Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
(The world needs you to become a TI Coach; within the next few months we will debut an on-line training program to formally recognize and support 'informed enthusiasts' like yourself. It will be called TI Mentor and will serve as the 'farm team' for the next level TI Certified Coach, which will have a more formal, and in-person, training program.)

(In 2011 we will also debut a range of thoughtfully-designed Virtual Events on the TI site

One sort of revelation I'm having while working on these types of sets and as I feel ready for the next level of the speed factor is that I need to let go of the 12-13 and 13-14 spl practice at least in part and now concentrate on 14-15 and perhaps 16-17 spl range. I feel this 5'9" frame has squeezed out most of what is sustainable in the lower stroke ranges. I will still place a priority on maintaining length but would like to explore and expand my range and hopefully ease of speed. What do you think?

Alan
Old 12-20-2010

AWP

Oops

I forgot to mention thank you for the accolades (reason for quote) and the rest all sounds fantastic, enchanting even!
Old 12-22-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP View Post
One sort of revelation I'm having while working on these types of sets and as I feel ready for the next level of the speed factor is that I need to let go of the 12-13 and 13-14 spl practice at least in part and now concentrate on 14-15 and perhaps 16-17 spl range. I feel this 5'9" frame has squeezed out most of what is sustainable in the lower stroke ranges. I will still place a priority on maintaining length but would like to explore and expand my range and hopefully ease of speed. What do you think?

Alan
Alan, I think you have seen the matrix. I have had the exact same sequence of realizatoins while doing work like this. At barely 5'3", I am capable of swimming SPLs of 14-16, and it has taught me much about balance, streamlining and efficiency. But as I began to work with the tempo trainer at faster rates, and without the tempo trainer on focuses including an earlier trigger to start my pull, I've now come to enjoy the 17-19 range and am seeing all of my PRs fall from 25 to 500 yards! (I've yet to swim over 500 yards in a set with my new discoveries).

When it comes down to it, you can only swim so fast while trying to hold SPL ultra low. Eventually you'll need to increase your rate which will not allow as much glide. I hope you also experience the same recent growth that I have!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-23-2010

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I hope you also experience the same recent growth that I have!

Thanks Suzanne, me too.
I've practiced doggedly on this and feel ready to 'let go'. I will always utilize the high efficiency stroke length(s) but will now attempt to step it up and leave the low spls for the ez repeats of a training session. Will let ya know how that shapes up, thanks.

Alan

P.S. This really 'hit' me today when a pool mate @ 6'3" was cruising in @ 1:15 per 100 yds. He was taking too many strokes for his length, imo, 17-18 he says 16. I swam a 100 at his pace and came in @1:20 but with 15-16 spl. I would like to make this sustainable for 500! Then when I hit 17-18... oooh baby!
Old 05-18-2011
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
My experiment with the SPL Pyramid suggested by Alan was a massive success - in fact one of the best sets I've ever swum in my life.

Here's the set:
5 rounds of [3 x 100 YDS on 1:50].
1st round @ 52 strokes (12+13+13+14SPL)
2nd round @ 56 strokes (13+14+14+15SPL)
3rd round @ 60 strokes (14+15+15+16 SPL)
4th round @ 56 strokes
5th round @ 52 strokes.

Here are my results (recalling some of the intermediate times as closely as I can.)
1st round. 1:34-1:29
2nd round 1:31-1:26
3rd round 1:28-1:23
4th round 1:24-1:19
5th round 1:21-1:15
I repeated this set yesterday, swimming Backstroke and was massively excited with my performance on it. See it here.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story