Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013

Mike from NS
Default a question regarding "continuance"

Would someone suggest a technique or focus point that might help to encourage stamina to promote "continuance"? I'm looking to turn a 25M swim into at least a 50M non-stop. Maybe reaching the wall is a mental victory and I would appreciate suggestions that would transfer that mental victory to reaching the wall from which I start (having reached the one at the end of the pool first). I think it is a matter of stamina but maybe there is more going on here that I realize. I can comfortably cover 25M but appear to need some focus or motivation to comfortably continue back to from where I started.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-19-2013

Rincewind

Offer yourself some prize, like if you do a 50 non-stop you will treat yourself to dinner at your favorite restaurant.
Old 07-19-2013

Richardsk

Another suggestion:

Learn to do a turn - open turn for example, and then practise turns for a bit in order to accustom your brain to the idea of going back the way you came. Then gradually start your swim into the turn from further away from the wall until you (quite soon probably) do a 50M swim, after which longer distances should be a piece of cake.

Of course if you feel really ambitious you could learn the flip or tumble turn. ;-)
Old 07-19-2013

StuartK

How about thinking of it as 4 quarters instead of two lengths? Stop halfway tred water or float for a couple of seconds, then carry on to the end, come back once again stopping half way, it might be enough to re-programme the thinking and enough to know that you can do it as it requires as much energy to stop and start as carry on. As you suspect, from the Breathing Thread, it is probably a breathing thing I find when I start to fall apart that usually I've reverted to holding my breath and breathing out in short bursts instead of a steady flow.
Old 07-19-2013

Mike from NS

All great suggestions ! Thanks very much. Rewards therapy is always a good idea. Thanks Rincewind. Maybe I could add .... when I get this 50M non stop happening ... the reward would be being able to tell that story here -- my wife likes the dinner out idea too.

As you suggest Richard, I have been backing off the wall about 3 stokes away and swim at it, do an open turn and go back some ..... have to push this more. Maybe I give up too soon. Haven't conquered flip turns yet --- my sinuses rebel big time when tried. And that is strange because they don't mind sitting on the bottom 12 feet down. The somersault really bothers them.

And the suggestion of 1/4's is a good one too. Breaking things into smaller bits is a plan. Thanks Stuart. I'll try this as well. These days my comfort level is much, much better. I'm quite capable to porpoise to the bottom several times while traveling the 25M pool length. A year or two ago I would only be able to watch in amazement at people doing this. All part of my "playing to find comfort/confidence" philosophy. Lately, towards this goal of play for finding the feeling of balance and control, I've been sculling the pool length floating on my back traveling feet first. Probably looks strange but it's fun and good balance practice.

Mike
Old 07-19-2013

Richardsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9m9otolSo

If you ever get bored you could try this.
Old 07-19-2013

Scotty
Default It's all mental

Mike:

I think that many of us have a mental block on distance. For example, I swim 500 yards in the indoor 25 yard pool, but when the outdoor 50 meter pool opens my distance decreases dramatically. It took me several times in the pool just to get 100 meters without stopping.

It's all mental, because you know you have the fitness level to do more. So to re-build my confidence I am now swimming 50 freestyle, then 50 breaststroke. I go for 500 yards then stop for a one minute water break, then do four more sets for a total of 2000 meters.

One hundred yards now seems the norm, so I will lengthen to 150 next week.

My advice if you don't have a leisure stroke like breast stroke is to make the turn, and take a couple of strokes, then stand up or float on your back for a while. Each time you go to the pool, try to increase the strokes by two. You will quickly get your 50.

An Irish nun I worked with once told me, "Lad, life is hard by the yard, but by the inch it's a cinch."

Sister Bridgett was right.

Happy laps (note the plural)

Scott
Old 07-19-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Would someone suggest a technique or focus point that might help to encourage stamina to promote "continuance"? I'm looking to turn a 25M swim into at least a 50M non-stop. Maybe reaching the wall is a mental victory and I would appreciate suggestions that would transfer that mental victory to reaching the wall from which I start (having reached the one at the end of the pool first). I think it is a matter of stamina but maybe there is more going on here that I realize. I can comfortably cover 25M but appear to need some focus or motivation to comfortably continue back to from where I started.
Thanks,
Mike
There's only one mantra for me that counts in this situation, and it is to swim as slowly as you possibly can.
Old 07-19-2013

Talvi

Just an extension of Stuart's suggestion really: Give yourself permission to fail! Get to wherever you feel is enough and just float on your back until you're ready to keep going. Stretch out, hands above your head/shoulders, be comfortable, then continue when you want. Have fun. Stop thinking of getting to the other end, lose that goal and thought of distance completely, and just focus on a feeling of "marking time", moon walking, swimming on the spot, being in the moment of the swimming rather than being focused on wanting to get out/reach the end. If you're telling yourself you have to go out that'll make you tense, absorb energy, create a panicky desensitised stroke especially re breathing. Take one stroke at a time and make each one a pleasure. Most of all - relax. Get a feeling of lying horizontally "on top of" the water as you would on a bed, take it easy, scull along, have fun :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 07-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2013

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsk View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9m9otolSo
If you ever get bored you could try this.

Richard,

This is a good one..... wish I had thought of it. I'll be trying that one for sure. Thanks ! Lengthening the body line is something I felt with sculling feet first while on my back.

Scott,

Sr Bridgett makes sense. Somewhat Kaizen in concept too. Take an inch at a time and build upon that. I agree ... there is a lot of mental activity going on here. Remember the question in Terry's poll about what we would like to see in the future? There was an aspect about discussing the mental states of swimming. Just as it is in skiing perhaps .... it is about 10 to 20 % physical ability and the 80 to 90 % mental. I will aim for simpler goals and expand upon them as you suggest.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Charles, I am trying to move more slowly and not let myself be "pushed" by others in the lane. Why do some just want to go so fast anyway? I'm able to slow down more these days as the comfort & confidence levels increase. I'm concentrating on feeling the glide and not rushing the stroke. Thanks for the pointer.

Talvi, I agree with your comment. "Take it easy" may help to remove pressure which enhances the relaxed state. Thanks.

The noon time swim today was better for this. It is a rainy day here and I had a lane to myself so I was able to try a number of things. (It is an outdoor pool I use for July and August and people don't seem to want to swim in the rain.) But being a rainy day it is also colder and windy - making for not a fun swim day. However with the opportunity of un-hassled space I concentrated on swimming slowly and tried swimming towards the wall ... starting about 4 strokes away and making an open turn for a glide back followed by a couple of strokes. I'll do this more and build on it. Last Sunday my swimming had me feeling as if I had finally "arrived" but this week was so crazy (crowded) in the water that I feel some regression now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS : 07-30-2013 at 11:06 PM.