Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010

Grant
Default new suit rules - slower times

I have just completed my first swim meet (short course meters) as a 75 year old. Also swimming with a jammer instead of my 4 year old full body suit because of the rule change as of Jan1/10. When I bought the full body suit the Speedo rep said it was worth 2% in decreased times. As I never raced with anything else since then I had no comparison other than that first race 4 years ago, which did result in faster times but I also was in top shape physically and mentaly so I really didnt know if it was the suit or not.
This meet's results were slower than last years by about 3%. One caveat is that I am not in top condition but I havent had these times for about 10 years so I think the suit was a factor.
Despite the slower times I was able to set Provincial records in the 50 and 100 Fly and the 200 Free. Just missed the 100 Free by .97 sec. That mark is also the Canadian National record so I am setting my goal for that in the April meet. Am a little farther off the National records for the other three but close enough that they are within range.
Practising using TI drills as warm ups and then doing tempo swims using the Tempo Timer. Do sprint sets Mon and Fri and longer sets on Wed.
My short term goals are to get my times down to where they were with the Speedo full body. One good trade off is that I no longer have to bug my wife or friends to zip or unzip me before and after races. :o)
Old 02-05-2010

Richardsk

Hi Grant

Like you I've just swum my first meet as a 75-79 swimmer. Getting the good news in first, I came home with eight gold (coloured) medals. This is about all the good news there was, apart from the fact that I enjoyed the occasion, which is of course the main reason for attending. Most of my times were way down on my best times, sometimes even plumbing new depths of awfulness. Only the 50m free and breast were within normal limits, that is to say slow but not remarkably slower than usual. Oh well, life can't be a constant picnic I suppose.

The high point of the meet was undoubtedly seeing John Harrison, aged 96, setting a new world European and British record in the 200m back. Seeing him swim, I regretted not having entered this event, which I had decided to leave out because it was followed by the 800m. In fact after a string of terrible times I decided to scratch the 800m as even a decent time for me would be extremely slow and I thought it would be altogether too tedious for the officials and spectators to see me finishing a couple of minutes outside my entry time.

In fact Mr Harrison's splits for 50m and 100m were faster than my times in the individual backstroke events. Oh the ignominy of it!

Now for the rest of the year I must try to regain some ground and get more pool time in.
Old 02-05-2010

Grant

Hey Richard,
I figured you must have been pretty close your first 75+ meet. There is information from excerise physiologists that as humans we begin to loose muscle mass at age 30 by about 2% per year. This downward slide can be slowed or even stopped by technique and training. However they say that at age 75 the decline is 6% per year.
This may be a factor that we both are running into. I swam today in a 50m pool in order to get ready for a LC meet on Feb 20. The strokes felt smooth but was really slow. 8 seconds off per 50m of my 100m time. Back to the drawing board and trust the thrill of competition, excitement and muscle memories (the fast ones) come to the surface. :o)
Good luck on your next meet.
Old 02-06-2010

Richardsk

Grant

I don't think my slump is entirely due to the aging process, although I have no doubt that it's part of it. It's more a consequence of extraneous circumstances interfering with my swimming. There are plenty of masters swimming much older than us who are still putting up excellent times, so age can't be the only factor. Lifting weights is said to help us older chaps keep some of the muscle we would otherwise be losing, so perhaps I'd better get the dumbbells out.

Looking at it another way, a lot of fellows our age are already dead, so let's swim on as long as we can and hope we're still going strong at age 96 or even 97. I'll be swimming in the Welsh Masters in March and expect to be trailing behind a couple of over 80 and over 85 swimmers.
Old 02-07-2010

Grant

I agree that dryland training is really important to maintain muscle strength and slow the downward slide. In the past I would do pushups and dips that really benifited especially my Fly. About two years ago I damaged the long head of the bicep tendon of my left arm doing quick pushups. The medical experts tell me not to do either of these as the tendon is at risk to be completely torn from the bone. They say that rowing is okay so am on a light program of that. Being cautious as I dont want to lose the whole season of my 75 year. As a result technique is being asked to keep me competitive. As good opportunity.