Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012
Coach

CoachBillL
Default Guiding blind swimmers in OW

I was waiting this morning to do a tri swim in the Schuylkill River for a relay team of (other than me) wheelchair athletes and started talking with a blind runner who is interested in open water swimming. Does any coach or swimmer on this list have any experience with this, i.e., swimming tethered to a blind swimmer and navigating for him or her? I think I've found most of what's available online and am looking for personal experience and advice; contact me offsite if you prefer at langw@infionline.net. This would, by the way, be an excellent subject for an ebook, would it not?
Old 06-24-2012

KatieK

Try posting the question here as well: http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussions
Old 06-26-2012

grandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBillL View Post
I was waiting this morning to do a tri swim in the Schuylkill River for a relay team of (other than me) wheelchair athletes and started talking with a blind runner who is interested in open water swimming. Does any coach or swimmer on this list have any experience with this, i.e., swimming tethered to a blind swimmer and navigating for him or her? I think I've found most of what's available online and am looking for personal experience and advice; contact me offsite if you prefer at langw@infionline.net. This would, by the way, be an excellent subject for an ebook, would it not?
Hi Bill,
Below is a contact that should be of help to you. Our tri team has a legally blind triathlete swims in OW. Tell her (Elaine)that you spoke with me..George Randall.
Let me know if this is a help.

Contact
Elaine Vescio
USA Triathlon Certified Coach at Vmps
evescio@mpstraining.com
Old 07-05-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBillL View Post
Hey Coach Bill:

Contact Matt@cdifferent.org. He heads up C-Different that assist/guide the visually impaired in triathlon as well as running, cycling, and long (ow) swimming events.

You can also register to be a guide on their website: cdifferent.org

Stuart
Old 02-08-2014

Suddethb

Coach Bill,

I'm interested in hearing a follow up to your post. How did it go? What did you learn?

I've been approached by a blind runner friend of mine who wants to do a mile open water swim event, and I've been discussing it with Terry who has been offering some wonderful advice. I'd love to hear from you how you got through doing the same thing.
Old 07-18-2014

mjensen2k

There was an inspirational blind woman at my Ironman at the end of June! Amazing. I didn't run across her until the run, but my family told me about her afterward. It reminds me that many of our limitations are clearly self imposed!

Inspirational!
Old 04-27-2015

Suddethb

CoachBillL, see my thread on teaching blind swimmers in the Freestyle Forum area. I'm working with two now.
http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6854
Old 06-17-2018

Suddethb

CoachBillL, any updates? I'm working on that book.