Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011

DVLAswim
Default Maybe the cheapest underwater video camera

If you're looking to shoot some video of yourself underwater on the cheap, this may be the way to go.

http://gizmodo.com/5807300/a-digital...he-ocean-floor

I don't own one yet but I'm seriously considering picking one or two up.
Old 10-01-2011

jenson1a

Has anyone out there bought one of these cameras and if so, how well do they work?
Old 10-01-2011

dshen

I would really spring for a Sanyo VPC-WH1 High Definition Waterproof Flash Memory Camcorder w/ 30x Optical Zoom (Blue). It's really the best option out there for waterproof, underwater video.

I would meld that with a Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction-Cup Mount which you can suction the camera to the wall at the end of the pool.

I also bought a FINIS Lap Track and commandeered the metal assembly that let you hang the Lap Track underwater at the edge of the pool. Instead of the Lap Track, I suctioned cup the video camera mount to it. This is necessary because sometimes the tiles on the side of the pool do not allow a suction cup to grip to it. But if the pool side is smooth, or metal, or have big enough tiles (the tiles must be bigger than the suction cup diameter), then you don't need the Lap Track assembly.
Old 10-02-2011

KatieK

IMO, any video camera that you can put under water and get some kind of image is good enough.

I have an old (~2003) point and shoot camera that takes videos and a waterproof container for it. It works great. My coach uses a high-end video camera. Her videos look prettier, but mine are good enough to see what I need to see.

A high-end camera also draws attention to itself. A small camera like mine or the one in the link is likely to escape attention. If your pool is ambivalent about camera usage, try doing underwater only. The above-water view isn't very instructive anyway.
Old 10-02-2011

jenson1a

thanks Katie

After I posted this question, I thought how stupid. What can you expect for $35. But alls I want is something that shows what I am doing (or what I am not). The camera suggested by dshen is over $319. I am lucky if i can get my husband to agree to buying a pair of goggles let alone a $300 + camera! But tks dshen--I's sure that type of camera is something I may want to look into when I get better at this whole TI thing
Old 10-05-2011

CoachKevin

I've also used a Kodak Playsport camera which is getting cheaper at around $100.00. The viewfinder is fixed and it's not too good outdoors, but for indoor use it's good. It's also a good general use camera, so you can use it for everyday stuff, too.
Dubai, UAE
Old 10-05-2011

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post
thanks Katie

After I posted this question, I thought how stupid. What can you expect for $35. But alls I want is something that shows what I am doing (or what I am not). The camera suggested by dshen is over $319. I am lucky if i can get my husband to agree to buying a pair of goggles let alone a $300 + camera! But tks dshen--I's sure that type of camera is something I may want to look into when I get better at this whole TI thing
ha yeah, swimming with technology can be expensive!

some of the other video cameras can work, but some of them don't have tripod mounts underneath so you need someone else to take videos for you. also, the form factor of the "gun handle" shape doesn't lend itself to just laying it at the edge of the pool, pointing down your lane. this is why the Sanyo that I recommended is the most versatile. too bad it is out of a lot of peoples' budget.

certainly buying another cheaper model can work, but just be aware of usability when you get one.

waterproof digital cameras can work, but some also have a limit to how long a video you can take. so you'd end up just pressing start again and again and you might miss part of your swim if you forget, or if it stops in the middle of a set.
Old 10-05-2011

Zoner
Default Flip Video

Hi, I bought a Flip video camera with underwater case...total price of $120.00
on eBay. It works super in the outdoor lap pool and almost as good under the indoor lighting. I can get about 20 meters of video in good light. And mine lasts for 2 hours. Just an option.
Old 10-06-2011

averydemarr
Default iPhone if you own one with a lifeproof case

If you own an iPhone the cheapest waterproof camera is to add a lifeproof case to it.

LifeProof case
Old 10-06-2011

andyinnorway

i bought a muvi gumball 3000 by veho last week at the airport in the uk.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop.aspx?category=gum

The waterproof casing is a separate purchase but was only $10

The case is very small, the camera shoots 1080p and you get 4 or 5 clamps with it including a rubber compression clamp for windscreen which should be perfect for the pool as I can fix it to the side and then fix the viewing angle according to the height under the water.

I didn't do this for the first couple of attempts and just put the camera face up at the bottom of the pool. You get a tiny amount of detail, even from the deep end (14ft under a second of action per length).

I also needed a spider foot that screws into the camera case to get it to fit the clamp when in the underwater housing.

There is also a smaller version that shoots in SD but is only the size of a usb thumb drive so you could almost put it on your water bottle at the side of the pool and shoot?