm not alone. I've been at this pretty much going on 4 years and was always looking for the magic bullet. Tried to get faster with being smooth then tried then went on to try to gain speed with High Elbows and got injured trying to power my way to swimming faster.

Now all I want is to get in the water and enjoy the moment and the process. I don't want to think about getting out the water first all out of breath with heart pumping so hard that I can't get my wetsuit off.

So thank you for posting this, I find it very helpful.

Cheers,
Old 04-12-2017
Coach

CoachGeorgeRandall

Hi Abregov,
Congrats on your TI and tri journey! Most of my clients are triathletes both beginners and experienced with different goals in swimming. As a coach (and triathlete) and certified in both TI and conventional forms I find that having an open mind(less rigidness, more flexibility) in the learning process is a good approach. For me TI is the path I choose to take in the world of water :-)
Happy Laps
George
Old 07-17-2018
rami999

Default hi

congrats
unfotunattly i cant make it so good luck