Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009

saveup
Default Recomendations on Wetsuits

Does anyone know of the best wetsuit for open water? I do not want a cheap one, but a high quality that will last for a very long time. Some locals have told me purchase Desoto, Blue Seventy, Orca. Just confused, I have rotator cuff problems, so cannot have any tight restrictions. So I have been thinking of bibjohn and then a pullover.
Old 05-08-2009

windandsurf
Default F2R Sockeye Sleeveless

I bought a F2R Sockeye Sleeveless last fall for a sprint triathlon. Very pleased with the suit.

Link http://www.f2r.com/index.php?action1...TU=&c_EventID=

You also can rent this wetsuit from them. Excellent customer service.
Old 05-08-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Fit, fit, fit

There is no universal best brand- the best one for you is the one that fits comfortably and has a great range of motion.
If you're going with sleeves, i'd say go higher-end. Each company has its ultrajohns and then its various sleeved models- the cheaper ones are tighter in the shoulder because they use mostly one material, but the fancier ones are more flexible in the shoulder.
find your local tri store and get what fits best- that is top priority.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 05-08-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDave View Post
There is no universal best brand- the best one for you is the one that fits comfortably and has a great range of motion.
If you're going with sleeves, i'd say go higher-end. Each company has its ultrajohns and then its various sleeved models- the cheaper ones are tighter in the shoulder because they use mostly one material, but the fancier ones are more flexible in the shoulder.
find your local tri store and get what fits best- that is top priority.
Coach Dave, I'm surprised at you mentioning a wetsuit. I figured you'd say what I'm about to. Saveup, skip the wetsuit and go without. I have one and its great for being bouyant and staying afloat but it does a number on your TI stroke. If felt like I had a rubber-band attached to my arms and every time I would extend my recovery arm, I felt as if he sleeve was holding me back. True I could have gone with a sleeveless but I didn't...lesson learned. Now I go without here in windy, foggy, 54 degree San Francisco and I love it. You get use to the cold and it only bothers you for five minutes or so at the beginning. Any way, my stroke and overall TI technique are much improved without the suit. But that's just me trying to convert more folks to non-wetsuit open water swimming

As for getting one, Coach Dave is right, there is no one suit that everyone should have. There are some good companies that make them; Blue Seventy, Body Glove, Fit 2 Race, and others but you need to go to a good sports department store near you and try one on and talk with a salesperson that swims! Sports Basement is where I would suggest you go, but you'll need to check and see if there is one in your neighborhood.

As for me I'm going buck nekiid! Just kidding, I like going in with my training suit, thermal cap and goggles. Besides, all the cool kids are doing it now. Hey Coach Dave, when you coming back out to the Bay Area and swim in Aquatic Park with me?!
Old 05-09-2009

Rhoda

I just got back from a Swimtrek tour in Malta (actually Gozo) where the guides gently insisted that we all wear the offered wetsuits, partly because the water was colder than usual for the time of year, partly because of jellyfish.
The one I was given was a very thin (1.5mm all over) stretchy Aquasphere suit which wasn't as hard to get used to as I thought it would be. It did subtly change my stroke, though. Because my legs were riding higher, I had to keep my head up more, which created a lovely abrasion burn on the back of my neck. I also found that I had to swim a bit flatter, because riding higher on the water made me unstable when I rolled too far.
I can't say I really like wearing it, but I got used to it.
Based solely on my own experience, I'm going to say thinner and stretchier is better, but of course everyone is different. One very slender woman wore one of the thicker Orca suits and kept getting hauled out with hypothermia.
One of the Americans on the tour had a very high-end Blue Seventy, the one with the dimples on the front, and she didn't have neck abrasions at all.
Neither did a fellow from Ireland who showed up with a two-piece DeSoto which had no seams in the neck at all, the zipper started 10cm/4" further down.
Old 05-09-2009

naj

Rhoda, did you use Body Glide lube before you put on the suit? I know that if I don't use it then I would get a rash on the back of my neck.
Old 05-10-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Wetsuit continued

Naj-
There's a good reason I endorse a wetsuit, even with a TI stroke:
you go faster.

There's no way around it. Everyone goes faster with that balance enhancement. It doesn't limit hip snap like a pull buoy, it doesn't hinder shoulder rotation in a good suit, so why not (if allowed in a race)

For many of my clients, I surprise them by fully making this endorsement. I have secret motives. I ask them to get the wetsuit and then go through their full technical checklists again. Things that were tough before are easier, but some things that were natural before are tougher. By changing the situation, a swimmer who has been stuck on the plateau can find a new challenge within the same stroke. They can become mindful with the new challenges and adapt to each situation.

I was in SF two weeks ago and did a nice 1.5 hour swim after the workshop. I think the June clinic has been cancelled, or else I'd be out there again. I may come out for another Alcatraz Challenge.

-Dave
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 05-10-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Rhoda, did you use Body Glide lube before you put on the suit? I know that if I don't use it then I would get a rash on the back of my neck.
We were greased up with Vaseline before each swim, and some people brought their own Body Glide. It didn't seem to prevent the neck rash. One fellow who had the Body Glide was wearing medical tape on his neck for the last swim.
Old 05-10-2009

saveup
Default CoachDave

Would you buy a bibjohn or a full sleave, even though I maybe swimming in November for open water. Now the water is almost 80, would I be better to buy a two piece desoto brand. What about a Sleaveless wetsuit? Is there a better wetsuit for the TI Swim? I would spend up to $1000 if the suit gave be great buoyancy, and did not resrict my shoulder, since i have some rototar cuff problems. I guess Im looking for best, just like golf. I have a great set of ping golf clubs, but its all in the swing, But I do not want to start off with a disadvantage with a poor set of clubs. So comparing to wetsuit, I want the best, but do not want to start off with a wetsuit, that I will have to replace because it was a poor product.
Old 05-11-2009

eileen

Hi everyone,
I'm interested to read all the comments about wetsuits. I've just bought a lightweight sleeveless Aquasphere suit ready for a Swimtrek [hope it was good, Rhoda!] week in the Greek Cyclades islands in June. I've tried it once in the pool and quickly got used to it, but now I'll be careful about the possibility of it rubbing at the neck. I'll post again after the Swimtrek to say how good the suit was.
Eileen