Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018
Oyoguneko

Default First open water challenge

Hi fellow Ti swimmer,

This is my first post actually.
Iím French woman 49 years old and Iím learning Ti freestyle since 2 years. I found the method of Ti very effective and even do a short course in new Paltz with Alice ❤️.
I did my first open water swimming challenge in France in marseille. The place is called le dťfi Monte Cristo at least 4000 swimmers registered for 5k, 2.5k and 1k.
I did train in a very quiet sea where the place I live and didnít have the habits of the waves. My first error was to place myself on the first line because I got submerged by all the swimmers thinking I can manage to swim in the middle of everybodyís !
No I couldnít, I had to switch to breaststroke was unable to continue my initial freestyle. I panic and hyperventilated for 10 seconds, feeling the others swimmers next to me. We were like a bag of worms in the water !!!! Not very glamorous image i know.....
And then I finally stop panic and get slowly the habits to be inside a group of swimmers. Breath normally. I swam freestyle a little bit but not very much as I felt a beginning of a cramp on my left leg. So I think I could have swim faster if I didnít have this problem.
I would say that the proximity of the others was my main problem.
Anyway I enjoy the moment I swam without wetsuit because I want to be , just me and the water, no fins, no mono palm. Mono palm sounds very nice, I think you could imagine being a mermaid.
I wonder if you have ever try mono palm and did it improve your freestyle ?I have different feelings during this open water. Fear, excitement, panic, stop overthinking, breath as slowly as I can and move forward, feeling cold right after the race and finally very excited !!
I finish up my challenge with 41 mn which is correct for me for the first time.
I think about Terry and his commitment to give the best for swimmers with his kaizen mindset. I will be always greatful to him to have discover his method.
Next time I want to try to swim in a lake. What about your experience in an open water competition ? What do you appreciate and not appreciate ?
Old 07-06-2018

Tom Pamperin

Congratulations on your first open water event!

Swimming near other people in races like that is challenging. I usually try to line up on the outside edge of the course where there may be a little room. I have been kicked (by accident) during race starts. It does get easier the more you do it. Your description of the "bag of worms" is exactly how it feels!

What I like about open water is that you never hit a wall--you can just go and go. It's a great way to really practice kaizen and get a good feel for different parts of your stroke.
Old 07-10-2018
Oyoguneko

Thank you Tom for your answer !
Next time I will follow your advice, I was so excited by doing this, so I think I needed to experiment the hustle fear.
Thinking about my stroke it is something I tried to focus on ,when you swam in open water you have a different feelings it s definitively less boring and more relaxing than the pool. 1k is a small competition i will do another one soon but I think I can go for a longest distance now after 1300 meters I felt no exhaustion at all. It became very natural to breath on both side without any discomfort which is for me one of the best gift Terry share to me.
So you are right, Iím thinking about buying a swim buoy....
Old 07-10-2018

Tom Pamperin

A swim buoy would be a good idea to avoid getting run over if there is lots of boat traffic where you swim.

Glad to hear you're enjoying TI in open water. Me, too. I have learned that to swim in waves without losing form, it's really important to keep the head LOW in the water. When I started, my instincts were to raise my head to breathe, but it's actually easier and smoother to breathe when I focus on keeping my head very low in the water. I now actually seek out rough conditions to train in, and with time have gotten very comfortable in big waves.

It is ESPECIALLY in big waves where keeping your head low when breathing, no lifting, makes things easier. That may seem backwards, but I've found it very true.

Last edited by Tom Pamperin : 07-10-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2018

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyoguneko View Post
I was so excited by doing this, so I think I needed to experiment the hustle fear.
Yes, that is the right way to do it. If I am a little afraid of something, I find it's always best to experiment with it until it becomes less frightening and more familiar. Mindful experimentation actually leaves little room for fear--I'm too busy thinking and analyzing to feel afraid. You'll find swimming in crowds feels pretty normal after you've done it some more.
Old 07-12-2018
Oyoguneko

well thank you for the tip I think I might try to do it unconsciously . I donít have the skills yet to swim with a lot of choppy waves , usually where I swim the sea is quiet but I tried as much as possible to let my neck as straight as possible. But thatís funny because when itís more choppy your brain feels it and began to adjusted with the balance of the body . For instance the first time I swam my 1 k to train, I kept making some zigzag and couldnít really swim on a straight line now I just have to do a quick peak in front of me and on the side, itís like my brain has registered the space, the distance and everything . Well this morning there was ocean current so it was different so I needed to adjust myself frequently.
Old 07-12-2018
Oyoguneko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
Yes, that is the right way to do it. If I am a little afraid of something, I find it's always best to experiment with it until it becomes less frightening and more familiar. Mindful experimentation actually leaves little room for fear--I'm too busy thinking and analyzing to feel afraid. You'll find swimming in crowds feels pretty normal after you've done it some more.
I guess so I still have a lot of things to improve. I did have the fear of the depth in the sea especially when itís dark , but I want to do snorkeling to kill this problem.
The path is long but Iím so passionate about it that it doesnít feel that way .