Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hey Swimcoach,

Again - really don't waste your time or get frustrated executing the static float. Those that have to tighten up arms and legs to get there are not going to be the type of tension or posture you will use in freestyle, or any stroke for that matter. Continue with superman glides (no kick) using momentum to keep hips high. When hips begin to drop, repeat with a jump or launch from the pool floor (assuming you're in shallow pool).

Torpedo with a gentle flutter kick, a kick form the hips and not knees you will discover how high and stable your body is in the water and how simple it is to execute. This drill (torpedo with gentle flutter) is one of the best drills to make a true core connection and feel its stability from the middle of your body with NO arms. These movements are what you will use and integrate into your freestyle quickly.

Stu
Old 04-23-2018
LogoNado

Default logonado

informative post thanks for sharing
Old 04-24-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hey Swimcoach,

Torpedo with a gentle flutter kick, a kick form the hips and not knees you will discover how high and stable your body is in the water and how simple it is to execute. This drill (torpedo with gentle flutter) is one of the best drills to make a true core connection and feel its stability from the middle of your body with NO arms. These movements are what you will use and integrate into your freestyle quickly.

Stu
I tried this in the pool yesterday, it requires a constant kick and it was considerably more energy draining than an arms out front float / moving float.

The arms used as balancing tools in a FQ arm action really take the need for a constant kick away.
Old 04-24-2018
swmcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Hey Swimcoach,

Again - really don't waste your time or get frustrated executing the static float. Those that have to tighten up arms and legs to get there are not going to be the type of tension or posture you will use in freestyle, or any stroke for that matter. Continue with superman glides (no kick) using momentum to keep hips high. When hips begin to drop, repeat with a jump or launch from the pool floor (assuming you're in shallow pool).

Stu
I took your advice and moved on from getting myself letdown because I felt I could not find my center of balance(legs would drop at least 45 degree when forward motion stopped during superman) I also invested in a pair of neoprene jammers. I fully understand what people in this forum have said about them but at this point I feel its' the best investment I ever could have made. I now can do any number of drills without having to worry about sinking and kicking harder(thus running out of breath and just trying to get air rather than concentrate on the drill). I can now focus on what the drills are meant for. I realize it is just a crutch at this time but my thinking is as I ingrain the movement of the drills I can slowly remove this crutch. I truly feel without the added buoyancy I would be right back where I was 20 years ago and just be going through the motions of Terry's instruction and not getting the feel ingrained as he instructed. I have been working on kicking in superman, pencil and torpedo and final get the feeling of kicking from the hips. Again thanks to all who have contributed to this topic, this is a welcome and caring group.

swmcoach
Old 04-24-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
I tried this in the pool yesterday, it requires a constant kick and it was considerably more energy draining than an arms out front float / moving float.

The arms used as balancing tools in a FQ arm action really take the need for a constant kick away.
If you are kicking excessively, then you are kicking from the knees and not the hips. As low as my hips are I can kick on 1.3 tempo (1.3 seconds per downward 'flick'), connecting core and easily pop to surface with really a "toe flick" of a kick

This exercise/rehearsal helps the swimmer to become aware of the core connection with the gentlest of kick, as well as if they are excessively kicking from the knees - the human impulse kicking for stability only.

Stuart
Old 04-25-2018

Ken B
Default Thanks coach Stuart

If I lie like a log in salt water my feet float gently to the surface. I can starfish front and back. Since I found that all my effort comes from my core sea swimming is effortless. I recently had a magic sea side holiday swimming wherever I wanted, the only limitation being getting cold. Back in fresh I was immediately aware of drag and my easy rhythm disappeared. When I stretch like a log in fresh I have trouble keeping my feet off the bottom in the 1.4m pool. I tried your torpedo with a new understanding of what it demonstrated and swam much easier. That will be my constant revision over winter. Thanks

Ken
Old 04-25-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Ken,

Good to hear and glad it helps. Core stability from the middle is priority, as well as very calming. Nothing like feeling stable in the water with little kick and no arms. Torpedo also connects the (downward) kick to rotation which in itself is a core stabilizing movement pattern.

One other thing that is a common issue with guys and dragging feet are just that - the feet. Namely tight ankles where the feet are dorsiflexed or foot is 90 degs to the leg while kicking. This foot/ankle position will stop any swimmer in their tracks and never feel a kick from the hips.

In torpedo drill with gentle flutter, point toes or plantar flexion where foot to leg is closer to 170 degs (or more) total. Point foot to its max plantar flexion without adding too much tension (don't lock out ankle), just flex and point toes, feet slightly pigeon-toed. This creates a larger surface and in the plantar flexion position, engages hip flexors promoting a kick from the pelvis and not the knees.

Here's a good illustration of dorsiflexion and plantar flexion, select this link: Dorsi vs Plantar

Stuart