Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2016
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
Found this guy on youtube who gets in a very nice rhythm at higher strokerates after 1 m50.
You can see some rates dont match and others do. He has a great arm anchor in the water too, partially used to connect with his recovery. From 1m54 to 2 m his catch timing is brilliant. Right before the end of his roll to extract a bit of roll energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glYTTTmNKg

People who race at high rates do look out of place at the lowest rates. The opposite probably also holds true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6YoMgYTXco

Offcourse the true TI fans will loooovvvee this style most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RH1V2kCJ6E
ZT, Some interesting discussions lately on SL/SR, and these videos seem to substantiate that there are certainly many differing styles to achieve the desired outcome.

It reminds me of an old adage in solving differential equations that I bet you will understand: You can find a solution by "hook or crook".....the only necessary proof is whether your solution satisfies the equation.....

Different strokes for different folks.....
Old 06-05-2016
ScoopUK

I've not long got back from the pool. Only been playing with a tempo trainer for a couple of swim sessions. My TI coach picked up on my stroke timing other day as I wasn't being patient enough with the leading arm which also affected my breathing as I would press down with my arm rather than back to elevate my head when I took a breath.

Today I was swimming 25m repeats at a tempo of 1.3.
17 strokes per 25m at 26 seconds.

I was swimming 20 strokes per 25m at 30 seconds only a week ago so that's an incredible improvement. Seems comfortable pace but as I was only doing repeats I don't know how long I could keep it up. I was doing these repeats consistently for approximately 1 hr 30 mins with 30 secs rest though so I guess it's sustainable.

I don't know why I didn't start using the tempo trainer sooner. What a great tool.
Old 06-06-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

That's great to hear Scoop, nice work. TT is the best tool and you will rarely need to use pace clock other than to measure your time in the turn. If you are at 17 strokes at 1.3 secs per stroke (and assuming 20 yards stroked after 5yard glide off wall), you can also calculate 100y pace with single length metrics, i.e. 17strokes x 1.3 tempo x 5 = 110.5 seconds or 1:50.5. Why x5? There are 5 20's in 100 yards.

Enjoy!

Stuart
Old 06-06-2016

jenson1a

Coach Stuart

Scoop is swimming in a 25 meter pool, not yards. I guess he can figure out the math

Sherry
Old 06-06-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for pointing that out, (UK metric, oh duh). And right - just change units from yards to meters, so for Scoop 100m pace = 1:50.5. Most important is measuring glide distance off the wall to determine stroking distance. In your case I think you have 22 yard pool? 22y - 4y glide = 18y stroked, and so on ...

Stuart
Old 06-06-2016

drtse

Interestingly, Coach Anna writes about how she 'switched' from TI teaching methods to SwimSmooth for both herself personally and to accommodate needs of different Tri athletes.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2016/...mmers.html?m=1
Old 06-06-2016
ScoopUK

25 metres is 27.34 yards for you non metric folk.
Old 06-06-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Right! I wish US would have followed through moving to metric system back in late 70's, so much simpler and straight forward, 6.2mile = 10k, 26.2 = 42k. Too much resistance from US industries to make the switch.
Old 06-06-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti97 View Post
Tom, Look at this link posted by descending on the other thread....at about 0:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh_dz45aT3I

is this 'swinger' style what you are talking about?
Nope, that's not what I've been starting to play around with. Basically I realized in the middle of a repeat that my patient lead arm had built a habit of leisurely movement into my stroke which had spilled over into the recovery, and if I could keep the patient lead arm but speed up the conventional elbow-led recovery that TI teaches, I could swim at faster tempos with minimal added effort.

So the effect is that the arm moves much more quickly above the water during recovery, and then slows way down for the patient catch and the underwater portion of the stroke.

It still feels odd to me, but the few times when I've gotten that right, I swam faster tempos with the same SPL--thus faster, but with no more real effort. I'll get back to that eventually, but have been really working on involving my shoulders in recovery to make a strong kick-core-catch connection right now.
Old 06-06-2016

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Higher stroke rate, more kicks = increased effort - always.
This is interesting to hear because my own experience has not fit this pattern UNLESS you specify that the higher SR comes with the same stroke distance (SPL).

I've found that by upping my stroke rate but decreasing stroke length minimally (+1 or +2 SPL), my speed increases while my perceived effort drops dramatically.

I suspect that's because in much of my practice I'm an extreme outlier for low SPL, low SR, slow tempo swimming, though, so maybe it's not the same as everyone. But allowing myself extra strokes per length automatically seems to make me faster, but I work less hard than I do when I swim more slowly with a lower SPL.