Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011

Alex-SG
Default Core Strength = Balance ?

I am still trying to figure out how to feel perfectly balanced and supported by the water. I regularly do Superman Drills and Skating Drills...

After drilling I can swim with balance for 1-2 laps and then hips sink and legs slightly sink again.
Is it because my head position changes?
Or is it because muscles get tired?

I wonder if my balance would become perfect over night if I had core strength like this personal trainer.... What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFtmkYcZEY

ALEX
Old 01-05-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I made that video! Sue has amazing core strength and last winter at this time, i did sessions with her in conjunction with my swimming. I dont know if it helped my swimming, but it certainly made me feel better on a day to day basis.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-05-2011

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
After drilling I can swim with balance for 1-2 laps and then hips sink and legs slightly sink again.
Is it because my head position changes?
Or is it because muscles get tired?

I wonder if my balance would become perfect over night if I had core strength like this personal trainer.... What do you think?

ALEX
I don't think it matters but that's just me. Here's why. I think that swimming by itself builds your core. As you know, I am a runner also. I recently dropped 30 lbs to help my swimming. I figured that all of that extra mass I was lugging around increased my profile in the water and therefore increased drag. I know that I probably became less buoyant but I wanted to try it anyway. Well the weight loss really helped......my running.

But removing , I guess, a layer of fat revealed what I had always tried to get but had never succeeded in getting, a six pack. Now in my running career I have shedded weight before and yet no bonifide six pack. But now I have one and the only thing I can attribute it to is swimming. So by deduction I figure I must be stronger in the core. But even though I got a compliment the other day that my speed in the water had markedly improved, my endurance issues remain.

I've been really working the whole catch/propulsion thing. I kind of tweaked my left shoulder. I've done this before. All I end up doing is becoming more spaghetti armed on the pull phase which puts no pressure on the shoulder. Well I got through the session with no more damage. Because I knew I couldn't really put any pressure on the shoulder, I decided to just relax through the lap even forgetting about my posture. Even though I felt like my legs were sinking a bit, I felt like I was more comfortable and less tired. I think us long legged types may have to rely on refining propulsion to compensate or produce balance. Part of my endurance problem may be that fact that I really tight trying to hold my legs out and up to produce balance which also burns energy. Its the antithesis of swimming relaxed.

I'm going to try swimming that way tomorrow and see if it produces more laps.
Old 01-06-2011

flppr

Hi Atreides. I've missed the postings by yourself, Hashchu, and Shumai. Hope you are all well and that your shoulder heals quickly.

Alex,
I don't think core strengthening will improve your swimming balance much. Swimming is so much more complex than the exercises on that vid. You might want to try the super-slow swimming I've been working on. It challenges your balance in all phases of your stroke, its difficult, and its working for me. I really feel it in my core the next day, too. Twofer!
Old 01-06-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

No one else thinks it's interesting that the video he posted is MY VIDEO!!! I made it!!! I posted it and tagged it with keywords so that people like him would FIND it! And it worked. :) :) :)
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-06-2011

Richardsk

Suzanne

It's a great video and what is really amazing is that the other Susannah can hold a plank, talk and do multiple plank variation exercises all at the same time. Just holding a plank for one minute is no easy task and I conclude that she must have abs of steel. Steel City is a good name, I think.

The dog variation is remarkably similar to the Yoga cat stretch I used to do and probably should start doing again. It's also not unlike the dive-bomber push-up and Hindu push-up. Slight changes of emphasis probably.

I have now subscribed to the videos under my youtube moniker.
Old 01-06-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post

ALEX
I don't know about overnight but improve without a doubt.

With a stronger core you can control your position in the water much more effectively.

But don't buy my words, just book a session with a good personal trainer or a physiotherapist to teach you how to train your core muscles and see it it works.
Old 01-06-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
No one else thinks it's interesting that the video he posted is MY VIDEO!!! I made it!!! I posted it and tagged it with keywords so that people like him would FIND it! And it worked. :) :) :)
Great video and great friends you have Suzanne :)
Old 01-06-2011

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by flppr View Post
You might want to try the super-slow swimming I've been working on. It challenges your balance in all phases of your stroke, its difficult, and its working for me. I really feel it in my core the next day, too. Twofer!
Do you think by swimming really slow that you are actually developing a better feel for the water during the catch phase which is simultaneously improving your balance. One thing that I have noticed is that it appears that for me slower is better when I am in the catch phase. When I want to really move , I have a tendency to really rip my arms through the water. Its hard for me to control because once you are on your way you just sort of get caught up . I wondering if there are really two speeds. The speed in which your recovery arm gets to the water is one. And the speed in which your arm moves through the water. As I think this through, it would also seem that the speed of arm has to be slightly "slower" than the speed of the body in order to hold more water.

So by slowing every thing down are you guaranteeing that you maintaining this relationship. And if you neuro circuits as Terry is fond of referring to can be programmed to recognize the relationship , then even at faster reps your arm speed in the water will be adjusted to your body's speed in the water and you will retain the water holding tendency. Just a thought. Probably wrong.
Old 01-06-2011

aksenov
Default core and abdominal conditioning

In my opinion one of the best exercises for core and abdominal conditioning for swimmers is this (just watch from beginning to end).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDVTNvm80k